The Student Room Group

Maths PGCE without A Level maths

Im an 1st year undergrad studying BSc Economics, and have just recently been thinking about doing a pgce and teaching after my degree. Ideally I would like to teach maths and economics, but Im wondering what my chances of being accepted on to a maths pgce are without A Level maths?? My degree does have a high level of maths in it and I know if i was accepted on to a pgce I would probably have to do a enhancement course, but still Im really worried that not having maths A level is going to hold me back...

any advice appreciated! :smile:
i know if you take a subject similar to maths you can do a pgce but it would be a 2 year course instead of the usual 1 year course.
Reply 2
contact a pgce provider to check.
Maths A Level is not essential but you can be sure providers will question your commitment to the subject at interview.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Maths A Level is not essential but you can be sure providers will question your commitment to the subject at interview.

Do you know people who got onto maths pgce without it?
Original post by livvyliz
Do you know people who got onto maths pgce without it?

Yes.
Reply 6
My friend is doing a GTP in Maths, she didn't do maths a level. She had to do a week long enhancement course before she started teaching. Hope that helps!
Reply 7
Original post by livvyliz
Im an 1st year undergrad studying BSc Economics, and have just recently been thinking about doing a pgce and teaching after my degree. Ideally I would like to teach maths and economics, but Im wondering what my chances of being accepted on to a maths pgce are without A Level maths?? My degree does have a high level of maths in it and I know if i was accepted on to a pgce I would probably have to do a enhancement course, but still Im really worried that not having maths A level is going to hold me back...

any advice appreciated! :smile:

When you apply the institution will decide whether or not you need to do an enhancement course. If you're doing an economics degree that might be enough. If you do the enhancement course, that's basically like doing the A level stuff, so there's no way you should feel unprepared to teach the subject :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by caf28
When you apply the institution will decide whether or not you need to do an enhancement course. If you're doing an economics degree that might be enough. If you do the enhancement course, that's basically like doing the A level stuff, so there's no way you should feel unprepared to teach the subject :smile:

Ring up the institutions you want to apply too. There is a a fair bit of maths involved on the Economics Course. I am doing Economics at university, and universities i wanted to go too, dont require me to do an enhancement course. However, some universities would like you to do an enhancement course.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending