The Student Room Group

Dad said im wasting my life/time going college

im doing as levels in a sixth form college and want to be an accountant. Im studying Economics, Statistics, History and Sociology. He said my subjects are poor and i feel terrible because my college is so far and i put so much effort in and know i feel im going to fail at everything. Do you think I should change my subjects, ive been doing as levels for 3 weeks and i could make a late change.
Reply 1
statistics? why not maths?
Original post by Princess16
im doing as levels in a sixth form college and want to be an accountant. Im studying Economics, Statistics, History and Sociology. He said my subjects are poor and i feel terrible because my college is so far and i put so much effort in and know i feel im going to fail at everything. Do you think I should change my subjects, ive been doing as levels for 3 weeks and i could make a late change.

Moderators, could you please move this thread to the A-level forum?

Cheers.

OP, you put this thread in the wrong forum, hopefully it gets moved so someone best able can answer your question!

Your subjects aren't poor, do you like maths? You could do AS maths and see how it goes?

EDIT : negged? lmao
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
He's talking rubbish, the majority of university's offering accounting and finance will accept those subjects. Economics and stats tie in quite well, obviously some prefer a level maths but not many will require it. How did you do in Gcse maths? A few of the better unis require a B but honestly if you enjoy the subjects and you think you will well with them carry them on. Don't think you have to do 3 science A levels with maths, i did this and am certainly regretting it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Your subjects aren't poor. And there's no reason why you shouldn't do well and achieve what you want to achieve, provided you put the work in.
Those subjects sound fine - don't worry about your Dad, if you're prepared to put in the work and do some extracurriculars to support your application you should have a good chance :smile:
Don't listen to your dad, it doesn't really have anything to do with him. I mean I know you live with him, you love him and he IS your dad but he isn't the one studying, he isn't the one teaching you, he's not deciding where you go for university or whether you get in or not and he's not employing you, either. It's nice when your parents support what you want to do but it isn't necessary. If he says it again then just tell him that you respect his opinion but if that's the case then he should just let you make what he believes to be a mistake.
My dad is supportive of my education and happiness but it didn't stop him asking stuff like "can't you be an engineer instead?" (I suspect so I can fix his stuff for free) and "can't you study to be a doctor instead?" I know what I want to do and even if he doesn't mean it to, hearing stuff like that can sting a bit but it's up to me what I do and it's up to me to get there. It's up to you if you want to become an accountant and it's your responsibility to get you there, regardless of your father's opinion.
Original post by Princess16

Are you asian by an chance? If you are, you're dad wants you to do medicine, not accounting :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by sliceofcake
Don't listen to your dad, it doesn't really have anything to do with him. I mean I know you live with him, you love him and he IS your dad but he isn't the one studying, he isn't the one teaching you, he's not deciding where you go for university or whether you get in or not and he's not employing you, either. It's nice when your parents support what you want to do but it isn't necessary. If he says it again then just tell him that you respect his opinion but if that's the case then he should just let you make what he believes to be a mistake.
My dad is supportive of my education and happiness but it didn't stop him asking stuff like "can't you be an engineer instead?" (I suspect so I can fix his stuff for free) and "can't you study to be a doctor instead?" I know what I want to do and even if he doesn't mean it to, hearing stuff like that can sting a bit but it's up to me what I do and it's up to me to get there. It's up to you if you want to become an accountant and it's your responsibility to get you there, regardless of your father's opinion.

It's usually more a lack of understanding than anything else. Your parents, particularly those that did not go to Uni, will most commonly be in contact with Medics, Engineers or Lawyers/Solictors and that will be their main contact with graduate professions. They tend not to understand the other career paths opened up by further education. Instead of disregarding their opinion, talk to them. Explain it to them.

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Are you asian by an chance? If you are, you're dad wants you to do medicine, not accounting :smile:

You're forgetting Law :tongue:

OP for what it's worth, my father really wanted me to do medicine. For a while so did I. Then I realised I really didn't enjoy the patient interaction. Although sometimes very engaging, in times of distress I was useless.
I'm now headed in a scientific research direction as I do really enjoy the science and just playing in a lab :smile: I explained this to my father and he's actually very supportive, whereas he wasn't before when I initially told him I wouldn't want to do medicine, it turns out it's because he didn't understand the career path I'd chosen and the need for researchers.

You subjects are ok. You'll be put in better stead with Maths instead of statistics.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending