The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by xDave-
I'd say give all the single numbers an "0" in front of them (01, 02, 03 etc) to tidy up the table and make home games bold or away games in italics, but maybe I just have OCD. It'd probs look nicer anyway lol

Nasty start to the season, but lots of home games. Hopefully we don't have a bad run or it could be over before we even hit November, that'd be crazy. Like someone said, we're usually slow starters, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I really, really, really disagree. I don't see what Carrick offers at all. He's supposed to be in the team for his passing but he often gives the ball away and rarely makes a probing pass, through or long ball (note: he does sometimes, rarely though). He's slow and not very strong at tackling and he doesn't offer anything at corners and free kicks either. It astounds me that he gets in the squad, let alone the team. Fletcher and Anderson can both do what he "does" (simple passes to the guy next to him) to a much higher level and they each offer their own other attributes (Fletcher's work rate and tackling, Anderson's forward runs and through balls). Honestly, what does Carrick do to justify his place? He's not getting any better either, I used to like Carrick when we first got him, I remember him being pretty good in his prime a few years back. But, since then, it's just been downhill and I don't think an operation is going to fix him.

I completely agree with the carrick thing, he had a good season 2 years ago and when he joined, but now hes gotten alot worse, not united standard at all, i'd honestly prefer gibson in the side to him! He needs to go fast, so do a few players from the squad...If united get a central attacker im sure fletch and ando will keep carrick warming up the bench, hopefully.
Reply 101
Original post by xDave-
I really, really, really disagree. I don't see what Carrick offers at all. He's supposed to be in the team for his passing but he often gives the ball away and rarely makes a probing pass, through or long ball (note: he does sometimes, rarely though). He's slow and not very strong at tackling and he doesn't offer anything at corners and free kicks either. It astounds me that he gets in the squad, let alone the team. Fletcher and Anderson can both do what he "does" (simple passes to the guy next to him) to a much higher level and they each offer their own other attributes (Fletcher's work rate and tackling, Anderson's forward runs and through balls). Honestly, what does Carrick do to justify his place? He's not getting any better either, I used to like Carrick when we first got him, I remember him being pretty good in his prime a few years back. But, since then, it's just been downhill and I don't think an operation is going to fix him.

He's a better passer than Fletch and Ando, certainly. I think it's a mental thing, when he's lacking confidence his game becomes restrained and he just wants to give it to the other guy in midfield, but when he believes in himself he's capable of fantastic and penatrative passes. Remember the one to Giggs against Chelsea in the build up to Rooney's goal? That's the type of thing he can do. I fully agree he doesn't do that anything like enough but he's worth keeping around, he's around the same level as our other central midfielders. Maybe with Scholes gone he'll expand his game a bit, the signs towards the end of the season were encouraging.

Should also point out he's by far the best at protecting our defence. Not necessarily obvious things, his tackling can be weak, but he's just really clever in where he stands and when he presses. Neither Fletch, Ando or Giggs have the required positional discipline for that role. There was a great stat about how many goals we concede with/without him a few months back.

We certainly need a Scholes replacement, but Carrick will (rightly so) continue to contribute. The problem would be when he's the player we build our midfield around, and at times he pretty much has been that.
Reply 102
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think SAF would pay the kind of money if required though. He paid £30m for Rio and £31m for Berba, he is a long time admirer of Modric and he did say he was his player of the season, if anyone in the PL has a chance of commanding that kind of fee surely Modric is the man. Spurs need to be careful, if Modric leaves, I think VDV will be heading to Hamburg in a season or two, Bale will then want out, and they will have blown their chance to crack the top 4. Redknapp might be the manger but I don't know if he makes the right signings to take them past Arsenal, I mean Brad Friedel?

I honestly would like to see modric at old trafford, great vision, great passer, BUT cannot play a full 90, but for this season giggsy can play the last 30 of matches, hes old now and needs to take it easy...I'd easily pay 35m for modric over sneijder purely because of age and ability, in my opinion sneijders a better player, but modric is still young, has epl experiance, ucl experiance, played inter, ac milan, real madrid, big teams! I think he'd be a great buy slotting just infront of fletcher with valencia and nani down the right and left respectively, with young shadowing rooney in a striker role with hernandez being a super sub, sounds like a pretty solid team for next season! Could definately challenge barcelona.
Reply 103
Original post by xDave-
I'd say give all the single numbers an "0" in front of them (01, 02, 03 etc) to tidy up the table and make home games bold or away games in italics, but maybe I just have OCD. It'd probs look nicer anyway lol

Nasty start to the season, but lots of home games. Hopefully we don't have a bad run or it could be over before we even hit November, that'd be crazy. Like someone said, we're usually slow starters, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Maybe you're right I think decent was a bit over the top, possible a mediocre season. Gibson could've done what he did, but only if he was playing at his best :tongue:. Carrick could possibly enjoy a renaissance dunno, if it were my choice I'd play Fletcher or Ando ahead of him any day but both were absent for long periods last season. Let's see how it goes, and yes it is ****ing frustrating seeing him misplace passes and make schoolboy errors while defending and just doesn't look anything like the player we bought. Still much better than two years ago when I just wanted to :gunfire: him.
Reply 104
Original post by Louis.
He's a better passer than Fletch and Ando, certainly. I think it's a mental thing, when he's lacking confidence his game becomes restrained and he just wants to give it to the other guy in midfield, but when he believes in himself he's capable of fantastic and penatrative passes. Remember the one to Giggs against Chelsea in the build up to Rooney's goal? That's the type of thing he can do. I fully agree he doesn't do that anything like enough but he's worth keeping around, he's around the same level as our other central midfielders. Maybe with Scholes gone he'll expand his game a bit, the signs towards the end of the season were encouraging.

Should also point out he's by far the best at protecting our defence. Not necessarily obvious things, his tackling can be weak, but he's just really clever in where he stands and when he presses. Neither Fletch, Ando or Giggs have the required positional discipline for that role. There was a great stat about how many goals we concede with/without him a few months back.

We certainly need a Scholes replacement, but Carrick will (rightly so) continue to contribute. The problem would be when he's the player we build our midfield around, and at times he pretty much has been that.

He needs consistency, having a good game every so often or stringing together a few passes once in a blue moon will not win u the title! Fletcher is very consistent, tough enough to defend and hold the midfield, and can also pass the ball and even score goals! Carrick can be great, a mile better than fletch and ando, but his inconsistency is why i dont want him in the squad.
Reply 105
Original post by KumailN
I honestly would like to see modric at old trafford, great vision, great passer, BUT cannot play a full 90, but for this season giggsy can play the last 30 of matches, hes old now and needs to take it easy...I'd easily pay 35m for modric over sneijder purely because of age and ability, in my opinion sneijders a better player, but modric is still young, has epl experiance, ucl experiance, played inter, ac milan, real madrid, big teams! I think he'd be a great buy slotting just infront of fletcher with valencia and nani down the right and left respectively, with young shadowing rooney in a striker role with hernandez being a super sub, sounds like a pretty solid team for next season! Could definately challenge barcelona.

Redknapp is not an idiot, they aren't going to sell him simple as. Not with everyone rating him so highly, Linekar has come out and said it too. Their success in the next 5 years could be down to him staying and if they let him go they very well could miss out on CL spots, they're already outsiders. I can't see them selling for less than 30m and even that at a stretch with some stupid clauses in it, if they do they'll be posed with the same problem we currently have cus face it Huddlestone, Jenas and Palacios got nothing on Modric.

This really is a tough decision for Fergie possibly his biggest decision yet, who to go for Sneijder or Modric or possibly Nasri, has he got someone else in mind? Cantona recommended Valbuena, personally I don't rate him much a lot of what he does seems real "flukey". When the Possebon deal went through there was talk of us Possebon-ly :tongue: having first choice for Ganso but seems very unlikely seeing as he's constantly hindered by injuries. Players like Banega and Defour too seem highly unlikely. Honestly the only person who could come close to an answer about next seasons CM is Fergie or Gill. If I had to decide I'd prise either Nasri or Sneijder away. Nasri preferably.
Reply 106
Original post by ksahnan
Redknapp is not an idiot, they aren't going to sell him simple as. Not with everyone rating him so highly, Linekar has come out and said it too. Their success in the next 5 years could be down to him staying and if they let him go they very well could miss out on CL spots, they're already outsiders. I can't see them selling for less than 30m and even that at a stretch with some stupid clauses in it, if they do they'll be posed with the same problem we currently have cus face it Huddlestone, Jenas and Palacios got nothing on Modric.

This really is a tough decision for Fergie possibly his biggest decision yet, who to go for Sneijder or Modric or possibly Nasri, has he got someone else in mind? Cantona recommended Valbuena, personally I don't rate him much a lot of what he does seems real "flukey". When the Possebon deal went through there was talk of us Possebon-ly :tongue: having first choice for Ganso but seems very unlikely seeing as he's constantly hindered by injuries. Players like Banega and Defour too seem highly unlikely. Honestly the only person who could come close to an answer about next seasons CM is Fergie or Gill. If I had to decide I'd prise either Nasri or Sneijder away. Nasri preferably.

Agree with redknapp not letting him go, but if a player wants to go, the player wants to go right? Im sure theyll listen to offers and modric would be a better buy that sneijder! Haha true, jenas, huddelstone and palacios cant do half of what modric can!

Yeah it is, this one player could change the entire team and either bring the team down or bring it to success, without scholes, fletch, gibson, giggs, ando and carrick can not win us everything, fletch is a solid player, gibson i wouldnt really rate him as highly as everyone else may, ando is good but hes not enough to bring everything home and carricks too inconsistent, Id also tak enasri out of all 3 anyday, he just wants to win, he rips up teams like he did us when he scored 2! Hes got real talent and could easily take us up the ladder :smile: We dont need young upcoming stars, we need players who are already established, nasri and modric both have epl, ucl and big game experiance, sneijder just has 2 of them! i think its a pick out of the 3, and honestly in my opinion i think we'll end up getting modric, i dont see us getting nasri and sneijder has admitted hes happy in italy.
Original post by xDave-

No hes not. You've mistaken him for the Carrick of 2-3 seasons ago. The Carrick of today is much more deep lying and has turned into a DM to more or less accomodate for Hargreaves' departure. Ball retention, breaking up play and starting up attacks is his forte. As for sideway passes, his passing stats last season beg to differ.

Fletcher has been as poor as carrick, if not, more last season. Didnt manage to carry his form from 09/10.
Reply 108
Original post by KumailN
Agree with redknapp not letting him go, but if a player wants to go, the player wants to go right? Im sure theyll listen to offers and modric would be a better buy that sneijder! Haha true, jenas, huddelstone and palacios cant do half of what modric can!

Yeah it is, this one player could change the entire team and either bring the team down or bring it to success, without scholes, fletch, gibson, giggs, ando and carrick can not win us everything, fletch is a solid player, gibson i wouldnt really rate him as highly as everyone else may, ando is good but hes not enough to bring everything home and carricks too inconsistent, Id also tak enasri out of all 3 anyday, he just wants to win, he rips up teams like he did us when he scored 2! Hes got real talent and could easily take us up the ladder :smile: We dont need young upcoming stars, we need players who are already established, nasri and modric both have epl, ucl and big game experiance, sneijder just has 2 of them! i think its a pick out of the 3, and honestly in my opinion i think we'll end up getting modric, i dont see us getting nasri and sneijder has admitted hes happy in italy.

Nasri would be so awesome though, especially as he'll be from the gunners marking what I think would be a serious decline and clearout for them. Sneijder yeah wants to stay, I mean I can understand where he's coming from and kinda feel like he doesn't want to move from Inter now after they saved him from the hellhole that was madrid. Man all of these players are going to be so hard to get! Probably going to be like that time I had to make Mourinho retire so I could bring Ronaldo back to unite in FM11. Lol twas just for fun. Anyone Fergie brings in will be a major coup, and I don't think Modric wants to leave atm could in the coming months though.
Original post by KumailN
I honestly would like to see modric at old trafford, great vision, great passer, BUT cannot play a full 90
Why can't he play the full 90? Its VDV who in the injury prone one. In the article I have posted it shows him playing 27 matches completing 2418mins which is an average of 89mins a match. His season total was 32 matches.

Interesting article on Modric's passing. Xavi-esqe completion rates, that's in the Premier League with Spurs tactics.

Original post by Louis.

As I have said before Carrick is not defensive midfielder, he plays the position as he is good at reading the game, good passing ability and disipline. He likes to have space between the midfield and defence in which to sit, and isn't comfortable under pressure, which is why he gets found out in high pressure games when that gap closes. He's not a particularly good tackler and is never going to be an enforcer. I think he needs to work on his possession, he gives the ball away far too often in such a dangerous position. That said I think that is partially because of the failure of the players around him. I think an addition like Modric could fix this.

I always found that the problems arose when we lost the central midfield battle, this IMO is due to the failure of Anderson, Fletcher, etc. When this happens they become passengers in the game, Carrick gets backed into the defence as he drops off to into space, and we end up with a gap between our midfield and our strikers. Rooney's answer to this is dropping deep into midfield to collect the ball, which isn't a solution as he is just filling the role of a midfielder and leaving us a striker down. You could see SAF yelling at him to stay higher up the field during the CL final. This was partially remedied by the introduction of Scholes to games, he was happy to collect the ball from Carrick and carry out of our half. Anderson has at times this season, done this job, however I'm not convinced he is good enough to fill this role, most of those performances came against sub par midfields. I think someone like Modric or Nasri who is happy to collect the ball and distribute it under pressure is the answer.
Reply 110
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
No hes not. You've mistaken him for the Carrick of 2-3 seasons ago. The Carrick of today is much more deep lying and has turned into a DM to more or less accomodate for Hargreaves' departure. Ball retention, breaking up play and starting up attacks is his forte. As for sideway passes, his passing stats last season beg to differ.

Fletcher has been as poor as carrick, if not, more last season. Didnt manage to carry his form from 09/10.

What stats do you have on him? All I've found (from here) are he managed 1 assist, confirming he's not there to provide any sort of killer ball, and 2 yellow cards, which suggests he's either amazing at tackling or intercepts a hell of a lot if he's doing this defensive job. Can't see any passing info anywhere, so what stats do you have?

I agree, Fletcher has also been sub-par, as has Anderson. All 3 have been far better in the past. Our central midfield is a very worrying area; we seem to choose a 37 year old ex-winger instead of our natural CMs most of the time, says a lot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
What stats do you have on him? All I've found (from here) are he managed 1 assist, confirming he's not there to provide any sort of killer ball, and 2 yellow cards, which suggests he's either amazing at tackling or intercepts a hell of a lot if he's doing this defensive job. Can't see any passing info anywhere, so what stats do you have?
Most of the Carrick hate was dispelled, mine included, when the soc read http://7cantonas.com/2011/02/much-maligned-carrick-2-0-quietly-doing-things-his-own-understated-brilliant-way/

Most of Carricks passes are out wide to Valencia and Nani, or through and wide to the striker, starting and attack rather than adding the finishing touches. He's not a particularly good tackler but his interceptions are good.
Reply 112
Original post by ksahnan
Nasri would be so awesome though, especially as he'll be from the gunners marking what I think would be a serious decline and clearout for them. Sneijder yeah wants to stay, I mean I can understand where he's coming from and kinda feel like he doesn't want to move from Inter now after they saved him from the hellhole that was madrid. Man all of these players are going to be so hard to get! Probably going to be like that time I had to make Mourinho retire so I could bring Ronaldo back to unite in FM11. Lol twas just for fun. Anyone Fergie brings in will be a major coup, and I don't think Modric wants to leave atm could in the coming months though.

Yeah if nasri goes, fabregas, arshavin, possibly van persie would leave too which would leave them with...well for them hopefully gervinho :P

Original post by doggyfizzel
Why can't he play the full 90? Its VDV who in the injury prone one. In the article I have posted it shows him playing 27 matches completing 2418mins which is an average of 89mins a match. His season total was 32 matches.

Interesting article on Modric's passing. Xavi-esqe completion rates, that's in the Premier League with Spurs tactics.

As I have said before Carrick is not defensive midfielder, he plays the position as he is good at reading the game, good passing ability and disipline. He likes to have space between the midfield and defence in which to sit, and isn't comfortable under pressure, which is why he gets found out in high pressure games when that gap closes. He's not a particularly good tackler and is never going to be an enforcer. I think he needs to work on his possession, he gives the ball away far too often in such a dangerous position. That said I think that is partially because of the failure of the players around him. I think an addition like Modric could fix this.

I always found that the problems arose when we lost the central midfield battle, this IMO is due to the failure of Anderson, Fletcher, etc. When this happens they become passengers in the game, Carrick gets backed into the defence as he drops off to into space, and we end up with a gap between our midfield and our strikers. Rooney's answer to this is dropping deep into midfield to collect the ball, which isn't a solution as he is just filling the role of a midfielder and leaving us a striker down. You could see SAF yelling at him to stay higher up the field during the CL final. This was partially remedied by the introduction of Scholes to games, he was happy to collect the ball from Carrick and carry out of our half. Anderson has at times this season, done this job, however I'm not convinced he is good enough to fill this role, most of those performances came against sub par midfields. I think someone like Modric or Nasri who is happy to collect the ball and distribute it under pressure is the answer.

Oh sorry those are my statistics getting mixed up Yeah just looked up on them now and hes done a full 90 for most games, sorry!
Couldnt have said it any better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Boy do our first 6 fixtures look difficult.
Reply 114
Tottenham demand £45M for Chelsea, Man Utd target Modric
Tottenham want more than DOUBLE what Chelsea offered for Luka Modric on Wednesday night. The London Evening Standard says Tottenham will not sell Modric to Chelsea under any circumstances and hope to scare off other suitors by putting a staggering £45million price tag on his head.

:lolwut:

On a side note it looks like Eto wants to come to the Premiership.
Reply 115
Original post by Guvnor
Tottenham demand £45M for Chelsea, Man Utd target Modric
Tottenham want more than DOUBLE what Chelsea offered for Luka Modric on Wednesday night. The London Evening Standard says Tottenham will not sell Modric to Chelsea under any circumstances and hope to scare off other suitors by putting a staggering £45million price tag on his head.

:lolwut:

On a side note it looks like Eto wants to come to the Premiership.

Wow,thats a massive blow isnt it :frown: Yess Eto's wanting a move, Eto > Berbatov anyday :smile:
It's good to get some difficult games out of the way before the Champion's League starts......

As for Modric, I reckon they'd sell at £35m - he's got a relatively crappy contract at Spurs, the speculation could unsettle him. :teeth:
Reply 117
Original post by Kevmeister
It's good to get some difficult games out of the way before the Champion's League starts......

As for Modric, I reckon they'd sell at £35m - he's got a relatively crappy contract at Spurs, the speculation could unsettle him. :teeth:

Tbh I don't think he's worth £35m whether he goes for that price is a different matter altogether, the most I'd pay for him would be 20-25m not more than that.
Reply 118
Original post by KumailN
Wow,thats a massive blow isnt it :frown: Yess Eto's wanting a move, Eto > Berbatov anyday :smile:

It be interesting to see who bids for him tbh, he's a legend of a striker with good speed and power. Should be interesting :holmes:
Eto'o is the second best paid footballer in football, no chance of anyone but City or Chelsea offering him a deal he'll take.

Latest