The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Omega85
Hello, I have recently applied to the Mphil in Real Estate Finance at Cambridge, and my application is currently sitting on "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies" does anyone know what my chances are? I understand the graduate board next meet on the 10th so I’ll have to wait till then but I wanted to gain a rough idea of my chances.

Also, to those who have also applied/got offers what colleges have you applied for? Do any of the colleges have large numbers of REF students?

Thanks

I went through the websites for every college and applied for Darwin and Clare Hall. I chose them because I decided I wanted to be in a postgraduate only college and they sounded like the best fit for me. Also, Darwin has allotments and gardening is one of my main hobbies so that was the main reason I chose it. I'm not sure how much the college choice matters since a college has to take you if you get an offer. What do other people think? Does anyone know how much the fees vary between colleges?
Gigi, do you mind if i ask what your profile is?
Hello everyone (newbie here),

I just applied to the MPhil REF last Thursday so I was wondering for those who actually hold an offer, how much time did it take from 'under consideration by department' to go to 'under consideration by BoGS' and then an actual offer?

Oh and btw, my flatmate applied for a PhD (molecular something) at Cambridge, got through the department but got rejected by the board of graduate studies... so I wouldn't be too sure 'under consideration by BoGS' is as good as an offer... not to be the bringer of bad news that is...
Reply 103
Original post by shibuyagyoza
Hello everyone (newbie here),

I just applied to the MPhil REF last Thursday so I was wondering for those who actually hold an offer, how much time did it take from 'under consideration by department' to go to 'under consideration by BoGS' and then an actual offer?

Oh and btw, my flatmate applied for a PhD (molecular something) at Cambridge, got through the department but got rejected by the board of graduate studies... so I wouldn't be too sure 'under consideration by BoGS' is as good as an offer... not to be the bringer of bad news that is...

If indeed this is the case, then your flatmate must have lied on part of his or her application.
Original post by Akkuz
If indeed this is the case, then your flatmate must have lied on part of his or her application.

Hey Akkuz, you have an offer I assume?

I doubt he lied, he did however say the interview didn't go according to his expectations (he does have a high 2.1 though at one of the best unis in the country)...

This has gotten me slightly worried even though I've only just applied... :s-smilie:
Reply 105
Original post by wallstreettrader
Gigi, do you mind if i ask what your profile is?

Not at all

2:1 MA (Hons) International Relations from St Andrews
Currently working in real estate sales in California (Have CA Real Estate License)
Have taken some college classes locally in Real Estate
Purpose of getting taking course would be to get a job analyzing feasibility of real estate developments or investments

Did I miss anything? I'm not sure what else to include.

I just found out that I got into LSE on Monday and even if I get into Cambridge, I might stick with LSE. I think I'd rather live in the city. I'm dying to find out though so I can just make a bloody decision and move on with my life! I've been obsessing a bit over the last couple of days even though I know I won't hear anything until late April/early May.
Reply 106
If you google MPhil Real Estate Finance Cambridge LinkedIn you will find a number of people who are on the course or have taken the course and their profiles. This should give you an idea of the type of people taking the course.
Reply 107

I doubt he lied, he did however say the interview didn't go according to his expectations (he does have a high 2.1 though at one of the best unis in the country)...

This has gotten me slightly worried even though I've only just applied... :s-smilie:

To back up what Akkuz said, BoGS is administrative. They do not take academic decisions. They would not be the ones taking a decision on his interview performance or academic offer conditions. Refusal of BoGS to make an offer usually means a problem in that supporting documentation does not match the claims made on the application. If English is not his first language it may be related to not meeting Cambridge standards on that (though it seems they usually offer some other test if so). Plenty of discussion on this topic on both the Cambridge thread in postgrad and the GU forum.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 108

If the interview didn't go well, then maybe it was the committee that rejected him, not BoGS?

I'm awaiting an offer for EP in Land Economy dept.

As Sj has said, it could be to do with language or equivalence of qualifications etc.
Original post by sj27
To back up what Akkuz said, BoGS is administrative. They do not take academic decisions. They would not be the ones taking a decision on his interview performance or academic offer conditions. Refusal of BoGS to make an offer usually means a problem in that supporting documentation does not match the claims made on the application. If English is not his first language it may be related to not meeting Cambridge standards on that (though it seems they usually offer some other test if so). Plenty of discussion on this topic on both the Cambridge thread in postgrad and the GU forum.

Original post by Akkuz
If the interview didn't go well, then maybe it was the committee that rejected him, not BoGS?

I'm awaiting an offer for EP in Land Economy dept.

As Sj has said, it could be to do with language or equivalence of qualifications etc.

Ah OK cool thanks guys, some relief there... good luck with everything!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by gigi2183
Not at all

2:1 MA (Hons) International Relations from St Andrews
Currently working in real estate sales in California (Have CA Real Estate License)
Have taken some college classes locally in Real Estate
Purpose of getting taking course would be to get a job analyzing feasibility of real estate developments or investments

Did I miss anything? I'm not sure what else to include.

I just found out that I got into LSE on Monday and even if I get into Cambridge, I might stick with LSE. I think I'd rather live in the city. I'm dying to find out though so I can just make a bloody decision and move on with my life! I've been obsessing a bit over the last couple of days even though I know I won't hear anything until late April/early May.

hey gigi, did you apply reef for lse?
i got into the same course as well, now im waiting for cambridge's ref i applied abit late and im still under consideration by department for cambridge.

guess we are potential coursemates?!! :smile:
Reply 111
Original post by sally0203
hey gigi, did you apply reef for lse?
i got into the same course as well, now im waiting for cambridge's ref i applied abit late and im still under consideration by department for cambridge.

guess we are potential coursemates?!! :smile:

Yes! Msc REEF at LSE, and like I said even if I get into Cambridge I'm leaning toward LSE because of the location. Do you have a preference at this point? I have a feeling we will hear back from Cambridge following their deadline of April 30. They probably want to review a bulk of the applications at the same time.
Reply 112
Still waiting......for REF
Reply 113
Original post by LSEfreak
Still waiting......for REF

You aren't the only one.
Reply 114
^^ Don't forget the offices are closed until Tuesday.

I was looking through the Land Economy booklet thing yesterday and even though I applied for EP, I can tailor my modules so that 50% of them are finance related :teeth: Don't think I will though.
Original post by Akkuz
^^ Don't forget the offices are closed until Tuesday.

I was looking through the Land Economy booklet thing yesterday and even though I applied for EP, I can tailor my modules so that 50% of them are finance related :teeth: Don't think I will though.

Akkuz you mind me asking how long ago did you submit your application (you're still under consideration by department right? Not BoGS?) and what your profile is?

I've only applied to Cambridge because LSE wants a background in economics which I don't have since I'm a science grad and still at uni. I managed to get a transfer to Imperial in second year but didn't go so I figured if I managed to pull that off this should be OK but now after reading the MPhil Finance thread I'm seriously starting to think this ain't gonna end well lol... :frown:
Reply 116
Yes! Msc REEF at LSE, and like I said even if I get into Cambridge I'm leaning toward LSE because of the location. Do you have a preference at this point? I have a feeling we will hear back from Cambridge following their deadline of April 30. They probably want to review a bulk of the applications at the same time.

Im actually really happy with LSE, though for some reason LSE offered me a first class honours, while my coursemate got the offer for the same course but the condition was only 2:1 :frown: so unfair...

i will prob go for cambridge if i get the offer, still not sure though. :smile:
Reply 117
Akkuz you mind me asking how long ago did you submit your application (you're still under consideration by department right? Not BoGS?)

I didn't apply for this course, if that's what you think. Applied for different course in the department. Been at BoGS 5 weeks now.
Reply 118
You aren't the only one.

I am very anxious for my application as well...I really hope I can get in!

ahh, the wait!:tongue:
Reply 119
Original post by vet4snak
I am very anxious for my application as well...I really hope I can get in!

ahh, the wait!:tongue:

Yea i know, seriously dont know why they take so long. Imperial took 10 days to get back to me, and LSE took 3 weeks. Cambridge is taking forever.........

Quick Reply

Latest