It's not! We should do monthly reports. Something like:

Month's income:
Month's outgoings:
Net income (or loss):
Net income this tax year:
Total savings including ISAs:
Last purchase >£100:
Biggest monthly drain on income:

If anyone wants to start us off (haven't got figures ATM) then please do. :smile:

Just about to set up a Halifax 4.5 % ISA (5 years). Can anyone do any better on new deals? Any suggestions appreciated.

Can you send me a link to that ISA on their website? Pretty sure my ISA with them is decidedly ****tier...
Reply 302
Looked at my first post in this forum stating back in early December I had £285, as of today I have £650 in savings with an extra £150 in my current (I'll add more to savings at the end of the month).

Considering I spent £650 in January on a block of driving lessons I'm quite proud of what I have achieved :smile:
Original post by Alarae
Looked at my first post in this forum stating back in early December I had £285, as of today I have £650 in savings with an extra £150 in my current (I'll add more to savings at the end of the month).

Considering I spent £650 in January on a block of driving lessons I'm quite proud of what I have achieved :smile:

How did you save up so quickly? :redface:
Reply 304
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
How did you save up so quickly? :redface:

It's a combination of left over student loan/grant, bursary my University gives me and remnants of when I worked over Christmas.

In my last week at my Christmas job I worked 38 hours (essentially twice my contracted hours) and got paid about £450 in total with my tax rebate. From then on I've just added slowly to my savings when I can, and slowly it has built up to what I have now :smile:
Original post by Alarae
It's a combination of left over student loan/grant, bursary my University gives me and remnants of when I worked over Christmas.

In my last week at my Christmas job I worked 38 hours (essentially twice my contracted hours) and got paid about £450 in total with my tax rebate. From then on I've just added slowly to my savings when I can, and slowly it has built up to what I have now :smile:

Wow - that's great! Lucky you :biggrin:
I have another job interview in two weeks time. More monies for me. Huzzah!!

:ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone.

Just a little update.. when student finance comes in next week I can add another £1000 to my savings, I will have £3200. Gonna try my best to not touch any of it over the summer, and try find a job.
Original post by insignificant
Hi everyone.

Just a little update.. when student finance comes in next week I can add another £1000 to my savings, I will have £3200. Gonna try my best to not touch any of it over the summer, and try find a job.

Damn you! That's almost twice as much as I have. Well done btw, what kind of job wil you be looking for? :smile:
Reply 309
Been saving for a couple of years, and i currently have £3500, however by the time i go to uni in september i should have around £9000-10000 from calling in some money i lent out, and from some inheritance. Even though i have enough to buy nice things and all my friends are skint all of the time, i still keep it all to myself :smile: every little helps!!
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Damn you! That's almost twice as much as I have. Well done btw, what kind of job wil you be looking for? :smile:

A very small job, maybe a saturday job for 4/5 hours just so I have enough to treat myself to small things, can't work anymore than that over the summer as my parents are both having major surgery so will need to look after them.
Reply 311
Finally got a job after 4 months of searching! The contract is 4 hours a week in the stockroom at Next but they said they'd give me more hours. Hope they do!!

I've also stumbled across a wholesale job lot of 100 dresses on the internet, all for £300. I am sorely tempted to buy them all and sell them off on eBay for about £10 each but £300 is a lot of money to invest into it...
Congrats, guys!
Reply 313
Ah, got a job at Sainsburys for 34 hours a week, so I should be able to start adding to my savings again :biggrin:

They took a dent a few weeks ago when I decided to shell out £250 for a new TV...
Original post by discountsguide
using coupons will help to get more savings. Try discountsguide.com for latest coupons and vouchers.

I think this may be a troll but this is relevant so i have 'replied' - i recommend hotukdeals.com as this is where I find my coupons and vouchers, as well as vouchercloud.com and moneysavingexpert.com its one of the best web addresses I have to save money. Must have saved me hundreds over the years what with 20% off codes for clothes and finding a deal for a new camera the other week (though I didnt end up using that deal because I found it for the same price with a zoom lens afterwards).

This isnt advertising as its the overall method of online codes from various good websites.
How is everyone coming along? If I'm wanting to stick to my savings plan which I have done so far, it means I won't have much for over the summer. Not that I'll need it for anything as I'm not doing anything.

Can't wait for my student finance to come through so I can get that sorted.

Decided that I can't even afford to have a small job over the summer due to looking after my parents I would be too stressed out. Plus might have resits and stuff so yeah.
Reply 316
anybody finding the amazon trade-in on books working a treat for them? I've got a few books I'm thinking of trading in but then I'm thinking..surely I will make more by just selling them as used? I dont know..
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
They sell at the moment for £45k for a one bedroom.

o.O ???

How is that possible?! 1 bedroom flats up here cost £140k (Aberdeen)
Original post by SilverbySkyline
o.O ???

How is that possible?! 1 bedroom flats up here cost £140k (Aberdeen)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36273356.html

Look at that one. That's a TWO bedroom for under 45k! That's not even the cheapest. It's right in the middle of town, and all other properties surrounding that block are at least double the price. I can't explain it, there isn't even a huge issue with noise or anything like that. The apartments are mostly filled with young people, but they get snapped up in an instant whenever they're on the rental market, so that's all I'd be concerned about as an investor at present. I imagine I'd be able to make my money back fairly quickly even if they never rose in value again, as they currently rent for around £400pcm (my boyfriend rents in the same block).
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36273356.html

Look at that one. That's a TWO bedroom for under 45k! That's not even the cheapest. It's right in the middle of town, and all other properties surrounding that block are at least double the price. I can't explain it, there isn't even a huge issue with noise or anything like that. The apartments are mostly filled with young people, but they get snapped up in an instant whenever they're on the rental market, so that's all I'd be concerned about as an investor at present. I imagine I'd be able to make my money back fairly quickly even if they never rose in value again, as they currently rent for around £400pcm (my boyfriend rents in the same block).

That is unbelievable! You should snap that up ASAP! If there was a flat like that anywhere near that price up here I'd get it in an instant! Although the price makes me think something is wrong...*Gets detective hat on*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending