The Student Room Group

Chemistry OCR AS F321 Atoms, Bonds and Groups May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by scorpio22
[QUOTE=otrivine

I'm so jealous,my highlight of holiday was only getting taken shopping to meadow hall shopping centre since i have been ''revising and good'' lol.:angelwings:

Q: methylpropan1-ol and butan-1-ol are structual isomers, explain why methylpropan-1-ol has a lower boiling point (2mrks)

no u did right thing actually getting a good grade is better than going on holiday to be honest. Because methylpropan-1-ol has less contact surface point and there fore less van der waals forces
Reply 81
Original post by Alex Bampton
ICL has dipole-dipole forces though which have a higher relative strength than van der vaals forces, so that'd be the main reason wouldn't it?

yes but if u think about it van der waals forces are present everywhere and ICL has stronger forces than Cl2 cause cl2 is a simple molecular structure?
[QUOTE="otrivine;37146250"]

Because methylpropan-1-ol has less contact surface point and there fore less van der waals forces

correct.

next question...

Under certain conditions propene can react to form alcohols,name reagents,conditions required & write a balanced equation and explain why it's possible to create 2 different products. (5marks)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
[QUOTE="scorpio22;37148538"]
Original post by otrivine

correct.

next question...

Under certain conditions propene can react to form alcohols,name reagents,conditions required & write a balanced equation and explain why it's possible to create 2 different products. (5marks)

CH3CHCH2 + c2h5oH TO GIVE CH3CH2C=O-O-CH2-CH3 + H2O I can't balance from computer but is my equation right?
Conditions conc.h2so4 and heat under reflux . It is possible to create two products as it is symmetrical.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
[QUOTE="scorpio22;37148538"]

correct.

next question...

So what do I get out of 5?

CH3CHCH2 + c2h5oH TO GIVE CH3CH2C=O-O-CH2-CH3 + H2O I can't balance from computer but is my equation right?
Conditions conc.h2so4 and heat under reflux . It is possible to create two products as it is symmetrical.

hey,
you got 2/5- I think I did not phrase the question right for you,sorry

your equation is correct and balanced but you reacted propene with ethanol= ethyl propanoate

You went wrong when reacting propene with an alcohol=ester ,instead of making propene into the 2 alcohols.

mark scheme
(Propene reacts with h20 to create alcohol)
CH2CHCH3+H20--->C3H7O7 = 1MARK

(naming possible 2 alcohols)
CH3CHOCH3 OR CH3CH2CH2OH=2 MARKS

and you got the 2 marks on the conditions=h2so4 + heat reflux =2marks
Reply 86
hey,
you got 2/5- I think I did not phrase the question right for you,sorry

your equation is correct and balanced but you reacted propene with ethanol= ethyl propanoate

You went wrong when reacting propene with an alcohol=ester ,instead of making propene into the 2 alcohols.

mark scheme
(Propene reacts with h20 to create alcohol)
CH2CHCH3+H20--->C3H7O7 = 1MARK

(naming possible 2 alcohols)
CH3CHOCH3 OR CH3CH2CH2OH=2 MARKS

and you got the 2 marks on the conditions=h2so4 + heat reflux =2marks

oh snap so gutted :frown: more please lool
oh snap so gutted :frown: more please lool

It' kind of a good thing when mistakes are made and then you will remember next time:redface:

Next question..It's pretty meaty lol and good practice as it's worth 10 MARKS(almost a grade boundary):eek:
9marks=answer
1mark=written communication

Describe the mechanism for the reaction between methane and bromine and explain why it is difficult to produce a single organic product.And include equations and conditions
Reply 88
It' kind of a good thing when mistakes are made and then you will remember next time:redface:

Next question..It's pretty meaty lol and good practice as it's worth 10 MARKS(almost a grade boundary):eek:
9marks=answer
1mark=written communication

Describe the mechanism for the reaction between methane and bromine and explain why it is difficult to produce a single organic product.And include equations and conditions

But how should I draw the mechanism?
But how should I draw the mechanism?

the mark scheme shows written equations, i have gave you a simple structure of answer

overall equation:

conditions:

The intitaion:

Propagation:

propagation:

termination

type of fisision:

problem with this mechanism:

written communication
Reply 90
the mark scheme shows written equations, i have gave you a simple structure of answer

overall equation:
CH4+BR2 gives CH3BR +HBR
conditions:
U.V light
The intitaion:
BR2 gives two BR radicals
Propagation:
CH4+BR. gives CH3. +HBR
propagation:
CH3.+BR2 GIVES CH3BR+BR
termination
BR-BR to gvies BR2
type of fisision:
homolyitc fission
symmetrical, keeps reacting sue to radicals reacting non stop. cata;yic converters.
written communication

verall equation:
CH4+BR2 gives CH3BR +HBR*
conditions:
U.V light*
The intitaion:
Propagation:
CH4+BR. gives CH3. +HBR
propagation:
CH3.+BR2 GIVES CH3BR+BR
termination
BR-BR to gvies BR2
type of fisision:
homolyitc fission
symmetrical, keeps reacting sue to radicals reacting non stop. cata;yic converters.*
written com
verall equation:
CH4+BR2 gives CH3BR +HBR*
conditions:
U.V light*
The intitaion:
Propagation:
CH4+BR. gives CH3. +HBR
propagation:
CH3.+BR2 GIVES CH3BR+BR
termination
BR-BR to gvies BR2
type of fisision:
homolyitc fission
symmetrical, keeps reacting sue to radicals reacting non stop. cata;yic converters.*
written com

PERFECT:thumbsup:
full marks
Reply 92
PERFECT:thumbsup:
full marks

thank you :wink: shall i ask you now??? on unit 1 or 2?
thank you :wink: shall i ask you now??? on unit 1 or 2?

unit 2
Reply 94
unit 2

ok so,

1) what is meant by sterioisomer (2)
2) why do E/Z have steriosomer(2)
3) state the reagents needed to convert an primary alcohol to aldehyde(2)
1)a compound with the same molecular formulae but a different structural formulae with a different arrangement of atoms.

2) The contain c=c bond which cannot rotate
And each C in the double bond must have 2 different functional groups attached to it.
-the contain cis isomers which have c=c with the 2 functional groups on the same side
trans isomers with the 2 substituent groups on different side

3)H+/cr2072- and h2so4
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
1)a compound with the same molecular formulae but a different structural formulae with a different arrangement of atoms.

2) The contain c=c bond which cannot rotate
And each C in the double bond must have 2 different functional groups attached to it.
-the contain cis isomers which have c=c with the 2 functional groups on the same side
trans isomers with the 2 substituent groups on different side

3)H+/cr2072- and h2so4

Excellent Answers :wink:
Excellent Answers :wink:

Yay.:h:I thought that i wasnt going to get most of them...

have you got one more question i could answer.??
i need to get to sleep i have a revision resit class at 8.00
Reply 98
Yay.:h:I thought that i wasnt going to get most of them...

have you got one more question i could answer.??
i need to get to sleep i have a revision resit class at 8.00

sure :wink:

1) How does a catalyst increase the rate of reaction (3)
2) Are alcohol soluble in water. Justify (2)
sure :wink:

1) How does a catalyst increase the rate of reaction (3)
2) Are alcohol soluble in water. Justify (2)

1-It increases the rate without being used up.It also lowers the activation energy therefore more molecules have energy equal or greater to activation energy. This lead to more frequent successful collisions.

2-Alcohol interacts with the hydrogen bonds in h20 molecules as the water break the hydrocarbon chain and forms a new compound as it acts as a solvent.
I don't actually think answer 2 is right lool.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending