The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sadiya18
Yeah but do you have two edexcel books? One big and small by christine brain? I dont know which one to make notes on cos the big book has loads of information and i will be here for ages.

Hey sorry urm yeah I only have the small one because my teacher told me to get that one only.

I just use that and stuff my teachers give us to revise.
Reply 41
Original post by Asian7
I am only doing unit 4 for this exam. But are we suppose to revise all units as well for Issues and debates??

Yeah pretty much! You're expected to have a common knowledge on everything you've learnt in the course, and you're expected to draw on your knowledge on some questions. They can also ask you questions on specific studies, last year I think Little Hans came up for instance!
Reply 42
Original post by oli_042
Yeah pretty much! You're expected to have a common knowledge on everything you've learnt in the course, and you're expected to draw on your knowledge on some questions. They can also ask you questions on specific studies, last year I think Little Hans came up for instance!

Yes. I realise that. I generally went thru each approach and evaluation pints plus theories, but it is impossible to study it the way we did for previous units? Or are you studying all units again
Reply 43
How would you approach this question :
Assess how ethnocentrism may influence the conclusions of psychological research ?
Reply 44
Original post by Sana210693
Assess how ethnocentrism may influence the conclusions of psychological research ?

Could you talk about Ainsworth's study and the cross-cultural variations of it? (Sagi, Miyake, Grossman et al) and how they all found different variations of behaviour in the infants, which was seen as normal? E.g. for Miyake et al none of the infants were ever really separated from their mothers, so the results to Japanese people would be seen normal, whereas to us in a more Western culture or a culture where freedom and independence is more freely given, this would be seen as abnormal, and thus makes it ethnocentric to the Japanese culture. Is that right :s-smilie:?
I am only starting revising today (and I have to do a 2 and a half hour mock for another subject). There is so much in Unit 4, I feel like I'm going to fail! Especially as I switched exam board this year, I haven't done the psychodynamic approach or learning approach as a whole topic, biological we did things about stressors, so again everything is completely different, half of social is different too. My teacher also hasn't set a single 18 mark essay/ essay on the issues and debates. I know I'm not going to learn everything in the detail needed by the exam, does anyone have any tips on the most important things to focus on?

Also does anyone have anything on anorexia nervosa, I'm also a bit confused - the booklet my teacher gave me just had about AN, but the revision thing someone posted here wasn't very clear if Anorexia nervosa and bulimia counted as one disorder to the exam board :s-smilie: as it said 'and'.

*Panic, panic, panic*
Reply 46
Original post by xfirekittyx
I am only starting revising today (and I have to do a 2 and a half hour mock for another subject). There is so much in Unit 4, I feel like I'm going to fail! Especially as I switched exam board this year, I haven't done the psychodynamic approach or learning approach as a whole topic, biological we did things about stressors, so again everything is completely different, half of social is different too. My teacher also hasn't set a single 18 mark essay/ essay on the issues and debates. I know I'm not going to learn everything in the detail needed by the exam, does anyone have any tips on the most important things to focus on?

Also does anyone have anything on anorexia nervosa, I'm also a bit confused - the booklet my teacher gave me just had about AN, but the revision thing someone posted here wasn't very clear if Anorexia nervosa and bulimia counted as one disorder to the exam board :s-smilie: as it said 'and'.

*Panic, panic, panic*

Im doing anorexia nervosa too ! i dont think bulimia is , however i did have to learn the Mumford and Whitehouse study which does look at bulima , but we learned anorexia nervosa in detail with 2 explanations and 2 treatments , not bulimia.
(edited 11 years ago)
Im doing anorexia nervosa too ! i dont think bulimia is , however i did have to learn the Mumford and Whitehouse study which does look at bulima , but we learned anorexia nervosa in detail with 2 explanations and 2 treatments , not bulimia.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I haven't learned a single study yet, not sure if I was supposed to cover that one!
What treatments have you done?
One of the treatments on my thing from my teacher is just like medical treatment which looks a bit ****e. Just saying stuff like they can be treated in a hospital as an inpatient or an outpatient.... Not sure if there's a better one? The other one I have is psychotherapy.

Is it a 12 or 18 marker? I don't know how to do 18 markers?! I would firstly define ethnocentrism include the things like alpha and beta bias, basically if it's a 12 marks worth of description, then include about 3 studies, I would use two that were on carried out in culture and explain how they were ethnocentric and then I would use Ainsworth's to point out how cross-cultural research can still be ethnocentric (those Japansese and German kids were still categorised as one of the insecure attachment types despite the...:wink:)
Reply 49
What is alpha and beta bias?
Reply 50
Original post by sadiya18
What is alpha and beta bias?

I was about to ask the same question!
B
u
m
p
!
Reply 52
Thanks for the reply :smile: I haven't learned a single study yet, not sure if I was supposed to cover that one!
What treatments have you done?
One of the treatments on my thing from my teacher is just like medical treatment which looks a bit ****e. Just saying stuff like they can be treated in a hospital as an inpatient or an outpatient.... Not sure if there's a better one? The other one I have is psychotherapy.

Woah , well if your unsure go to the specification it might tell you about how many studies you shoud know , i did 2 for schiz and 1 for anorexia .
As for the treatments , i did drug therapy and CBT i thought this was a better option than the other ones in the book .
Reply 53
Is it a 12 or 18 marker? I don't know how to do 18 markers?! I would firstly define ethnocentrism include the things like alpha and beta bias, basically if it's a 12 marks worth of description, then include about 3 studies, I would use two that were on carried out in culture and explain how they were ethnocentric and then I would use Ainsworth's to point out how cross-cultural research can still be ethnocentric (those Japansese and German kids were still categorised as one of the insecure attachment types despite the...:wink:)

Thanks , is alpha and beta bias to do with gender bias exaggeration or to with being minimal ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks , is alpha and beta bias to do with gender bias exaggeration or to with being minimal ?

These are my definitions:

Alpha Bias: A tendancy to exaggerate differences between cultures, usually used to show one culture is superior to another.

An example: Yerkes 1917 looked at army recruits, ww1 mental age of soliders, they found that the average black solider mental age was 10.4 years that was compared to the average mental age of a white US solider which was 13 years. (not sure if this is right as my teacher tends to leave out units when mentioning studies and so I asked and she presumed it was years but then why weren't people more concerned at how low the mental age was? :confused:)

Beta Bias: Ignores/minimise differences between cultures.
Example: Freud claims the Oedipus complex is universal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone got acopy/link to the June 2011 paper? It'd be really useful :biggrin:

Also, I've never heard the words alpha or beta bias... is this important :/
Reply 56
These are my definitions:

Alpha Bias: A tendancy to exaggerate differences between cultures, usually used to show one culture is superior to another.

An example: Yerkes 1917 looked at army recruits, ww1 mental age of soliders, they found that the average black solider mental age was 10.4 years that was compared to the average mental age of a white US solider which was 13 years. (not sure if this is right as my teacher tends to leave out units when mentioning studies and so I asked and she presumed it was years but then why weren't people more concerned at how low the mental age was? :confused:)

Beta Bias: Ignores/minimise differences between cultures.
Example: Freud claims the Oedipus complex is universal.

Oh okay Thanks :smile:
Original post by LemonadeRevival
Anyone got acopy/link to the June 2011 paper? It'd be really useful :biggrin:

Also, I've never heard the words alpha or beta bias... is this important :/

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/psych/Pages/default.aspx

That should work, then the June 2011 paper is there for selection. If it doesn't, go to the edexcel website, where it says qualifcation family select GCE from 2008, then Psychology in the subject, then click go, and it's under question paper!

No they are not important at all - just some extra detail to put in an 18 marker on ethnocentrism - you can more than get by without it :smile:
Reply 58
Does anyone have any notes of strengths and weaknesses of the therapies (CBT , DREAMANALYSIS , TOKEN ECONOMY , DRUG THERAPY, FAMILY THERAPY ) ?
Does anyone have any notes of strengths and weaknesses of the therapies (CBT , DREAMANALYSIS , TOKEN ECONOMY , DRUG THERAPY, FAMILY THERAPY ) ?

If you're interested I have some- all they need is the expansion, but I won't be able to have them online until late tonight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending