The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Accomodation @Keele

Has everyone/anyone got responses back about uni accommodation? First years in particular?

I still haven't heard from them. Should I be giving them a ring or something?
Reply 1
From the accommodation website:-

Timeline For New Student Applications
Date What Happens When
1st April onwards Accommodation information sent to applicants
1st May - 31st May Applicants apply for accommodation
31st May Deadline for UK students accommodation applications
2nd August onwards Accommodation allocated to deferred applicants
18th August onwards Accommodation allocated to Firm and/or Insurance applicants (after examination results confirmed)
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Hi,

What the previous post says is correct. We will be informed of accomodation from 18th August onwards. So don't worry, we just have another month to wait before we find out where we have been allocated.
Reply 3
Original post by megan.c
From the accommodation website:-

Timeline For New Student Applications
Date What Happens When
1st April onwards Accommodation information sent to applicants
1st May - 31st May Applicants apply for accommodation
31st May Deadline for UK students accommodation applications
2nd August onwards Accommodation allocated to deferred applicants
18th August onwards Accommodation allocated to Firm and/or Insurance applicants (after examination results confirmed)

Original post by manderson
Hi,

What the previous post says is correct. We will be informed of accomodation from 18th August onwards. So don't worry, we just have another month to wait before we find out where we have been allocated.

That's great, thanks guys :smile: I hope it goes well.
Reply 4
Original post by tamimi
That's great, thanks guys :smile: I hope it goes well.

You're welcome :smile:
I hope so too! What type of room are you hoping to get?
Reply 5
Original post by megan.c
You're welcome :smile:
I hope so too! What type of room are you hoping to get?

I splashed out on a Premiere En suite. What about you?

It means I only get to eat twice a day but hey who cares when you have your own toilette. :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by tamimi
I splashed out on a Premiere En suite. What about you?

It means I only get to eat twice a day but hey who cares when you have your own toilette. :colondollar:

I went for a flat of 4 people - I can deal with sharing a toilet/shower but as long as it's not between too many people!!
Reply 7
Original post by megan.c
I went for a flat of 4 people - I can deal with sharing a toilet/shower but as long as it's not between too many people!!

Ah. Yes. Well, I'm trying to minimise my shared-space. I intend on putting dibs on a cupboard in the kitchen for myself. I might even put a lock on it, after all the crap I heard about uni accommodation :ahee:
Reply 8
Original post by tamimi
Ah. Yes. Well, I'm trying to minimise my shared-space. I intend on putting dibs on a cupboard in the kitchen for myself. I might even put a lock on it, after all the crap I heard about uni accommodation :ahee:

I was at a uni last year (didn't like it so I left), my flat was of 9 people and we all had two cupboards and a drawer in the kitchen. Everyone trusted each other and got on so it was all good :smile: think the stuff people hear gets exaggerated! But I still wouldn't fancy being in one of those big blocks where anyone can walk in.
Reply 9
Original post by megan.c
I was at a uni last year (didn't like it so I left), my flat was of 9 people and we all had two cupboards and a drawer in the kitchen. Everyone trusted each other and got on so it was all good :smile: think the stuff people hear gets exaggerated! But I still wouldn't fancy being in one of those big blocks where anyone can walk in.

I don't mind if someone wants to share my stuff, provided they give them a good scrub and put them back afterwards. I'm meant to be sharing with 6 or 8. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by tamimi
I don't mind if someone wants to share my stuff, provided they give them a good scrub and put them back afterwards. I'm meant to be sharing with 6 or 8. :smile:

I hated it whenever something that should've been clean and in my cupboard would magically end up dirty by the sink ¬_¬
One problem I had living in halls in my 1st year was people cheekily taking your stuff out of the freezer. This is particularly a problem if people all buy the same chips or something so nobody knows which is their's and just helps themselves to the closest one. Or people forget what they've bought as it gets moved around and buried by stuff so they buy more and by week 6 you can barely get the door to close! To save being too sad and labelling all your food - one tip is to get those big zip-lock bags and stick all your freezer stuff in one. That way you always know where your stuff is, how much you've got and a thief is less likely to help themself when it's all tucked away and will probably be missed!
Original post by bubble_spot
One problem I had living in halls in my 1st year was people cheekily taking your stuff out of the freezer. This is particularly a problem if people all buy the same chips or something so nobody knows which is their's and just helps themselves to the closest one. Or people forget what they've bought as it gets moved around and buried by stuff so they buy more and by week 6 you can barely get the door to close! To save being too sad and labelling all your food - one tip is to get those big zip-lock bags and stick all your freezer stuff in one. That way you always know where your stuff is, how much you've got and a thief is less likely to help themself when it's all tucked away and will probably be missed!

We just initial our freezer food with a sharpie and then put it in a carrier bag for easier identification. Takes two seconds and really saved us a lot of hassle and arguments.

OP: during my first year at Keele I didn't really have any major problems with sharing things. There were a few occasions where someone had used something and not washed up immediately but on the whole it wasn't too bad. We have two cupboards each plus a drawer and two fridges and freezers between 6 of us (Barnes X so new build with so much space) but my girlfriend's experience of Keele was the polar opposite. My kitchen was about ten times the size of hers! We had to share cupboards and kept the majority of the food in our bedroom but everything was constantly vanishing or being left dirty because there just wasn't the space to avoid sharing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by bubble_spot

Original post by ParadoxSocks

I've actually got some of those lying about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm0-OawQRFQ

Considering using them. Despite how socially unacceptable that may be :rolleyes:
Reply 14
I have a question about the induction hobs, what kind of cookware is compatible with it?
Reply 15
Original post by LaShy
I have a question about the induction hobs, what kind of cookware is compatible with it?

Any ferromagnet metal. I.e. Stuff that stick to magnets.

You can also buy "Adapters" that convert induction heat to your bog standard heat, but I don't know if these are supplied by Keele. Like this one: http://www.armorica.co.uk/mauviel-induction-hob-converter-disc.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by tamimi
Any ferromagnet metal. I.e. Stuff that stick to magnets.

You can also buy "Adapters" that convert induction heat to your bog standard heat, but I don't know if these are supplied by Keele. Like this one: http://www.armorica.co.uk/mauviel-induction-hob-converter-disc.html

Thanks, I think keele offers a kitchen starter pack but it isn't compatible with the induction hobs.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Depending on which hall/block you are in, you won't necessarily even have a cupboard to yourself, especially if you are in Hawthorns A-M blocks, for instance. Most people keep what they can in their room, which also means it doesn't go missing. Some of the kitchens do have room for people to fill a plastic box/tub with things and keep it in the corner of the kitchen, but it does depend on exactly which block you end up in.
Reply 18
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
Depending on which hall/block you are in, you won't necessarily even have a cupboard to yourself, especially if you are in Hawthorns A-M blocks, for instance. Most people keep what they can in their room, which also means it doesn't go missing. Some of the kitchens do have room for people to fill a plastic box/tub with things and keep it in the corner of the kitchen, but it does depend on exactly which block you end up in.

I imagine if there's no means for me to have a locked cupboard, I'd keep my stuff in my room anyway. Especially that I've heard Keele has the kitchens shared amongst a large number of students. But that too depends on what halls I end up in I suppose. :dontknow:

Quick Reply