The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

God damnit why is it when you have a large word count you have trouble filling out the count but a low word count you can write loads and have trouble trying to crop it down >=|
Disaster happened last night! I was editing one of my chapters for my dissertation, sorting out my bibiliography and had ammended by introduction. I hadn;t yet backed up to emails/dropbox/memory stick and then my comoptuer went to pieces with error signs comign up left, right and centre. plugged my memory stick in in desperate attempt to get the files I hadn't backed up off the laptop and when I took the memory stick out it ltierallty fell to pieces!!! Rushed laptop to dad who managed to get the other files I needed off onto another memory stick, but my laptop is in dire state and we're having to phone up about the guarentee/warranty as pc world instore help staff can't do anything with it :frown: Urghhh, tipping me over the egd,e but thank goodness I have my files! For awhile I thought I had lost them!
I'm ready for the day thanks to my egg on toast :yum:. Loving this rainy weather (seriously) it's the best sort of weather for me to work in. Nice and cosy. Going to go get another 1,000 words today. I will have 3,000 by the end of the day.

Anyone watch 'The wright stuff' today? There was a discussion about luck and whether or not we create our own - by working hard and being kind to people. In terms of academics/jobs I do tend to agree - the harder I work, the 'luckier' I get (i.e. good things happen in those areas of my life). Anyway, it was a nice bit of inspiration to start the day off with :smile:.
Done doing my online job search, not many vacancies. I should have woken up early in the morning to do it, will make sure I get up early tomorrow :yes: But I did apply online for one lol, hopefully all these job apps that I'm doing will get me a full time job to pass the time from now until uni in September :yep:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1884
:ashamed:

1200 / 2500 words for Intro to early childhood done
638 / 1500 words for The Writer's Voice
Not started yet, but did all research / 3500 words for Social policy & legislation of children and families.
:frown:

Determined to finish them all by 27th, but ARGH. I can't focus, Craig Ferguson interviews with Kristen Bell are far more exciting! :frown:
Sat down to revise but the knowledge of the sheer amount of *******s I need to learn for a module (which I'm not even interested in) really isn't helping with my motivation.
Original post by BeyondandAbove
I wish I could do the same. Alas, I booked my flight for the 20th, and rebooking it would 1) be extremely expensive and 2) I'd get in trouble with my parents. I already got in trouble for suggesting I could come a day later. :colonhash:

Couldn't get any studying done so far and I doubt the library here is open on Easter Monday. I might go there tomorrow, though. I will just force myself to wake up at 8 am and try to go to bed early tonight to actually succeed.

:ninja: where do you live?
Due to only having woken up at 2, I'm just about to start revision now.
Original post by Crazy Paving
:ninja: where do you live?

Do you mean during term time or whenever there's a study break? :tongue:
Original post by Torrchy

Determined to finish them all by 27th, but ARGH. I can't focus, Craig Ferguson interviews with Kristen Bell are far more exciting! :frown:

Haha, have you seen the sloth thingy on Ellen?
Reply 1890
Original post by Shadowplay
Haha, have you seen the sloth thingy on Ellen?

Yess, I'm a huge Bell fan :biggrin: But seriously, what can be funnier than these interviews?! [video="youtube;ExhoRZ4elHo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhoRZ4elHo[/video]
Original post by angel_night
Disaster happened last night! I was editing one of my chapters for my dissertation, sorting out my bibiliography and had ammended by introduction. I hadn;t yet backed up to emails/dropbox/memory stick and then my comoptuer went to pieces with error signs comign up left, right and centre. plugged my memory stick in in desperate attempt to get the files I hadn't backed up off the laptop and when I took the memory stick out it ltierallty fell to pieces!!! Rushed laptop to dad who managed to get the other files I needed off onto another memory stick, but my laptop is in dire state and we're having to phone up about the guarentee/warranty as pc world instore help staff can't do anything with it :frown: Urghhh, tipping me over the egd,e but thank goodness I have my files! For awhile I thought I had lost them!

know the feeling. I am contemplating the next 8 weeks without a laptop (but i will thankfully have a borrowed net book). Mine died on thursday and I am hoping I may be able to recover it as I don't have all my files backed up (but thankfully the dissertation was on a stick!)

Dissertation is a bit stuck though, considering I don't have word on the net book and I have lots of graphs and equations not backwards compatible to earlier versions/alternatives :frown:
Original post by ellejaytee
know the feeling. I am contemplating the next 8 weeks without a laptop (but i will thankfully have a borrowed net book). Mine died on thursday and I am hoping I may be able to recover it as I don't have all my files backed up (but thankfully the dissertation was on a stick!)

Dissertation is a bit stuck though, considering I don't have word on the net book and I have lots of graphs and equations not backwards compatible to earlier versions/alternatives :frown:

Original post by angel_night

:eek::eek: After hearing your stories.. I should mabye back up my files like now haha cause my own laptop is slowly dying. It is actually a nightmare to work with right now, and I have everything on here including all my lab reports due in.. so I should probably save them on a stick :redface:
Reading all of your stories, I am so glad I am done with all of my assignments.

I remember when I had to finish a lab report and my friend and I were sat in her room the night before. It was 3 am, she had a lab at 10 am and mine wasn't until the week after. She said, "You should totally come to my lab tomorrow." I decided it might be a good idea because then I'd be done with everything and had the Friday the week after off!
This also meant doing three lab reports in one day. :colonhash: Thankfully, the other two were only 5-7 pages filled with questions... My friend and I started the one that was due for the lab I planned on going to half an hour before it commenced. We still weren't done with our proper lab report yet. During the lab we got another lab report to fill out during the lab with our investigations.
Finished everything in time. Worst day ever, though.

Babies don't sleep that well.

Never leaving anything until the day before again ever! EVER! :colonhash:

I remember doing the first proper lab report the night before and listening to the Llama Song in loop for over 8 hours with the same friend. Hate all nighters. Especially with energy drinks.

Meh. :p: I am procrastinating again. Back to studying.
Reading all of your stories, I am so glad I am done with all of my assignments.

I remember when I had to finish a lab report and my friend and I were sat in her room the night before. It was 3 am, she had a lab at 10 am and mine wasn't until the week after. She said, "You should totally come to my lab tomorrow." I decided it might be a good idea because then I'd be done with everything and had the Friday the week after off!
This also meant doing three lab reports in one day. :colonhash: Thankfully, the other two were only 5-7 pages filled with questions... My friend and I started the one that was due for the lab I planned on going to half an hour before it commenced. We still weren't done with our proper lab report yet. During the lab we got another lab report to fill out during the lab with our investigations.
Finished everything in time. Worst day ever, though.

Babies don't sleep that well.

Never leaving anything until the day before again ever! EVER! :colonhash:

I remember doing the first proper lab report the night before and listening to the Llama Song in loop for over 8 hours with the same friend. Hate all nighters. Especially with energy drinks.

Meh. :p: I am procrastinating again. Back to studying.

So damn ****ing true!!!!!!!!!!

The exact same happened to me 2 weeks ago before the Easter break! I had 2 lab reports due in for the Friday before we broke up for Easter.. and stupid me decided to do it that night cause I didn't think it would take that long...I started them at like 10 and I was up until half 2 in the morning doing it, then I had to get up at 7 for lectures.. still not finished the lab reports :facepalm:
Had a lecture at 9, and then an hour break so I went to the lab to try and finish it off.. still not finished, then I had another lecture at 11, so I went there and then sat right at the back to finish of my lab reports instead of actually paying attention to the lecturer haha. Still didn't finish it off! :argh:

Then I was finished for the day after that, so again I went to the lab to do the lab reports and hand them in... I was there till bloody 3pm doing them!
So all in all took me a good 7/8 hours to do 2 lab reports.

Moral of the story ? NEVER BLOODY LEAVE LAB REPORTS TILL THE DAY BEFORE THEY'RE DUE IN!!!!!!! Never in my life have I ever been so damn stressed out before.

It was such a sigh of relief when I finally handed them in lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you mean during term time or whenever there's a study break? :tongue:

I mean wherever it is you need to fly to. :colonhash:
Everyone says they're never leaving anything til the last minute but it never works. Here I am with half a dissertation to do in a week....
Original post by hothedgehog
Everyone says they're never leaving anything til the last minute but it never works. Here I am with half a dissertation to do in a week....

I know haha :tongue:. You'd have thought I'd learnt my lesson.. but no, it always happens every single time!

Good luck with the disso though :smile:
Eugh, been invited to dinner and had to cancel. Stupid illness. What's more annoying is that the people I'm going with would annoy me after a while :rant:

I think I'm going to try and finish group theory today.
Original post by VanillaTwilight
So damn ****ing true!!!!!!!!!!

The exact same happened to me 2 weeks ago before the Easter break! I had 2 lab reports due in for the Friday before we broke up for Easter.. and stupid me decided to do it that night cause I didn't think it would take that long...I started them at like 10 and I was up until half 2 in the morning doing it, then I had to get up at 7 for lectures.. still not finished the lab reports :facepalm:
Had a lecture at 9, and then an hour break so I went to the lab to try and finish it off.. still not finished, then I had another lecture at 11, so I went there and then sat right at the back to finish of my lab reports instead of actually paying attention to the lecturer haha. Still didn't finish it off! :argh:

Then I was finished for the day after that, so again I went to the lab to do the lab reports and hand them in... I was there till bloody 3pm doing them!
So all in all took me a good 7/8 hours to do 2 lab reports.

Moral of the story ? NEVER BLOODY LEAVE LAB REPORTS TILL THE DAY BEFORE THEY'RE DUE IN!!!!!!! Never in my life have I ever been so damn stressed out before.

It was such a sigh of relief when I finally handed them in lol.

I think it might work with essays where you actually don't need to evaluate and discuss the data you gathered in your lab. :p: That is the most stressful part because usually the data always ends up being wrong. :sigh:

Original post by Crazy Paving
I mean wherever it is you need to fly to. :colonhash:

I need to fly to Edinburgh. :smile:

Latest