The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Birkbeck Chat and Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Is anyone studying/studied the MSc Information Technology course? What is it like?
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Hey! Is anyone here starting in October as an undergrad? I'm going to be studying Journalism and Media :smile: x
Anyone studying biomedicine ??? I'm applying as an undergrad!
Hi, anyone currently studying Film and Media at Birkbeck that can give me an idea of what it's like?thanks :smile:
Currently a Psychology BSc student at BBK. Birkbeck is very much what you make of it! I would check out your department closely to see if it fits what you want. It's definitely not the most plush Uni out there, but the evening study is of course an attractive feature for mature students/people who want to work during the days. If you don't need to work during the days, I wouldn't choose it TBH.
Hi, is anyone going to be studying Law at Birkbeck for the October 2017 start date. Be nice to find others who are going to be in the same boat soon.
Original post by gnorburn
Hi, is anyone going to be studying Law at Birkbeck for the October 2017 start date. Be nice to find others who are going to be in the same boat soon.

I probably will be, I've got a conditional offer
What's the conditions of your offer? Are you London based or are you moving there?
Original post by gnorburn
What's the conditions of your offer? Are you London based or are you moving there?

Yea I am London based. However I study up north, Law with foundation year.

I applied to transfer, so I just gotta pass my fdn year.

Wbu
London based too. Got an unconditional offer. Where in London you from?
East London
Is it normal for Birkbeck to offer you an interview after only three days you've sent the application? Also with one reference still missing.
Hey friend,I'm interested in starting this program. Is there any possibility I can get in contact with you and ask you a few questions about the course? Would be a huge help to me. Thanks in advance.
Anyone studying Contemporary History and Politics?
Reply 414
Original post by Revd. Mike
Didn't see this thread until just now, but I go to Birkbeck! There aren't many here that do though.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on the only 'alright' and 'not prestigious' comment. Birkbeck has the highest student satisfaction results in London, and a very high graduate employment rating. There's a very good reason for this, partly because studying part time often allows you a chance to build up experience which most full time graduates will lack, but also because of the fact that doing a part time degree requires a lot of commitment and is, frankly, not easy. Employers know this, and seeing someone with a good degree from Birkbeck speaks volumes about their work ethic and character on top of their academics.

Also, I wouldn't know personally as I study in the Biosciences, but I'm told that Birkbeck has a very strong Business department and that their MBA program is quite highly regarded.

are you finding jobs after biosciences?
Reply 415
Original post by Chez231
Anyone studying biomedicine ??? I'm applying as an undergrad!

How is first year like in bbl? would you advise it?
This won't be true of all courses but their environmental msc stuff is first year undergrad at best
Reply 417
Original post by mashbbk
I am starting MSc Computer science (part-time) this October. Any advice/tips with respect to preparing oneself for the course, particularly equipment/software wise?

Hi there,

Sorry to reply to an old post of yours from 2016, but I wanted to find out more about the MSc Computer Science / Data Science interview and aptitude test at Birkbeck.

I am applying for the conversion masters (I have no CS background), but I have been learning Python recently. I am aware that the aptitude test is around Python, but I'm not exactly sure how to prep for it.

Any tips on the interview and test would be really appreciated!

Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by C2K13
Hi there,

Sorry to reply to an old post of yours from 2016, but I wanted to find out more about the MSc Computer Science / Data Science interview and aptitude test at Birkbeck.

I am applying for the conversion masters (I have no CS background), but I have been learning Python recently. I am aware that the aptitude test is around Python, but I'm not exactly sure how to prep for it.

Any tips on the interview and test would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey,

When I did the aptitude test, it was based in Java (with option to use C++). The questions were varied from "What does this code do" to "Write code which accepts input of exam results by a teacher and then aggregates the data to show how many got x or y grades", stuff like that. They won't really care too much about syntax, but your methodology to get to the solution.

The only tip really is just go through the material they gave you and design the solution (in draft, or in your head) before putting pen to paper when answering the questions. I didn't think it was hard, was pretty straight forward and I had barely prepared for it - the feed back was that I did really well and was told I'll be getting an offer on the day, so here's hoping it goes well for you too!
Reply 419
Original post by mashbbk
Hey,

When I did the aptitude test, it was based in Java (with option to use C++). The questions were varied from "What does this code do" to "Write code which accepts input of exam results by a teacher and then aggregates the data to show how many got x or y grades", stuff like that. They won't really care too much about syntax, but your methodology to get to the solution.

The only tip really is just go through the material they gave you and design the solution (in draft, or in your head) before putting pen to paper when answering the questions. I didn't think it was hard, was pretty straight forward and I had barely prepared for it - the feed back was that I did really well and was told I'll be getting an offer on the day, so here's hoping it goes well for you too!

Thank you for your response, very helpful. I'll need to improve my Python skills to be honest. Hoping I'll be ok for the interview and test!

Are you studying for the Computer Science course full-time or part-time? How have you found it so far?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending