The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Peterhouse (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam18733
Hi, I don't know if this thread is still in use but I would appreciate any feedback if so. I want to apply for English Lit as a post A-level student and am wondering if my application is realistic.

My GCSEs were less than satisfactory considering I completed them at a top state school: 2A*, 3A, 5B. In contrast, my AS UMS averaged at 95% (I took English, History and Geography and dropped Psychology).

However, I couldn't complete 75% of my A2 exams due to medical circumstances and so the exam board gave me my grades. Annoyingly, I was only given 72% in my History exam; this pulls my AS mark of 98% in History down to 85%. I ended up achieving A*A*A with an average UMS score over the two years of: English (90%), Geog (93.75%), History (85%).

Is my application competitive? And how sympathetic will the admissions team be towards medical circumstances?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hi, we can help!

Don't worry about your GCSEs, they won't be a deciding factor and it can be quite encouraging when a candidate goes from foing less well at GCSE to a strong performance at AS or A level. You'e exceeded the typical offer and you should consider applying if you like the look of our course. For your medical circumstances, remember to have a relevant professional complete and Extenuating Circumstances Form on your behalf. Also remeber to declare any disabilities at UCAS if applicable - this means we will ask you if there are adjustments needed for the interview process.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I'm thinking of applying to Peterhouse for Law! Anyone else applying for 2017 entry?
Just a forum for people to join if you're applying to Peterhouse Cambridge. I've applied for Medicine at Peterhouse, how about you guys?
Reply 3403
I've applied for engineering, you finished your SAQ yet?
Original post by spico
I've applied for engineering, you finished your SAQ yet?

Awesome! No I need an ID picture that is actually representative, BMAT number (admissions test) and class sizes and then yeah I'm done. How about you?
Reply 3405
I need to get a picture done and speak to my teachers about what to put in the 'topics' sections, and need to finish of my 1200 characters
Original post by spico
I need to get a picture done and speak to my teachers about what to put in the 'topics' sections, and need to finish of my 1200 characters

Yeah I just put in like every module of the units of each subject. I also need to double check my 1200 characters. What AS's/A levels have/are you done/doing?
Reply 3407
Maths, further maths and physics with A's in Maths,FM,Phys, and Chem AS
Reply 3408
So I'm not sure whether to list all 22 chapters from physics or generalise them, or whether I just list the maths modules as topics or talk about what all of them include.
Reply 3409
What evidence did/will you send (with the fee status assessment questionnaire) to prove where you've lived for the past 3 years?
Economics :smile:
Hello, I'm applying for History! (History, Eng Lit, Maths, French, General Studies [my school makes it compulsory])
Reply 3412
Applied for philosophy. Best of luck everyone!
Applying for Law :smile:
Reply 3414
@Peterhouse Admissions
Would it be ok for me to inquire on a general note as to what you look for in the additional statement in the SAQ that wouldn't be in the general UCAS personal statement? I keep changing my mind as to whether I should prioritise speaking about the course or myself. Thanks in advance for any reply at all.
Original post by spico
@Peterhouse Admissions
Would it be ok for me to inquire on a general note as to what you look for in the additional statement in the SAQ that wouldn't be in the general UCAS personal statement? I keep changing my mind as to whether I should prioritise speaking about the course or myself. Thanks in advance for any reply at all.

Nothing in particular. If there's nothing obvious you want to include it's fine to leave it blank - most candidates do. We'd rather it was blank than you just filled it for the sake of it.
I'm applying for philosophy :smile:
Peterhouse history applicant👋🏼👋🏼
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Just a forum for people to join if you're applying to Peterhouse Cambridge. I've applied for Medicine at Peterhouse, how about you guys?

Same!! How're you feeling about the BMAT?
Original post by missxyn
Same!! How're you feeling about the BMAT?

Awesome! Yeah it's actually not too bad I applied to Imperial too and I consitently meet their cutoff. But looking online, people who meet Cambridge offers are getting like 6 6 4A which are pretty sick scores. I'm getting like 5.4 6 4A usually. So not too bad but by no means amazing. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending