The Student Room Group

Contraception for 13yr Old. Right or Wrong?

Hii :smile:

I was surprised about this topic when I came across it in the Pharmacy section, and it got me thinking what I do in this situation as a pharmacist or doctor. I haven't applied to Pharmacy (Applied for Optometry) so wouldn't know what would be considered right or wrong.

So I just want your views on the question.

Contraception for a 13yr old. Right or Wrong

Should it be available for such young people?

Why an earth are they even sexually active at that age?

Please state your reasons to go with your answer.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Contraception for a 13yr old is preferable to a pregnant 13yr old tbh.
Well, it's probably too young for them to be having sex - and it's certainly not legal, but if they're going to do it regardless, surely it's better that it's safe sex?
Reply 3
Original post by JustMee :)
Hii :smile:

I was surprised about this topic when I came across it in the Pharmacy section, and it got me thinking what I do in this situation. I haven't applied to Pharmacy (Applied for Optometry) so wouldn't know what would be considered right or wrong.

So I just want your views on the question.

Contraception for a 13yr old. Right or Wrong

Should it be available for such young people?

Why an earth are they even sexually active at that age?

Please state your reasons to go with your answer.

Errmm. I was sexually active at 13. Very active. And had I not had condoms available from my local "Sex Clinic" for free, I would probably give them a miss on a lot of occasions.
I don't think thirteen year olds should be having sex but if they're going to we should at least make sure they use condoms :smile:
It could be for heavy/painful periods, not because they're sexually active.
It's the business of the 13 year olds and the parents to decide whether they are mature enough to have sex, mostly.

Might as well provide them with the necessary protection; they might learn something from it.
Health professionals obviously have a duty to promote health and safe activity. To leave a sexually active 13 year old who has actively sought protection without any form of contraception because they don't think it's 'right' isn't a good enough reason.

As long as the patient is counselled on the use of the pill, AND has the capacity to understand that it will not protect them from sexually transmitted infections... and of course are made explicitly aware that what they are doing is illegal... there's not much else that can be done to protect them.
Reply 8
Original post by select the right name
It could be for heavy/painful periods, not because they're sexually active.

Yeah I've heard of that recently. It is a possibility.
But I mean the question in regards to them being active.
Do I think 13 is too young to have sex? Yes obviously however I am not so naive to think that no 13 year olds are having/ have had sex. An earlier poster stated that contraception was preferable to pregnant 13 y/o and I agree
Reply 10
Original post by TheCrackInTime
Contraception for a 13yr old is preferable to a pregnant 13yr old tbh.

Yes, I completely agree with you, but doesn't it show them that what they're doing is alright because they are "protected"
Reply 11
Original post by TheCaledonian
Do I think 13 is too young to have sex? Yes obviously however I am not so naive to think that no 13 year olds are having/ have had sex. An earlier poster stated that contraception was preferable to pregnant 13 y/o and I agree

I agree also. :smile:
But I'm not so naive either. I obviously know that it is happening. I asked "Why" not "How".
Yes, I completely agree with you, but doesn't it show them that what they're doing is alright because they are "protected"

If both are consenting it is alright.
Reply 13
Although 13 seems far too young to be having sex (although I realise some others will disagree) it's better to be taught to use contraception at a young age just in case that 13 year old does have sex. It would be harder to convince a 13-year old to not have sex, than it would be to convince them to just be safe when they do.
Reply 14
Umm, perhaps if parents did a decent job at teaching their kids basic values and morals (and the law didn't make it harder to enforce discipline at home, I mean come on now, common sense tells us what is acceptable discipline), we wouldn't have to make annoying decisions like this. I mean, I just cannot imagine giving my 13-year old son a condom, but like someone has said, I certainly wouldn't want him to get anybody pregnant at that age.
Reply 15
Original post by Silkielemon
If both are consenting it is alright.

if you're talking about 2 consenting 13 year olds, that is your opinion :lolwut:
13 year olds having sex? Absolutely wrong. The sex and relationships education in school should teach them that ideally.

13 year old slags/poorly educated niave girls getting pregnant? Even more wrong, so if they're going to do it, they may as well be safe.
I think it's a good thing. Slags gonna slag with or without contraception so it's better than having a load of child parents.
Ideally it's wrong ... but not giving them contraception isn't going to stop them having sex if they want to, it's just going to stop them from having sex safely. 13 year old using contraception is better than a pregnant 13 year old/13 year old father.

[QUOTE=JustMee [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];36146433]I agree also. :smile:
But I'm not so naive either. I obviously know that it is happening. I asked "Why" not "How".

Why are the having sex at that age?
I don't know pressure of society; its general acceptance; something to brag about? I guess we'll never know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending