The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Anthropology applicants 2012

Has anyone applied for straight Anthropology at UCL yet and received an interview or offer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I applied about 2 weeks ago now, and I heard from them yesterday stating they required an essay from me. Have you been asked for this?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Yes I too have been asked to write the essay. Glad that I can be doing something towards this application rather than just wait
Reply 3
Congrats!

Can I ask you what predicted grades you applied to UCL with? I'm still awaiting a reply:frown:
Original post by MikeLuke

Original post by MikeLuke
Congrats!

Can I ask you what predicted grades you applied to UCL with? I'm still awaiting a reply:frown:

Any news? I'm on a gap year - I faced my fate this summer and received an A* in English and three As in History, Politics and GS. Solid enough but everyone else applying will have the same or better. How about you?

They've just asked me to write an essay. I'm concerned to say the least - I don't have a day off work for the best part of a fortnight; I don't know where I'm going to find the time. Ha, I'm struggling already. Maybe it's not the place for me. Although, the essay itself doesn't seem too bad; as I understand it's effectively a critique of three essays. It seems more than a little arrogant; a pre-undergraduate attempting to criticise the work of people who know far, far more about the subject than I do. Well, good luck to everyone...
Reply 5
If you were asked to do an essay, does that mean that you've faced the first chop of applicants and ultimately you're through to the next round, or do they ask an essay of all the applicants?

Many thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Arman1994
If you were asked to do an essay, does that mean that you've faced the first chop of applicants and ultimately you're through to the next round, or do they ask an essay of all the applicants?

Many thanks

I don't think it's first chop or second stage kind of thing, because on the link they said the essay was for 'ALL" Applicants :/

I think it's for everyone unless you've got terrible grades which dont match up like CCDD then they'd probably just reject..
Reply 7
Original post by FiveandSix
I don't think it's first chop or second stage kind of thing, because on the link they said the essay was for 'ALL" Applicants :/

I think it's for everyone unless you've got terrible grades which dont match up like CCDD then they'd probably just reject..

I went to the UCL Anthropology open day and they said that most applicants were given the essay task, unless your predicted grades weren't high enough or your personal statement was of poor quality. Then they said that they weigh up the quality of the essay with the rest of your application - no idea if they interview though!
I haven't heard anything back yet - they mentioned that they were giving out replies in two gathered fields: one for applications sent before (I think it was around) 17th November, and one for applications sent up to the Jan 15th deadline. So I'm guessing I won't hear anything for a few weeks!
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by NKara
Yeah I read something about the two batches of essay tasks one in november and one in January, although I didn't think they would hand out offers until they got all essays back! Anyways guess we will just wait and see!
How was te open day what did you think of UCL? :smile:

Indeed! Getting quite nervous now, they're my top choice and I don't really want to go anywhere else! Ah I loved it. They gave a mini talk on the three different sections of the course and I was particularly drawn to Material Culture, it sounds so interesting! And the university has a really nice atmosphere - which I didn't quite get from LSE..
Have you been to any of the UCL open days? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by flume
Indeed! Getting quite nervous now, they're my top choice and I don't really want to go anywhere else! Ah I loved it. They gave a mini talk on the three different sections of the course and I was particularly drawn to Material Culture, it sounds so interesting! And the university has a really nice atmosphere - which I didn't quite get from LSE..
Have you been to any of the UCL open days? :smile:

Im the same person as before I just forgot I was logged in as NK.. anyways ! I think we will have to wait until they've sent the second batch and got all the replies from them! Ahh UCL sounds amazing! and yeh i love the different elements to the course, I haven't been to any Univeristy open days except SOAS, so I'm not even sure what a UNI is like, as SOAS is quite different. What are yu predicted? :smile:
Reply 10
Im the same person as before I just forgot I was logged in as NK.. anyways ! I think we will have to wait until they've sent the second batch and got all the replies from them! Ahh UCL sounds amazing! and yeh i love the different elements to the course, I haven't been to any Univeristy open days except SOAS, so I'm not even sure what a UNI is like, as SOAS is quite different. What are yu predicted? :smile:

I missed the first batch by 10 days so I'm yet to hear from them at all yet - hopefully I'll get given the essay task!
I'm predicted A*AB, and a pass in the Welsh Baccalaureate qualification - which some universities count as an A at A Level, some don't count it at all. So I really have no idea whether I'll get an offer as I'm not predicted AAA..:frown:
What about you?
Original post by flume

I'm predicted A*AB, and a pass in the Welsh Baccalaureate qualification - which some universities count as an A at A Level, some don't count it at all. So I really have no idea whether I'll get an offer as I'm not predicted AAA..:frown:
What about you?

I'm predicted AAA but I just got a rejection from Bristol -and they wanted AAB :frown: this is getting me really worried about UCL now since it's my first choice and definitely going to have a lot more people applying. Which other unis have you applied to?
Reply 12
Original post by whiteviolet
I'm predicted AAA but I just got a rejection from Bristol -and they wanted AAB :frown: this is getting me really worried about UCL now since it's my first choice and definitely going to have a lot more people applying. Which other unis have you applied to?

Ah sorry to hear! That sucks. Perhaps your PS was heavily weighted towards Anthropology and not Archaeology? My friend got rejected by Bristol for History last year and he was predicted A*A*A.
I know, me too! There are probably quite a few Oxbridge applicants so that's my big worry. I'll probably reapply if I get rejected though, I'm deferring a year so it doesn't make too much of a difference to my plans!
I've applied to Durham, Manchester, Goldsmiths, and Brunel :smile: Had offers from the last three and still waiting on Durham, but I think most people are! Where have you applied to?
Reply 13
Original post by flume
I missed the first batch by 10 days so I'm yet to hear from them at all yet - hopefully I'll get given the essay task!
What about you?

Im predicted A*AB as well! It is worrying considering that many applicants will have A*A*A grades etc, but hopefully my essay and personal statement were good enough! Let me know if you get the essay task! :biggrin:
Reply 14

Ah thats a shame, Bristols a bit of a weird one, I know quite a few who've been rejected when they exceed the grades, what else have you applied for?
Did none of you consider SOAS? We're fairly well known for it.

(I'm taking a class within the Anthro department there).
Original post by flume

Original post by flume
Ah sorry to hear! That sucks. Perhaps your PS was heavily weighted towards Anthropology and not Archaeology? My friend got rejected by Bristol for History last year and he was predicted A*A*A.
I know, me too! There are probably quite a few Oxbridge applicants so that's my big worry. I'll probably reapply if I get rejected though, I'm deferring a year so it doesn't make too much of a difference to my plans!
I've applied to Durham, Manchester, Goldsmiths, and Brunel :smile: Had offers from the last three and still waiting on Durham, but I think most people are! Where have you applied to?

Ah thats a shame, Bristols a bit of a weird one, I know quite a few who've been rejected when they exceed the grades, what else have you applied for?

Yeah my PS was pretty much mostly anthropology so that may have been why but all of my other courses are pure anth. I've applied to SOAS, UCL, Durham and Bristol and haven't heard anything yet :frown: although I've heard that Durham and London unis are usually quite late at offers?
I have a space left but I'm trying to find another course I really like with lower entry grades - was thinking Sussex or Manchester but they want AAB as well :/
Reply 17
Yeah my PS was pretty much mostly anthropology so that may have been why but all of my other courses are pure anth. I've applied to SOAS, UCL, Durham and Bristol and haven't heard anything yet :frown: although I've heard that Durham and London unis are usually quite late at offers?
I have a space left but I'm trying to find another course I really like with lower entry grades - was thinking Sussex or Manchester but they want AAB as well :/

Manchester is ABB :smile: and Sussex is either AAB or A*BB
and if you're looking for somewhere lower Brunel is only BBB? :smile:
Oh really? my bad but that's good news for me :smile:
yeah I considered Brunel but the deciding factor is that it's right around the corner from my house :/ and tbh I don't think I could bear living that close to home or even AT home since my parents will refuse to pay for me to live in halls further away from the uni than my house lol
Reply 19
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Did none of you consider SOAS? We're fairly well known for it.

(I'm taking a class within the Anthro department there).

Yeah Ive been offered a place at SOAS AAA, How is it there? :smile:

Quick Reply