The Student Room Group

Would you rather be supersized or superskinny?

This poll is closed

Would you rather be supersize or superskinny

Supersize 6%
superskinny94%
Total votes: 262
:confused:So I'm sure most of you have heard of the well known TV show "Supersize vs Superskinny" well it got me thinking!
Would you rather be supersized or superskinny is one unhealthier than the other?
I personally would be superskinny .

Also why is it that being superskinny is more accepted in the society than being supersized neither are healthy or good but is it due to people in the public eye?
As well as this please can you state the advantages of being either . I'm quite curious to find out what they are.
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Neither are good (of course), but it's known that being super-skinny is more readily accepted in society. For instance, you'll never see a superskinny child being singled out due to their size...my 6 year-old brother is a tad chubby and unfortunately he gets picked on because of it. Kids can be cruel :frown:

As for my personal opinion, I myself am fairly skinny (BMI: 17.5) but don't have any health problems related to my weight so I'm okay. But being super-skinny can be bad for women, it can mess with that time of the month, can make it harder to concieve etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd rather be superskinny...there's not so much negativity towards people who are too thin as much as people who are overweight. Surely being too fat is worse for your health or are we led to believe that because of the hype and media attention towards obesity? I dunno. Oh and also then I could eat and eat and eat!!
Reply 3
super skinny... I could eat my way upto my normal weight... be a fantastic weekend!
Superskinny. It'd be much, much easier to just eat your way back to a normal weight. And more enjoyable.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm slightly overweight already and it's tough work trying to shift the weight. If I was supersized it would be even harder. I love food so being superskinny would be great for me, I could eat whatever I want and enjoy it although I probably wouldn't be superskinny for long.
Superskinny. I used to be; I used to weigh 5st 4 at 5'5 (BMI 12.2), yes, I have an eating disorder :redface:. I'm weight-restored now to 8st 1 (BMI 18.9) so I'm still hardly large :rolleyes: but I've found being this 'heavy' hard to tolerate. I really don't think I'd cope being genuinely overweight let alone obese :redface:.

+s and -s of each -
Superskinnies aren't looked down on in the same way as supersizers - supersizers are perceived as lazy, slobbish, no self-discipline etc. etc. When I was at my lightest, I got stares and shocked people etc. but although I got -ve attention ('just eat a ****ing sandwich' - oh, how original!) I had more people concerned for me and my health and how I was feeling, rather than ridicule.
Health-wise it depends on how extreme the weights are on both ends. Everyone knows the risks of being overweight - although, people with a BMI 25-28 are meant to live longer than those of 18.5-25! Being underweight has its own risks though (although I've been very lucky) - being grossly underweight means very likely to not have periods and therefore develop osteoporosis (having hip replacements in 20s is not cool...), causes muscle wastage including cardiac muscle (which is never replaced), causes organ failure, screws up cognitive functioning and causes poor perceptions and irrational thoughts... A low caloric intake means crap concentration, decreased cognitive functioning, poor circulation, always being cold, having no energy, low blood pressure, low heart rate (both of which combine to cause fainting, as does low blood sugar)... Both the low intake and the low weight increase other risk factors - for example, at lower weights my blood chemistry was always off, and my stomach is extremely badly damaged and has been unable to repair itself despite being 'healthy' for 5 months and a LOT of medication.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Superskinny.

Why do people see superskinny as more acceptable than being supersized?

I am a 22male, fairly built @ 12 stone. If I was 9 stone I'd be super skinny. That's a decrease in 25% of my body weight and just 3 stone difference.

If I was 30 stone I'd be supersized. That's an increase of 250% of my body weight and 18 stone difference. Comparing a difference of -25% to +250% of difference in body weight and 3Stone to 18Stone is incredible.

Thus the difference between 'normal' and superskinny far exceeds that of being normal and 'supersized'. That's why people see superskinny as more acceptable than being supersized.
Reply 8
Super-skinny, i would put the weight back on in no time - that's a promise =D
Original post by Jackal The
Superskinny. It'd be much, much easier to just eat your way back to a normal weight. And more enjoyable.

I disagree with that. Most common problem is that skinny can't gain weight or build muscle.

It depends how skinny and how fat. But, personally I would want to be supersized as being a skinny kid must suck. Like being a girl.
Superskinny. But still, the choice isn't as easy as it seems. It's easy for most people to say that they would be able to gain the weight if they were that weight, but most of the people who go on that programme have serious issues with food and it's not so easy for them to just eat more. They need to get over the mental issues which prevent from from reaching a healthy weight. To most people it would be fun to have to eat loads to gain a stone or so, but it is a major challenge to those people who have an eating disorder.
Original post by *custardcream
Superskinny. I used to be; I used to weigh 5st 4 at 5'5 (BMI 12.2), yes, I have an eating disorder :redface:. I'm weight-restored now to 8st 1 (BMI 18.9) so I'm still hardly large :rolleyes: but I've found being this 'heavy' hard to tolerate. I really don't think I'd cope being genuinely overweight let alone obese :redface:.

+s and -s of each -
Superskinnies aren't looked down on in the same way as supersizers - supersizers are perceived as lazy, slobbish, no self-discipline etc. etc. When I was at my lightest, I got stares and shocked people etc. but although I got -ve attention ('just eat a ****ing sandwich' - oh, how original!) I had more people concerned for me and my health and how I was feeling, rather than ridicule.
Health-wise it depends on how extreme the weights are on both ends. Everyone knows the risks of being overweight - although, people with a BMI 25-28 are meant to live longer than those of 18.5-25! Being underweight has its own risks though (although I've been very lucky) - being grossly underweight means very likely to not have periods and therefore develop osteoporosis (having hip replacements in 20s is not cool...), causes muscle wastage including cardiac muscle (which is never replaced), causes organ failure, screws up cognitive functioning and causes poor perceptions and irrational thoughts... A low caloric intake means crap concentration, decreased cognitive functioning, poor circulation, always being cold, having no energy, low blood pressure, low heart rate (both of which combine to cause fainting, as does low blood sugar)... Both the low intake and the low weight increase other risk factors - for example, at lower weights my blood chemistry was always off, and my stomach is extremely badly damaged and has been unable to repair itself despite being 'healthy' for 5 months and a LOT of medication.

same, i had to put on 2 stone, iv got about 3 pounds to go, at first i absolutely hated it, but now i love it! get to eat whatever i want. and i love the extra weight i look so much better :biggrin: and don't get funny looks and people asking my friends if i'm okay anymore :smile:
Superskinny, because I would still be able to move around easily. It's also easier to put on 2 stone rather than lose >10 if the reason you're skinny isn't to do with a serious eating disorder.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by thelovecats
same, i had to put on 2 stone, iv got about 3 pounds to go, at first i absolutely hated it, but now i love it! get to eat whatever i want. and i love the extra weight i look so much better :biggrin: and don't get funny looks and people asking my friends if i'm okay anymore :smile:

that's really good to hear :smile: - well done, it's not easy!
Reply 14
I don't think it's more accepted to be super skinny I just think less people notice it. When a super skinny person is wearing layers of clothes they can almost blend in with 'normal' weight people and therefore wont experience the stares, comments and ridicule that supersized people get.
Superskinny. I was once a size zero (I was anorexic) but I'd rather be all bones than have rolls of fat. At least I was still mobile and could do things for myself.
Original post by *custardcream
that's really good to hear :smile: - well done, it's not easy!

thankyou! :smile:
Original post by jazzykinks
Superskinny. I was once a size zero (I was anorexic) but I'd rather be all bones than have rolls of fat. At least I was still mobile and could do things for myself.

i got to the stage where i couldnt get out of bed because i got dizzy and nearly passed out every time i stood up - thats the worst!
Reply 18
superskinny
Superskinny.

Perhaps my experiences with an eating disorder makes my view biased, but I could not tolerate being grossly overweight.

Quick Reply

Latest