The Student Room Group

Edith Bouvier asks for Syria evacuation

Front Headline for BBC News at the moment:

The French journalist who was wounded in an attack on the Syrian city of Homs on Wednesday has asked to be evacuated from Syria quickly.

Edith Bouvier was injured in the attack that killed journalists Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik in the Baba Amr suburb.

In a video posted online by opposition activists, Ms Bouvier says she has a broken femur and needs an operation.

She says she needs a ceasefire and a medically equipped vehicle to take her to the Lebanese border.

Personally I find this a little insensitive. Although I don't wish Edith Bouvier any harm, and I understand that the BBC has been covering the humanities in Syria in the past few weeks in great depth, it seems to me that the way in which this has been reported gives the impression that her injuries are more griveous and concerning than the thousands who have died in Syria.

I won't get into a huge debate about one life weighed against others, but I found this quite annoying from the BBC considering the death toll in Syria has reached between 7500-9000 when she's merely broken her femur......
Original post by Kiss
it seems to me that the way in which this has been reported gives the impression that her injuries are more griveous and concerning than the thousands who have died in Syria.

What makes you think that?
Reply 2
Original post by AkaJetson
What makes you think that?

Front Page for a news reporter from a western country gets injured - bbc kicks up a fuss, yet about 8000people have died in Syria.
Original post by Kiss
Front Page for a news reporter from a western country gets injured - bbc kicks up a fuss, yet about 8000people have died in Syria.

Well they've been reporting about the deaths of Syrians for months now, you can't expect them to constantly put that on the front page.
Reply 4
Original post by AkaJetson
Well they've been reporting about the deaths of Syrians for months now, you can't expect them to constantly put that on the front page.

Yes, but it still seems a little insensitive. Sorry that the Syrian crisis has vanished until a western reporter gets a boo-boo, but people are dying right now.
Reply 5
She went there knowing the dangers, journalists should not expect to have members of the armed forces risk their lives over them (especially in situations like this when no protection was ever available) just because they have got themselves in trouble.
So she went into a country which is waging a civil war type scenario, got injured and is now requesting that the country pauses the civil war just for her to get out.. while thousands of innocents are already dying?

:colonhash:.
Reply 7
Original post by Kiss

This has been covered on a daily basis by just about every news agency out there. I follow about 10 different media outlets on twitter and most have at least one article a day about Syria and the deathtoll.
Original post by Kiss

Personally I find this a little insensitive. Although I don't wish Edith Bouvier any harm, and I understand that the BBC has been covering the humanities in Syria in the past few weeks in great depth, it seems to me that the way in which this has been reported gives the impression that her injuries are more griveous and concerning than the thousands who have died in Syria.

I won't get into a huge debate about one life weighed against others, but I found this quite annoying from the BBC considering the death toll in Syria has reached between 7500-9000 when she's merely broken her femur......

I understand what you're saying and, to a certain degree, I agree with it. However, I think you could do worse than to take the BBC reports with a pinch of salt. Edith Bouvier has the means to cry out for help and is simply doing that, as is her right. The BBC is reporting that fact, as is their job. There are a lot of Syrian natives who are also crying out for help, as is their right but the BBC isn't putting quite as much effort into reporting on them and I agree that that is perhaps a little unfair.

Personally, I'd like to see a bit more emphasis put on what the Russians, Chinese and Iranians are thinking (and doing) but I expect that would be even harder to achieve than reporting from within Syria. And less dramatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending