The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123ash
Firstly sorry for the UK Admissions, and nit Uni Admissions. I'm going to blame the stress of UKCAT!. *There is no spaces left up to my test day on the intensive courses which i think I would have benefitted from. Regards the online course, I feel as though learning online will be the same as I am now. However, I am thinking of ordering the book.*

Thanks

Hi 123ash

No worries at all.

That is a shame that there are no spaces left.

Yes, of course, learning online is not for everyone, although if you do the online course you get the Ultimate UKCAT Guide book as part of it as well as the on demand lectures for learning time saving strategies, so maybe something to consider. If not though, I am sure the book with help you.

Let me know if I can help at all.

UniAdmissions
Original post by 123ash
Thank you for that information. Thats really helpful. I guess if you get your GAMSAT and UKCAT results before you apply and miss the cut off, then you could apply to BMAT universities and hope for the best.

So thank you for that information. I wasn't aware of that.*

If you sit the GAMSAT in September you don't get results until well after the deadline, I think it's usually early November. The score is valid for two years so you can always take it the year before applying or in March (or both of you aren't getting the scores you need first time around).
Reply 882
Original post by Quilverine
If you sit the GAMSAT in September you don't get results until well after the deadline, I think it's usually early November. The score is valid for two years so you can always take it the year before applying or in March (or both of you aren't getting the scores you need first time around).

Hi Quilverine,

GAMSAT would be too difficult for me to take. However, if I'm not successful this year then I may look into it for next year. As well as continuing my practice for UKCAT.

Having said that the Uni's I want to apply to all want UKCAT. I just don't want UKCAT the reason why I am unsuccessful this year. Back to UKCAT practice!
Hi, for the work experience requirement for Warwick, do they send out a form and ask for the details of your referees for each experience or do they ask for an actual written reference, not just the details of a person?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
That's only a 1 month wait. I've been waiting a lot longer.

I was meant to start 2 weeks ago.

Ah that sucks. I've emailed them to ask whether working in an opticians would count but I don't really want to include that since my manager hated me and the entire store was inept and incompetent. I'll be dead by the time someone provides the reference.

Huh that's weird. Did you apply through the NHS site?

That's the great thing about childhood. All you cared about was something insignificant but it meant to much to you.

Sorry, that was meant to say December, not September. August 27th I was offered the job and the started induction on December 7th. First shift was December 29th.
Original post by nisha devi
Guysss ?
Should i take any ukcat courses ? !are they useful? Kaplan or medicportal? Like do they give tips and ideas?

Hi nisha devi

Hoping I can offer some advice with this.

It is of course totally possible to get into medical school without doing a UKCAT course through good old hard work but in doing a course, you really are giving yourself the best chance you can to succeed.

A course will each you time-saving techniques and strategies that you won't learn if you just study by yourself.

When choosing a course it is really worth looking at what resources you get as part of it as this varies largely. With our course for example you will also get our Ultimate UKCAT Guide book, published in April this year for 2017 entry as well as practice papers and support from our expert tutors.

If you are still uncertain about whether it is a good idea to take a UCKAT course, you might want to have a read of this blog as it is about that exact subject.

Give me shout if you have any questions... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions
Original post by Medici103
Sorry, that was meant to say December, not September. August 27th I was offered the job and the started induction on December 7th. First shift was December 29th.

Ah okay that makes sense.

I think I'm going to have my start date put down as September 15. Might use my old job as an optical assistant for the reference since I have about 600 hours from that and around 35 hours from volunteering.

Does anyone know who has to provide the reference for Warwick? Cos I really don't want to use my old manager since he's unreliable and my old workplace is notorious for incompetence. They make the NHS look organised. And most email addresses for the managers are internal so they can't be used to send emails to external/unapproved addresses so Warwick would have to call my manager on his personal mobile.
Original post by WannabeDrA
Hi, for the work experience requirement for Warwick, do they send out a form and ask for the details of your referees for each experience or do they ask for an actual written reference, not just the details of a person?

It sounded to me as though they require a contact from each experience who can back up your claims regarding hours/days that you had done.
Original post by Marathi
It sounded to me as though they require a contact from each experience who can back up your claims regarding hours/days that you had done.

Do they have to be able to provide actual evidence of the hours worked?
Original post by 123ash
I have been preparing for over a week, I just cant seem to get my head around UKCAT!!! Going to miserably fail*:afraid::afraid:

Don't panic! I started revising about 2 months before the exam date, initially just using the practice questions on UKCAT website and I was AWFUL. But in the case of the UKCAT, practice is absolute key - I took my test yesterday!I didn't book any of the courses, but I did use Medify, which I would definitely recommend - I think it cost about £30 for the month.But keep practicing, you'll be so surprised at how much you improve over a short space of time :smile:
quick question

on the Leeds website for the 5 year course it says this:

Plus for Graduate/Mature Applicants: Degrees 2i pass or higher in a science or medically related subject. If Chemistry is not offered at grade B or above at A2, there must be equivalent Chemistry (including physical, inorganic and organic chemistry) in the degree. See our policy document “Acceptable Qualifications” for further details. then it says A partly completed degree course is NOT acceptable in lieu of any of the above.

when I apply I wouldn't have completed my degree yet so does that mean they will only look at my A levels and would consider my degree to be partly completed? even if I m predicted to get a 2:1 or higher judging from my second year results.
Original post by Kasx8
Hey, I've just got accepted into warwick...As far as I'm aware, they didnt get back into contact with my supervisor after I gave them the letter but you never know i guess, good luck!!!

Some people were told by their referees that Warwick had been in touch but none of mine were. If it helps they all confirmed my hours and the dates in the first sentence, put a brief description of what I did and some wrote a personal opinion of my suitability for medicine. All were signed and printed on headed paper with very clear instructions for how to contact them for further info.

I knew Warwick would want references so I made sure to get them promptly after the placements where possible. I also had given old employers/uni supervisors a heads up that I might need a reference when I first applied.

To anyone applying this year: don't jeopardise your place by leaving it too close to the deadline. Start getting letters now if you are getting experiences. They don't have to be specific to Warwick either. Just "Dear Sir/Madam, Re:confirmation of work experience".
Reply 892
Original post by Meggie94P
Don't panic! I started revising about 2 months before the exam date, initially just using the practice questions on UKCAT website and I was AWFUL. But in the case of the UKCAT, practice is absolute key - I took my test yesterday!I didn't book any of the courses, but I did use Medify, which I would definitely recommend - I think it cost about £30 for the month.But keep practicing, you'll be so surprised at how much you improve over a short space of time :smile:

Thanks Meggie94P. I am going to use Medify for the last 3 weeks. How many hours did you study? Did you just repeat the Qs in the book? I cant answer one Qs in the given time of 30 seconds.

Congrats on completing UKCAT test. You happy with our score? Which Uni's are you applying to. Thanks for the support, I need people to tell me not to panic! *
Reply 893
Original post by Kasx8
Hey, I've just got accepted into warwick and am starting this year and also from an optical background :biggrin:, in terms of what proof they required, essentially they wanted information shown in this link
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/pgadmissions/applicants/mbchbselection/info/website_reference_template_for_applicants_2016.pdf

Its really just factual information and what you can do is write it all out and just ask him to sign it, which is what i did. I was an pre-reg optom, so i got my supervisor to sign it rather than management. As far as I'm aware, they didnt get back into contact with my supervisor after I gave them the letter but you never know i guess, good luck!!!

Many Congratulations for being selected!!*
Original post by 123ash
Thanks Meggie94P. I am going to use Medify for the last 3 weeks. How many hours did you study? Did you just repeat the Qs in the book? I cant answer one Qs in the given time of 30 seconds.

Congrats on completing UKCAT test. You happy with our score? Which Uni's are you applying to. Thanks for the support, I need people to tell me not to panic! *

I only did an hour a day for the first month, and then slowly increased to 3 hours/day for the last few weeks, which seemed to work..
I stuck to practicing questions from the book/medify to begin with, then would do a timed mock every few days in the last 2 weeks with practice qu's on the other days.

thanks! Yeah, I got 720 average which was a lot better than I was expecting haha. I'm thinking Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton and St. Marys atm, but not set in stone!
Reply 895
Original post by nisha devi
Guysss ?
Should i take any ukcat courses ? !are they useful? Kaplan or medicportal? Like do they give tips and ideas?

Hi. I've taken both courses his year. Kaplan and Medic Portal. Whilst I found that both days offered me a chance to revise and practice what I had already learnt from the books, I didn't find they offered anything that I didn't already know! They just recite from their books and it's just a chance to practice. So not worth the money but the two full days/full day practising with guidance is helpful but not worth the extortionate money they charge. The medic portal one jut gives you the book that you can buy in shops and the Kaplan one does give you a huge book of questions but you work through them in class. I've found Medify online to be the most helpful and closest to the actual UKCAT questions. Hope his helps. PM me if you want to know any more about he courses.
Just popping back again to say hello to everyone!

Time is ticking on....getting very close to GAMSAT and I have ukcat the week before too!

Nail biting times...

Good luck everyone xx*
Original post by Kasx8
Hey, I've just got accepted into warwick and am starting this year and also from an optical background :biggrin:, in terms of what proof they required, essentially they wanted information shown in this link
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/pgadmissions/applicants/mbchbselection/info/website_reference_template_for_applicants_2016.pdf

Its really just factual information and what you can do is write it all out and just ask him to sign it, which is what i did. I was an pre-reg optom, so i got my supervisor to sign it rather than management. As far as I'm aware, they didnt get back into contact with my supervisor after I gave them the letter but you never know i guess, good luck!!!

I'm about to go into my final year and applying this October for 2017 entry, you know how you have to apply through UCAS, who wrote your reference? Like a personal tutor? Worried that mine doesn't know me that well :eek:
Reply 898
Hi guys
Those who have taken their UKCAT how did you find the AR compared to medify and the revision guides like the ISC 1000

Im finding the patterns so hard on medify

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CharlieJay1903
Just popping back again to say hello to everyone!

Time is ticking on....getting very close to GAMSAT and I have ukcat the week before too!

Nail biting times...

Good luck everyone xx*

Close to GAMSAT? Isn't it on the 14th Sep?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending