The Student Room Group

BBC NEWS: Shafilea Ahmed's parents charged with her murder

Shafilea Ahmed's parents charged with her murder

The parents of Cheshire schoolgirl Shafilea Ahmed, the suspected victim of a so-called honour killing, have been charged with her murder.

A coroner ruled that Shafilea Ahmed was unlawfully killed

The 17-year-old was last seen in Warrington in September 2003.

Her decomposed remains were found on the banks of the River Kent in Cumbria in February 2004.

Iftikhar Ahmed, 51, and Farzana Ahmed, 48, of Liverpool Road in Great Sankey, Warrington, have always denied any involvement in their daughter's death.

The couple appeared at Halton Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, and were remanded in custody.

They are now due to appear before Manchester Crown Court on Friday.

Mr and Mrs Ahmed were initially arrested on suspicion of kidnapping their daughter in December 2003. In June 2004 they were released without charge when the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) ruled there was insufficient evidence against them.

They were arrested on suspicion of her murder in 2010 and released on police bail.

The CPS authorised Cheshire police to charge the couple on Wednesday.

The CPS authorised Cheshire police to charge Shafilea's parents
Two post-mortem examinations failed to determine how Ms Ahmed died but a verdict of unlawful killing was recorded at her inquest in 2008.

The inquest heard she was a bright and intelligent young woman who wanted to go to university and become a lawyer.

Pathologists said she was most likely strangled or suffocated and South Cumbria coroner Ian Smith said he believed she was probably murdered.

The teenager went missing on 11 September 2003 and was reported missing by a teacher a week later.

Her body was discovered by workmen and she was identified by her jewellery and dental records.

A short video clip on the link below is also available on the matter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14822370

Just seen it. It's certainly taken a while...

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Hope they rot, It is worrying that it took them so long to get a conviction, but at least the dead girls friends can put their minds at rest now.

"She disappeared shortly after a trip to Pakistan in which she was introduced to a potential suitor. During the trip she drank bleach and harmed herself in an apparent cry for help, and needed regular hospital treatment to correct injuries to her throat."

This was a long time ago, was it before the police set up a special unit to deal with the honor killing issue? (I'm pretty sure one was set up) Still concerning that all the warning signs were there but nothing could be done until it was too late
Reply 2
Original post by Darth Stewie
Hope they rot, It is worrying that it took them so long to get a conviction

They've been charged, not convicted.

While innocent until proven guilty, I think it very odd that she was reported missing after a week by her teacher rather than much earlier by her parents.
Original post by viffer
They've been charged, not convicted.

While innocent until proven guilty, I think it very odd that she was reported missing after a week by her teacher rather than much earlier by her parents

Same here, I find it strange...makes me think maybe they knew (or had something to do with it). Makes me suspicious.
(edited 12 years ago)
I would love to see how this case ends...it's so sad, but I'm very suspicious myself. The fact that the parents did not report her missing sticks out to me. Reminds me of the case of Casey Anthony (she didn't report her daughter missing). Makes me think: why?
Original post by Darth Stewie
but at least the dead girls friends can put their minds at rest now.

The sad thing is it should be the family who need to put their minds at rest, evidently they couldn't care less.

Such a horrible and avoidable case.
Reply 7
The crime is extremely serious and sad but I was quite shocked to find that their own daughter testified against them

She has ultimately severed ties with her community and obviously her parents.The world can be a lonely place without any family by your side

Yet on the other hand her sister deserves justice
Original post by diggy
The crime is extremely serious and sad but I was quite shocked to find that their own daughter testified against them

She has ultimately severed ties with her community and obviously her parents.The world can be a lonely place without any family by your side

Yet on the other hand her sister deserves justice

She is a british citizen who will hopefully be treated as such and provided support to rebuild her life away from her community which is possible here, there are many non pakistani/muslim brits who have severed all ties with family and they do just fine.

It shows the lack of IQ within these communities that they would shame a girl who is trying to get justice for her murdered sister. Their morals are completely bankrupt and backward.
Reply 9
Original post by badcheesecrispy
She is a british citizen who will hopefully be treated as such and provided support to rebuild her life away from her community which is possible here, there are many non pakistani/muslim brits who have severed all ties with family and they do just fine.

It shows the lack of IQ within these communities that they would shame a girl who is trying to get justice for her murdered sister. Their morals are completely bankrupt and backward.

These types of communities are close knit (like mine) they will be able to identify her by her last name

If not that it would be suspicious a young girl with no family living by herself
Reply 10
Original post by diggy
These types of communities are close knit (like mine) they will be able to identify her by her last name

If not that it would be suspicious a young girl with no family living by herself

more suspicious than a young womans unexplained disappearance?

Can't you understand that when anyone outside that community looks at it's cultural practices and values they are disgusted and cannot comprehend why it's been allowed to persist so long in a civilised society?
Reply 11
Original post by Joinedup
more suspicious than a young womans unexplained disappearance?

Can't you understand that when anyone outside that community looks at it's cultural practices and values they are disgusted and cannot comprehend why it's been allowed to persist so long in a civilised society?

yep for them it's normal for us it's not
Original post by diggy

She can change her name (I read about one woman who did this)

And btw, many people live alone...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dee Leigh
I would love to see how this case ends...it's so sad, but I'm very suspicious myself. The fact that the parents did not report her missing sticks out to me. Reminds me of the case of Casey Anthony (she didn't report her daughter missing). Makes me think: why?

I agree with you, I think it's a very sad case - and yes, something doesn't quite add up here
Reply 14
She can change her name (I read about one woman who did this)

And btw, many people live alone...

but they (the Pakistani community) have old fashioned ideas it would be very strange for a muslim girl to be living alone with NO family and no male presence
Original post by diggy
but they (the Pakistani community) have old fashioned ideas it would be very strange for a muslim girl to be living alone with NO family and no male presence

Yes I know but so what? What is she supposed to do?

The girl's safety and her life should be the main priorities, not a backwards culture.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
its their culture and we should accept it
Original post by Ak138
its their culture and we should accept it

No. It is a backwards culture and it is incompatible with British/Western culture.
Reply 18
No. It is a backwards culture and it is incompatible with British/Western culture.

correct. i was playing the open minded liberal
Reply 19
Its a shame that in the case of honour killings, the killers prioritize their culture over their religion.

Quick Reply

Latest