The Student Room Group

How much would you pay for a 4 month work placement?

Conditions: company unknown / organised by Brunel University / price £800

Assumed you agree to pay for such an internship, how much would be your absolute limit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pay for an internship in an unknown company? Mate, forget about that. It's not a good deal. If you are interested, however, I can give you the contact details of a few Nigerian princes who want to invest their inheritance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I would pay what it costs to tell them to go **** themselves.
Reply 3
I prefer getting paid for my internships
Reply 4
This must be something that only students wanting US-style education must pay ? Those with a good solid European education _get_ paid.
Seriously though, I would never pay to do a job. If you don't value yourself, then how do you expect others to ? Tell Brunel to go and jump off a bridge: the Brunel Clifton Bridge will do fine. Which is nowhere near Mecca.

TBD
Reply 5
Original post by KLL
I prefer getting paid for my internships

Sorry mate, this wasn´t the question. Who wouldn´t like to get money instead?:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by TBD
This must be something that only students wanting US-style education must pay ? Those with a good solid European education _get_ paid.
Seriously though, I would never pay to do a job. If you don't value yourself, then how do you expect others to ? Tell Brunel to go and jump off a bridge: the Brunel Clifton Bridge will do fine. Which is nowhere near Mecca.

TBD

I guess the `fee´ is paid as a kind of commission. Waht you pay for isn´t the job but the experience. Many students are probably afraid not to find an internship position. On this way they can easily buy one including a job offer if they´re lucky. This question has nothing to do with that US education stuff. Either way, I wouldn´t pay for it.
This sounds like exploitation to a whole new level. I mean not paying interns is bad but making them pay you. Wow.
Exploiting on a DIFFERENT level. Work for free and have travel expenses paid, yes. But paying to work? No way, you'd have to be stupid. Smart of the companies that know graduates need experience in their sector, but it's exploitation and you're stupid if you fall for it. If the emplyer can be paid and you work for them then good on the employer tbh
Reply 9
Working for free to get experiences or if it is vocational in your curriculum - sure, up to some level (wouldn`t do that really long if it wasn`t part of a study programme or anything, simply can`t afford to work for nothing).

PAYING the company to let you work with them? Sure, as soon as hell freezes over... :wink:
Seriously, that ain`t no deal you wanna make, it`s outright exploitation and I wouldn`t wanna work with a firm/company who does something like that, tells you alot about their policy towards their employees...
Reply 10
Never ever work for free unless it is for a charity. Otherwise someone else is profiting from your endeavours. I don't buy the arguement that it is a fair exchange for experience. It isn't.

TBD
It's too risky for an unknown company. If it was an incredibly well-known company which would genuinely add a lot of value to a CV then, and only then, would I consider purchasing the job.
Reply 12
Original post by Genocidal
It's too risky for an unknown company. If it was an incredibly well-known company which would genuinely add a lot of value to a CV then, and only then, would I consider purchasing the job.

I agree. If it were for some local accountant or small time business "advisor" then obviously I would tell them to take a running jump off a bridge.

If it were for an international big financial institution however, then I would consider working for free.

I value my time but if the opportunity arose to work for a credible firm that would massively boost my future employment prospects then I would not pass it up. If I did, what would I do during that time which was worth so much more? Mind - I wouldn't put myself in that situation - work hard and earn a place at a top firm... and get paid!

Do you have any other information about your course, previous placements of students in the program, possible destinations etc?
If I knew it was going to signficantly increase my employment prospects or offer me invaluable learnign experiences in my desired field then I would pay £2k for a 4 month internship. No one else has to know that you brought your way in do they? :colone:
As I want to go in to a career in IB, if it were at a top 4 firm, I'd happily give away all my savings for a year internship or whatever (about 5k if anyone was curious, haha)
Reply 15
Original post by TBD
Never ever work for free unless it is for a charity. Otherwise someone else is profiting from your endeavours. I don't buy the arguement that it is a fair exchange for experience. It isn't.

TBD

Sadly, especially concerning internships, it`s hard to find payed jobs like that nowadays, so one might have to bite into that bitter lemon to gain at least some experiences, in order to increase their employability with other firms.
Generally, I agree, but it`s a pain nowadays.

But to pay for work? Never.
Reply 16
Original post by BERLO
Sorry mate, this wasn´t the question. Who wouldn´t like to get money instead?:confused:

So you basically answered your question yourself.

Original post by BERLO
I guess the `fee´ is paid as a kind of commission. Waht you pay for isn´t the job but the experience. Many students are probably afraid not to find an internship position. On this way they can easily buy one including a job offer if they´re lucky. This question has nothing to do with that US education stuff. Either way, I wouldn´t pay for it.

plenty of free and unpaid internships around that are not all too competitive. My uni offers work experience projects with various companies for free and anyone can get a placement...

Original post by _Student_
I agree. If it were for some local accountant or small time business "advisor" then obviously I would tell them to take a running jump off a bridge.

If it were for an international big financial institution however, then I would consider working for free.

They are ironically the ones most likely to compensate you quite handsomely.
Reply 17
Original post by KLL

They are ironically the ones most likely to compensate you quite handsomely.

Well, that's obviously the case, but say, someone from Morgan Stanley calls you with an offer for a year long placement for £5,000. You will work on Facebook's IPO, etc. No one will ever know you paid. Would you still say no? A lot of people here say 'never', but I doubt this would be the case if they face such an offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Even if I had a call from Morgan's Rum the answer would be the same. If you add any value at all you deserve to be compensated. Jam today. Don't be fazed by "chance of a lifetime" bull****.

TBD

Original post by lego
Well, that's obviously the case, but say, someone from Morgan Stanley calls you with an offer for a year long placement for £5,000. You will work on Facebook's IPO, etc. No one will ever know you paid. Would you still say no? A lot of people here say 'never', but I doubt this would be the case if they face such an offer.
Reply 19
Discussing this topic only makes sense against the backdrop of students craving for any kind of practical experience while studying. The idea to charge for an internship position probably originates from the fact that many students find it troublesome to get employed. In order to make sure they´ll have at least one internship to add to their CV after graduation some students may accept it. As long as it´s not illegal to offer internships for money why shouldn´t they try it? There are so many agents for overseas study or internship positions who are doing exactly the same. The lesson is clear: Acceptance is low unless the company is a big player.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending