The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3620
Original post by Tsunami2011
Yeah, I'd fit into the former category (provided it didn't harm my prospects too much) I'm slightly worrying about the prospect of the massess of reading to do, and whether I'll be able to actually take in any information (terrible attention span) I just think people underestimate how hard it will be to get into coveted club, probably something which requires dedication through the course of the year! Do you hope to go to the bar? I've always found that rather unappealing and daunting.

I was just about to mention that quote, then I realised you already had, I hear its even more applicable to law students:s-smilie:

I can't imagine that a good 2:1 from somewhere like Warwick will, in itself, hamper your prospects. (especially as you're uninterested in the bar and, I presume, academia). I think adjusting to the workload will be a learning curve for everyone as law is learned from scratch. I'm trying not to think about that - I figure it's easier to make it through this year and deal with that when I get to it. Now that you mention it though, I hope I can engage with the overly dry and dull parts. Although I went to watch some court cases and interestingly I found a more mundane case by some relatively junior barristers more fascinating than a murder trial because the judge really pushed both barristers in the former trial and I could follow the lines of argument. The murder trial was focused more on questioning and evidence which was also interesting but in a different way. So hopefully, the duller cases will be more bearable if approached as a problem/puzzle rather than for actual interest.

No intention of going into the bar although I think I will try to arrange a mini-pupillage as I've met two barristers who really encouraged me to consider it. You're right that it's daunting, also it's not flexible enough for my interests so it is unappealing. I do like the academic bent to it though.

How about you?
Original post by silence18
Does top 3 mean Bristol was third after Cambridge and Oxford?

To be very honest, I'm an international student and I can't quite figure out what that means either...For me, Bristol is still a very reputable university, so I really don't know what the fall in ranking is all about. :s-smilie: Just as confused as you are, I guess.
Original post by AnonCoconut
To be very honest, I'm an international student and I can't quite figure out what that means either...For me, Bristol is still a very reputable university, so I really don't know what the fall in ranking is all about. :s-smilie: Just as confused as you are, I guess.

Are you planning on coming back to Malaysia after you graduate? If yes, then it doesn't really matter much about Bristol's ranking - it is still a reputable uni.
Just got my QM decision for law. I was unsuccessful. A little gutted but I'm in no way bothered. I'd already decided York was for me having spent 18 years in East London - it's time to get out.

UCAS is over! :biggrin:

Time to firm York.

No insurance because I don't want to go to Sussex or Lancaster. So I either get the grade or reapply next year. But getting the grade won't be a problem.
Reply 3624
Posted the other day re. choosing between King's Durham Bristol and Exeter.

I will probably discount King's because I don't really want to live in London..too near home.

My decision for top choice is between Durham and Bristol. I prefer the location and atmosphere of Bristol as a city and surrounding area, but like the collegiate system and reputation of Durham. While Durham's location far north is off-putting, everyone here seems to be saying Bristol's reputation is on the decline.

Here's my dilemma, any thoughts?
Reply 3625
Which is better for law-Bristol or Exeter? Really need help to decide!
Original post by admbeatmaker
Just got my QM decision for law. I was unsuccessful. A little gutted but I'm in no way bothered. I'd already decided York was for me having spent 18 years in East London - it's time to get out.

UCAS is over! :biggrin:

Time to firm York.

No insurance because I don't want to go to Sussex or Lancaster. So I either get the grade or reapply next year. But getting the grade won't be a problem.

Sorry to hear that.
But maybe it's time for nearly everyone here's UCAS to come to an end? haha
I am still waiting for QM and I really want an offer from there!

Anyways, York is not bad and good luck in fulfilling the offer!
Original post by shiv20

Bristol hon. Definitely Bristol.
This is gonna be me this time next year...
My goal is Oxford but my GCSE's aren't great.
9A's 3B's and a D...
Any advice would be handy? :smile:
Reply 3629
Durham or Warwick?

Really don't know which to choose.
Original post by snehame
Durham or Warwick?

Really don't know which to choose.

Probably not worth fussing over. Take a look at the style of the universities, the courses and the surrounding areas for things like clubs, pubs and general things you want to be around.
Reply 3631
Original post by admbeatmaker
Probably not worth fussing over. Take a look at the style of the universities, the courses and the surrounding areas for things like clubs, pubs and general things you want to be around.

Should probably do that, I think I'd be visiting UK end of the month, if I do I definitely will pay a visit to both of them.
Original post by georget1
Posted the other day re. choosing between King's Durham Bristol and Exeter.
etc...
Here's my dilemma, any thoughts?

I would certainly say Durham over Bristol. I would suggest King's as the best but obviously you know all the disadvantages of the location (but there are some advantages!) but you should never go to a uni that you don't want to go to.

Bristol is a very nice city, Nice old uni has a good reputation. I've never been to Durham but its reputation and league table spots are top notch. Sounds a very academic place, people say it is quite small. Also its in the North, dunno if you're up for that... :P Think about your next steps too BPTC? LPC? and where you might do them. Only word of caution about Bristol, as I will repeat below, I have heard people who know things say it is on the decline somewhat. However its reputation will remain strong long after (if) it loses league table places. Visit them both.

Original post by shiv20

I think graduating in 2012, Bristol certainly, but graduating in 2015/16 I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, Exeter is very up-and-coming (I've said this a number of times on TSR) (note recent promotion to Russell Group) From what I've heard Bristol is losing its edge somewhat. Visit both places, not necessarily on an open day. You can get a good feel for Exeter by walking around the campus and although Bristol is set within a city you can do the same kind of thing (Beware hills in both cases!!) You could probably do them both in one day if you live miles away - straight down the M5!
Reply 3633
With Bristol, if you are really bothered about current reputation I'd have a look at the league tables. They aren't definitive but they describe Bristol as a Top 20 Uni for Law at the moment, certainly nowhere near top 5 as someone mentioned on here. But employers will still look upon it as a very reputable institution and should do for a good few years to come. On an employment front, Bristol won't do you any harm right now. I wouldn't say it would give you a major advantage over Exeter though. Just go to the one you like best :smile:
Original post by TempleQC
This is gonna be me this time next year...
My goal is Oxford but my GCSE's aren't great.
9A's 3B's and a D...
Any advice would be handy? :smile:

kid on the first page got into Oxford with A*BBBCCC (something similar..) Username is James something. If you were to get top AS grades i.e 90%+ you've got a better shot at Cambridge.
Original post by Akiraryuu
Are you planning on coming back to Malaysia after you graduate? If yes, then it doesn't really matter much about Bristol's ranking - it is still a reputable uni.

Hi Akirayuu,

I know. :smile: Even in Malaysia it's a very reputable uni, Bristol grads get top jobs and we even have some politicians and big shot corporate leaders who are Bristol law graduates. Precisely why I'm not really concerned about the alleged fall in ranking. XD Where do you go/are going to go? :smile:)
Original post by AnonCoconut
Hi Akirayuu,

I know. :smile: Even in Malaysia it's a very reputable uni, Bristol grads get top jobs and we even have some politicians and big shot corporate leaders who are Bristol law graduates. Precisely why I'm not really concerned about the alleged fall in ranking. XD Where do you go/are going to go? :smile:)

For Malaysian firms, it really doesn't matter which uni you go to (as long as it's in the top 20 excluding Oxbridge, Oxbridge gets priority over anything else). They prefer UK grads than local grads, sad but true - I've spoken to a few partners from small-sized firms and they've confirmed this. :tongue:

I'm heading off to Nottingham, if I get my grades. Hahaha
Original post by Tsunami2011
kid on the first page got into Oxford with A*BBBCCC (something similar..) Username is James something. If you were to get top AS grades i.e 90%+ you've got a better shot at Cambridge.

Thanks for telling me :smile:
Original post by Akiraryuu
For Malaysian firms, it really doesn't matter which uni you go to (as long as it's in the top 20 excluding Oxbridge, Oxbridge gets priority over anything else). They prefer UK grads than local grads, sad but true - I've spoken to a few partners from small-sized firms and they've confirmed this. :tongue:

I'm heading off to Nottingham, if I get my grades. Hahaha

Haha..Malaysia boleh. XD Good on you, go to the uni you like. :biggrin:
Hey people. Just a question. SOAS or Exeter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending