The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Results Day March 8th Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Well basically I am confident that I have failed. Lol. Seriously though I found the past papers much easier that the Jan 2012 exams. I didn't even have time to finish my maths paper :frown: . Basically my plans of becoming a doctor just went out the window. Adios medical school at Kings collage.
I hope the best for the rest of you, Good luck.
Original post by Hello :P
Well basically I am confident that I have failed. Lol. Seriously though I found the past papers much easier that the Jan 2012 exams. I didn't even have time to finish my maths paper :frown: . Basically my plans of becoming a doctor just went out the window. Adios medical school at Kings collage.

Why are you giving up so soon?
If these are your first exams then just retake; from what i've heard universities don't know about retakes of the january exams.

If you're in A2, ignore the above.. but still! Don't give up hope.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
OCR B? Quality of Measurement or the Presentation? I did my QoM on lens powers and my presentation was on the use of steel in rifle barrels (full marks :biggrin:). Most helpful thing for physics is past papers. Even the old spec questions. They used to have a Section C with longer answers which I found helped me to understand some of the concepts. Mark schemes are your friend :tongue:

I tend to work out what marks I've definitely dropped, and the worst-case scenario, and then panic if the worst-case is lower than the boundaries. Not good at all :tongue:

I didn't retake anything in June, so I'm not really sure. Sorry :frown:

Ah no, it was fine, I did C2 last June. Didn't really screw me over, but I was aiming for full marks and dropped a couple because of the mistake.

I'm thinking the same about some of my other exams :tongue: Good luck :hugs:

Ah okay, I'm doing my QOM on a sensor potential divider circuit using a rotary potentiometer, it is going very well so I am hoping for near full marks on that one. Did you get full marks in them both? Nice one :smile:

Unfortunately our teacher didn't give us the mark scheme for the presentation so I scored 8/10 so hope to chew my way a bit more into the A with the QOM.

No problem - best of luck with your January results!
does anyone know when grade boundaries are usually available?
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
does anyone know when grade boundaries are usually available?

day before results day
Original post by Alex Bampton
Ah okay, I'm doing my QOM on a sensor potential divider circuit using a rotary potentiometer, it is going very well so I am hoping for near full marks on that one. Did you get full marks in them both? Nice one :smile:Unfortunately our teacher didn't give us the mark scheme for the presentation so I scored 8/10 so hope to chew my way a bit more into the A with the QOM.No problem - best of luck with your January results!

Ooh, I'm crap at the electronics side of physics :tongue: Yeah, both. I hate coursework though, I stress out massively. At A2, there's another coursework similar to the QoM, where you do a practical investigation. I found the charge to mass ratio of an electron, but I could only do it whilst supervised because my electron deflection tube was 5kV. My physics teacher helped me to doctor my results so they were closer to the true value - I can remember him saying 'put loads of ones in, they like ones' :')

Also, there's a research coursework where you pick a topic and do some research in to it. Please, pick a fairly simple one. I'm doing mine at the moment, and it's nasty. Neutrino story :colone:

My coursework got marked up during moderation, so yours might do too. Teachers try to mark fairly harshly so they don't penalise for overmarking - every mark they give needs sound justification. Thanks! - and good luck with the courseworks and your results too :biggrin:
Reply 666
does anyone know if the grade boundaries for AQA psychology A PSYA2 Unit 2 and Psya3 going to be lower than summer exams? my tecaher told me for PSYA3 it defo is i hope so :smile:
Original post by -Illmatic-
day before results day

ahhhhh thanks +rep:smile:
Reply 668
Original post by ikz94
does anyone know if the grade boundaries for AQA psychology A PSYA2 Unit 2 and Psya3 going to be lower than summer exams? my tecaher told me for PSYA3 it defo is i hope so :smile:

Yeah my teacher marks PSYA3 papers and said they will be lower.
Why did your teacher say it'll be lower though? haha
Reply 669
Original post by EffKayy
Yeah my teacher marks PSYA3 papers and said they will be lower.
Why did your teacher say it'll be lower though? haha

She said literally most of the marks were lost due to lack of info for A02 in the group display qs. Also some students (NOTME ;P) wrote restorative explaanaton instead of ecological explaaintion for the evolutionary qs on sleep lol so thats like good 30 marks lost out on i hope thre low cos i no i neevr messed up my qs only the 4 marker on reserach on institutional agression i wrote a rsereach on hazing??? would i at least get 1 mark out of 4 lol! other than that i neevr scrwed the paper up ! :smile:

what did yours say lol! i clcoked on my teacher knew the qs one's a senior examiner and senior examiners for fact no the qs cos last eyar i ahd a senior techer for as and hetold us make sure you revsie indeendent behviour for psya2 and yep it came up so i knew what she said were going to come so i revised them in like literally my lesson before the exam! plus i tookm agamble on relationships but was chuffed when breakdown came up i just hope i gto enough content in . btw i wrote like more rearsch than needed lol for the essasy is thata bad thing???
Original post by Hello :P

You should not count your self out so soon, only 2 medical school care if you resit modules that being Cambridge and UCL. However UCL don't mind AS resits but as far as i remember they said keep it to the minimum but no A2 resits and some other medical schools say no A2 resits as well. For the majority though, they don't really care even oxford don't really care, as long as you achieve AAA within 2 years. So no resitting after year 13. If you like Kings, then the best advice i could give is that they like good GCSEs/UKCAT score. There is plenty people (im not lying) who have applied with BBB at AS but had great GCSEs/UKCAT scores and got an offer, as long as they achieved AAA in the end.

Good luck :biggrin:
not long now!! :frown: dont really care about my english grade... i know i messed that one up and the teachers even said "look dw bout it just have a resit" (they have so much faith lol)

but its the psychology... spent a long time revising for psychology...

hope the paper says an A. fine if its a high B, but it means i have to work even harder for the june (dont mind, but id rather be able to relax abit)
Reply 672
Original post by Davidbazzy
Yeah me too, As I came out of the exam, I thought.... yeah im sure I've achieved two A's and a B :cool:

Now as time has gone by, i'm also getting nervous as I may have been a little bit over-confident ... prepare yourself for the worst so If you do get the grades you wanted you'll be over the moon :biggrin:

Original post by Besakt
This happen to me last year, so I mind ****ed myself so I made myself think I've done terribly so whatever grade I get it will be better than expected. :redface:

Yeah, I mean I'm quietly confident but at the same time thinking that I did badly and hopefully I'll be proven wrong with the latter!
The worst bit is that when it comes to results days, I don't only WANT A's but NEED A's, so if I get a B I'm like "damn!" and my friends are like "that's a really good grade why are you disappointed, I'm happy with mine!", and I'm just like, argh not good enough! :lol:
Original post by -Illmatic-
day before results day

Thanks for this, I had no idea they came out before the results, I'm going to mark this in my calendar so that I can guess what by results will be and be better prepared. :smile:
Original post by raveen789
You should not count your self out so soon, only 2 medical school care if you resit modules that being Cambridge and UCL. However UCL don't mind AS resits but as far as i remember they said keep it to the minimum but no A2 resits and some other medical schools say no A2 resits as well. For the majority though, they don't really care even oxford don't really care, as long as you achieve AAA within 2 years. So no resitting after year 13. If you like Kings, then the best advice i could give is that they like good GCSEs/UKCAT score. There is plenty people (im not lying) who have applied with BBB at AS but had great GCSEs/UKCAT scores and got an offer, as long as they achieved AAA in the end.

Good luck :biggrin:

I sure hope so about Oxford, I feel a Chem resit coming :tongue:
Reply 675
Original post by ikz94
She said literally most of the marks were lost due to lack of info for A02 in the group display qs. Also some students (NOTME ;P) wrote restorative explaanaton instead of ecological explaaintion for the evolutionary qs on sleep lol so thats like good 30 marks lost out on i hope thre low cos i no i neevr messed up my qs only the 4 marker on reserach on institutional agression i wrote a rsereach on hazing??? would i at least get 1 mark out of 4 lol! other than that i neevr scrwed the paper up ! :smile:

what did yours say lol! i clcoked on my teacher knew the qs one's a senior examiner and senior examiners for fact no the qs cos last eyar i ahd a senior techer for as and hetold us make sure you revsie indeendent behviour for psya2 and yep it came up so i knew what she said were going to come so i revised them in like literally my lesson before the exam! plus i tookm agamble on relationships but was chuffed when breakdown came up i just hope i gto enough content in . btw i wrote like more rearsch than needed lol for the essasy is thata bad thing???

Research does not neccessarily mean studies. It means studies and/or theories. I wrote about both. However this was why the gender question was messed up as for part a it said outline research into social influence for 8 marks and then the second part was assess the influence for 16marks. However as many candidates used research evidence as their ao2 and included studies for the 8 marks, their ao2 was weak. I included theories which was just as correct.

Yeah the group displays one was very poor, as my teacher said people wrote about infidelity and jealousy and stuff like deindividuation. And even those that included topics like sport, lynch mobs, etc, didnt explicitly link it back to evolution (so women, resources, genes etc).

Does your teacher mark the papers? And what do you mean research on hazing - studies or the theory of hazing?

Was hoping for 100ums but think i'll get around a B now lol .
Reply 676
Original post by confused dot com
I sure hope so about Oxford, I feel a Chem resit coming :tongue:

Did you do CHEM4 with edexcel?
I hope the grade boundaries arent that high as i made loads of mistakes haha
Reply 677
Original post by megfashion
not long now!! :frown: dont really care about my english grade... i know i messed that one up and the teachers even said "look dw bout it just have a resit" (they have so much faith lol)

but its the psychology... spent a long time revising for psychology...

hope the paper says an A. fine if its a high B, but it means i have to work even harder for the june (dont mind, but id rather be able to relax abit)

omg same boat as you for psychology i soent a month or so cos i only had 2 psychology exam would mind a B but A would be so nice to equal with the amount of time i spent for it :smile: awwwh so anxious wna know! hope we bothj get our grades! :biggrin:
Original post by EffKayy
Did you do CHEM4 with edexcel?
I hope the grade boundaries arent that high as i made loads of mistakes haha

Yep, that paper was...different. I'm with you on the grade boundaries though, even a scraped A is an A :tongue:
Reply 679
Original post by EffKayy
Research does not neccessarily mean studies. It means studies and/or theories. I wrote about both. However this was why the gender question was messed up as for part a it said outline research into social influence for 8 marks and then the second part was assess the influence for 16marks. However as many candidates used research evidence as their ao2 and included studies for the 8 marks, their ao2 was weak. I included theories which was just as correct.

Yeah the group displays one was very poor, as my teacher said people wrote about infidelity and jealousy and stuff like deindividuation. And even those that included topics like sport, lynch mobs, etc, didnt explicitly link it back to evolution (so women, resources, genes etc).

Does your teacher mark the papers? And what do you mean research on hazing - studies or the theory of hazing?

Was hoping for 100ums but think i'll get around a B now lol .

yeh i used studis andtheory i just see as a02 lol! yeh i rote a study on hazing about andrek sychev case study that w=qs was so vague man for a 4 marker! would i get atleast half the marks ???? u see the 4 marker for explaantion of narcolepsy it ddidnt necessarily tell ut o say what it is u ahd to write symptoms and what it can elad to write .

Quick Reply

Latest