The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone know what question 7 was as i didn't get the answer stated by Mr M, thanks
I think I've lost between 9 and 12 marks, therefore got between 83% and 88%, and I'm doing Further Maths. How worried should I be?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kenann
well, that's what exams do to us right?

i did both, but i'm almost certain either will suffice because it is easier to recognise sqrt20 < sqrt25 than 2sqrt5 < sqrt25 or 5, which is why i simplified the surds then in brackets explained the alternate, both in sqrt(k) form.

I said that that the root 20 was less than the diameter, but should still be ok as the diameter was 10 I think.
Reply 83
Original post by cleverslacker
I think I've lost between 9 and 12 marks, therefore got between 83% and 88%, and I'm doing Further Maths. How worried should I be?

Same here, possibly even more. I don't suppose you remember what question 7 was?? thanks
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
I said that that the root 20 was less than the diameter, but should still be ok as the diameter was 10 I think.

Yeah, that's true, but I think you needed to say it was less than the radius. If a line coming from the center of a circle is shorter than the diameter, the nedpoint can still be outside the circle.

For the sqrt20 thing, I didn't actually mention that sqrt20=2sqrt5. lost one mark, maybe?
Reply 85
Hi would I lose marks for not putting fractions in the simplest form? :smile:
Yeah, that's true, but I think you needed to say it was less than the radius. If a line coming from the center of a circle is shorter than the diameter, the nedpoint can still be outside the circle.

For the sqrt20 thing, I didn't actually mention that sqrt20=2sqrt5. lost one mark, maybe?

Hopefully they'll understand (I dunno) :/ I've already lost about 4 or 5 marks.. For the sqrt20, it didn't ask for a simplified answer so it should be okay I guess.
Reply 87
For question 2ii) would I get a mark for re-arranging to get rid of the surd off the bottom?
Original post by samhague
Same here, possibly even more. I don't suppose you remember what question 7 was?? thanks

The question was something like x+6(sqrt(x))-2=0 (don't know how to write that properly here)

You had to sub in y=sqrt(x), therefore:

(y^2)+6y-2=0

Then use the quadratic formula, which I forgot, so I lost probably 4 marks there.

I think that's right, anyway. perhaps Mr. M can confirm?
Overall, it was a standard paper so I'm hoping the grade boundaries are about average so 58ish for an A.
(edited 11 years ago)
Could you please do the Aqa core and core 2 for may 2012 and give me the paper and model answers?
Reply 91
The question was something like x+6(sqrt(x))-2=0 (don't know how to write that properly here)

You had to sub in y=sqrt(x), therefore:

(y^2)+6y-2=0

Then use the quadratic formula, which I forgot, so I lost probably 4 marks there.

I think that's right, anyway. perhaps Mr. M can confirm?

thanks very much
Reply 92
Thanks a lot sir :smile:

Darn you C1, pretty straight forward paper; but damn those silly mistakes! Hoping for an A.

Hope everyone else did well :biggrin:
Reply 93
just to confirm, there wasn't a question that required rationalising right? because i didn't rationalise at all in this paper.
Reply 94
no
thank you so much for these answers! Could you go through what we needed for each mark on the very last question please? I have screwed up here :/
Original post by kenann
just to confirm, there wasn't a question that required rationalising right? because i didn't rationalise at all in this paper.

Yeah I didn't either. Found it a bit odd considering there was a rationalising question in basically every past paper!
Reply 97
Original post by kenann

Nope :smile:
If only
Original post by benex381
no

Oh gawd
If I revise extra hard and get 100% in C2, what's the lowest I can have got in C1? Currently I'm looking at 83-88%
Reply 99
Oh gawd
If I revise extra hard and get 100% in C2, what's the lowest I can have got in C1? Currently I'm looking at 83-88%

I got 82% - 86%, do you think that's enough for an A???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending