Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by snakeyface
Lots of resources in my stress folder :smile:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5noppk9npodvjs9/XnJ6xfZkXs

Thanks, that's really useful :-)
Reply 261
Original post by Lauramayxxxx
Hey, I've been taught the little hans case study for the psychodynamic approach too, but I don't understand it and how it links to supporting the approach :s can you explain please? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I personally wouldn't use it to support the approach (mainly because I think the entire approach is a load of bull... but that's another matter).

Basically Freud used it to show his approach in real life; Little Hans is supposedly demonstrating the Oedipus complex; he is scared of his father - he is unconsciously jealous of his mother's love for his father, and is thus fearing that he will castrate him. Hans saw a horse fall over and now has a phobia of horses, and according to Freud, it is because he sees the horse as representing his father - the blinkers on the horse are like his father's glasses.

On the other hand, for a little child to see a horse fall over would be a traumatic experience, so it's probably that that is causing the phobia, not Freud's theory...
oh goodness I need to start studying for this exam
I've just finished marking a paper but I don't really know how to mark it properly, the mark scheme is so subjective!

I'm used to chem and bio where specific points give you marks, not '3 further marks for elaboration'.

And for the amount of stuff you can write on the 12 mark questions I have no idea how to discriminate between 4-6 marks for AO1/AO2. Two or more explanations in less detail? One explanation in more detail? This is not quantitative! :angry:
Original post by imyza
Thanks, that's really useful :-)

Glad it's useful! I have a crapload more resources for the other topics too that I'll put up. Can't take much credit though, it's only the stuff I downloaded from my college website :P
Reply 265
I've just finished marking a paper but I don't really know how to mark it properly, the mark scheme is so subjective!

I'm used to chem and bio where specific points give you marks, not '3 further marks for elaboration'.

And for the amount of stuff you can write on the 12 mark questions I have no idea how to discriminate between 4-6 marks for AO1/AO2. Two or more explanations in less detail? One explanation in more detail? This is not quantitative! :angry:

AO1 is pretty much 1 mark for each valid point. E.g:

- Milgram asked for volunteers in a newspaper
- Asked them to give electric shocks to a "learner" when he answered a question wrong
- Shocks increased in severity from 15 volts to 450 volts
- 100% of participants gave 300 volts (potentially lethal)
- 65% gave full 450 volts (lethal)
- Researcher gave "prods"; "you must continue", "the experiment requires that you continue" etc...

AO2 is 2 marks per detailed evaluation. 6 marks would be:

- Ethics, protection from harm, many participants came out psychologically scarred

- Individual differences; volunteer study, may be that the type of people that signs up for research from an ad in a newspaper are more likely to obey anyway, thus is may not be generalisible

+ Lab study, high control, fewer extraneous variables, higher internal validity
Reply 266
Original post by kj14
55th a level exam r u serious what did u fail like 10 times??

did 7AS and 5A2. didnt fail just wanted Bs up to As.
Reply 267
...must remember that I have knowledge from unit 1 research methods so can use it for Milgram's study.
Reply 268
its strange because A02 is evaluation when I just write what comes into my head.
Original post by Tim Kelly
AO1 is pretty much 1 mark for each valid point.

AO2 is 2 marks per detailed evaluation.

Wow thank you! I had no idea it was broken down like that!

Really helpful, +1 :biggrin:
Reply 270
Can somone please tell me how you would set up a 12 marker on 'out line and evaluate/ discuss research on independant behaviour..?'
I've posted this here a lot but getting no reply..

and im struggling with this part...I hate social influence in everyday life..

what about implications for social change, could we get a 12 marker on that?
Original post by Tim Kelly
I personally wouldn't use it to support the approach (mainly because I think the entire approach is a load of bull... but that's another matter).

Basically Freud used it to show his approach in real life; Little Hans is supposedly demonstrating the Oedipus complex; he is scared of his father - he is unconsciously jealous of his mother's love for his father, and is thus fearing that he will castrate him. Hans saw a horse fall over and now has a phobia of horses, and according to Freud, it is because he sees the horse as representing his father - the blinkers on the horse are like his father's glasses.

On the other hand, for a little child to see a horse fall over would be a traumatic experience, so it's probably that that is causing the phobia, not Freud's theory...

Thank you! So what is it we could use to support the approach, would it be research to support the approach or points such as the Freudian theory still being used today in therapies for psychopathology?

Reply 272
has anyone got any predictions for the questions? :/
Reply 273
Thank you! So what is it we could use to support the approach, would it be research to support the approach or points such as the Freudian theory still being used today in therapies for psychopathology?

I suppose to support it you could say that it is kind of what spurred on counselling etc.

You *could* state Little Hans, as it shows it's application in real-life, but then argue against it, with the idea he's probably just scared of the horse.

You could also say it's ethically better as it doesn't put the blame on the individual, but rather their parents (although you could also argue that if the blame doesn't lie with them, it is deterministic, and thus does not allow people to take their recovery into their own hands.)

Generally, its much easier to argue against the psychodynamic approach :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Saif95
Can somone please tell me how you would set up a 12 marker on 'out line and evaluate/ discuss research on independant behaviour..?'

If the question was outline and evaluate independant behaviour, you'd first of all start with your AO1 which is worth 6 marks, here you need to discuss how individuals are independent, so for example having a high internal LOC, having a low reactance, gender (research suggests males are more likely to have an internal locus of control), your personality etc... or if it was outline and evaluate research you discuss the research here to support independant behaviour.

Then you need to evaluate this, so this could be adding research to support what you put for your AO1 points, such as Linz et al supporting the gender point. If the part of the question was outline and evaluate research, you'd use methodological evaluative points, such as stating limitations like research being conducted in a lab etc.. :smile:

Reply 275
Original post by Saif95

Uh. I don't think there's any A02 for it? But me and Tim posted what you'd put in a question on independent behaviour further up the page...
Original post by merin
has anyone got any predictions for the questions? :/

I personally think that the 12 mark question is going to be on social influence.. which I pray to god it isn't! :')
Reply 277
Glad it's useful! I have a crapload more resources for the other topics too that I'll put up. Can't take much credit though, it's only the stuff I downloaded from my college website :P

Oh okay, let me know when you put more up :-P
Reply 278
If the question was outline and evaluate independant behaviour, you'd first of all start with your AO1 which is worth 6 marks, here you need to discuss how individuals are independent, so for example having a high internal LOC, having a low reactance, gender (research suggests males are more likely to have an internal locus of control), your personality etc... or if it was outline and evaluate research you discuss the research here to support independant behaviour.

Then you need to evaluate this, so this could be adding research to support what you put for your AO1 points, such as Linz et al supporting the gender point. If the part of the question was outline and evaluate research, you'd use methodological evaluative points, such as stating limitations like research being conducted in a lab etc.. :smile:

Im asking about independant behaviour (resisting social influence)...my teacher told me that individual differences in independant behaviour (locus of control and attributional style) has been deleted from the spec and it also says...

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF
Original post by Saif95
Im asking about independant behaviour (resisting social influence)...my teacher told me that individual differences in independant behaviour (locus of control and attributional style) has been deleted from the spec and it also says...

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12-SOC.PDF

I'm pretty sure LOC is still included seems as I've still been taught it and the changes were made in 2011, also if you look on the specification LOC is still on there.

Also what I said was independent behaviour. Having an internal LOC can explain why people can resist the pressures to conform and obey (which what I said about gender links to). Reactance can explain why people can resist conforming, having an anti-conformist personality means you can resist the pressures to conform.
When resisting the pressures to obey you can mention having reduced proximity, social heroism (such as Rosa Parkes or Nelson Mandella), and being in the autonomous state etc...

Quick Reply