The Student Room Group

Am I depressed?

For years I have always considered myself as an optimist. However, for the past year or so that has all changed dramatically.

For example, one minute I will be excited about my future and all the positives that may resonate in the future, but the next minute I can burst into tears, scared that I will live my life with no friends and no happinness.

I am going to University in September, and as of yet, I have no friends. I stress myelf out on a daily basis, convincing myself no one will want to be my mate. What if I end up at Uni for 3 years with no friends?

Now, I was wondering if you think I suffer from clinical depression or if its just a form of upset/sadness?

Scroll to see replies

Let me be the first :pierre: ...You can't get diagnosed on TSR. Get checked out by a professional.
(edited 11 years ago)
It sounds like you might be a bit anxious about starting uni rather than depression. It's a massive life event, and you are not the only who's going to start not knowing anyone! Optimism is a good quality, so stay positive and I'm sure you'll meet some decent people.
Reply 4
ur probably just stressed ,uni is big change for anyone so don't wry about not making friend im sure ur a lovely person and u'll find that lots of the other students feel the same as u :smile:
You do just sound stressed, probably if you're doing exams you're just a bit anxious generally.

Can't imagine someone having depression and being able to be excited about things. You seem to have a pretty normal range of emotions going.
Reply 6
You need to see a professional, as no one on here can give you reliable advice if you have depression.

It is worth getting checked out, as having mood swings as you described can be a symptom of depression (so I've read from a few articles). But the doctor would be in more of a position to diagnose you ... NOT ME!

The sooner you see a doctor, the better I think :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by chinaberry
You do just sound stressed, probably if you're doing exams you're just a bit anxious generally.

Can't imagine someone having depression and being able to be excited about things. You seem to have a pretty normal range of emotions going.

Errrr that's actually a common symptom of depression.

OP disregard whatever people say on here, as you will probably get given wrong advice. As in my above post, no one but a doctor can give you a proper diagnosis.
Original post by Hello:D

OP disregard whatever people say on here, as you will probably get given wrong advice. As in my above post, no one but a doctor can give you a proper diagnosis.

It is, but that's just one symptom, and can't be used alone to assign depression!

OP; Stress and anxiety can put a damper on life like depression, if you're experiencing more than just what you've mentioned, then a doctor would be a good shout.
Original post by Anonymous
What if I end up at Uni for 3 years with no friends?

I did that, it's not the end of the world. Sure, it sucks but it's surviveable. :dontknow:

Haha how rude! :smile:

So everyone who's a bit weepy and jumpy around exam/uni time might have mild depression? Don't think so. The OP shouldn't disregard whatever people say- there are many people who have been through various diagnostic processes and assessments and have some very useful advice/experiences to share. The OP's post doesn't sound like depression. You need to have a range of symptoms- up and down moods won't get you taken seriously, anyway.
Reply 11
Haha how rude! :smile:

So everyone who's a bit weepy and jumpy around exam/uni time might have mild depression? Don't think so. The OP shouldn't disregard whatever people say- there are many people who have been through various diagnostic processes and assessments and have some very useful advice/experiences to share. The OP's post doesn't sound like depression. You need to have a range of symptoms- up and down moods won't get you taken seriously, anyway.

:rolleyes: I never said that OP has depression. If you read my post properly I was just correcting you :smile: you said that that you can't imagine someone having depression and being able to get excited about things, when this is a symptom.

I'm just pointing out to OP that one person on this thread is a little bit uninformed (You'll have to guess who it is I'm talking about, and its not me) :wink:

We wouldn't want to give OP the wrong advice, would we? That's why I'm saying that it would be best to see a doctor :smile:
Reply 12
lol
:rolleyes: I never said that OP has depression. If you read my post properly I was just correcting you :smile: you said that that you can't imagine someone having depression and being able to get excited about things, when this is a symptom.

I'm just pointing out to OP that one person on this thread is a little bit uninformed (You'll have to guess who it is I'm talking about, and its not me) :wink:

We wouldn't want to give OP the wrong advice, would we? That's why I'm saying that it would be best to see a doctor :smile:

You're very patronising- so never mind!
Reply 14
I would say give counselling a go.

I can be somewhat like you and then I realised that a lot of it is to do with anxiety. I started going to counselling. It's nice to voice things that you feel as it can be quite relieving, and I've found myself becoming quite good friends with my counsellor (which may slightly help with your problem of sometimes feeling lonely!)

But try not too worry TOO much about it as I think that it's just a phase (although it may feel longer right now) and once you get to University I'm sure you'll be able to meet many people who will lift your spirits dramatically.

What University are you planning on heading to?
Reply 15
You're very patronising- so never mind!

=/ All I was saying is that a doctor would be a suitable to diagnose someone with depression than someone here on TSR, including me.

I apologise if I came across rudely, but all that I was trying to say is that some people do offer false advice on these type of threads quite often, and the OP actually believes them most of the time (when they are wrong).

TSR is not your local GP.
OP- If you wasn't depressed before starting this thread, you certainly are now.
You need to see a professional, as no one on here can give you reliable advice if you have depression.

It is worth getting checked out, as having mood swings as you described can be a symptom of depression (so I've read from a few articles). But the doctor would be in more of a position to diagnose you ... NOT ME!

The sooner you see a doctor, the better I think :smile:

um a psychology student could help?
=/ All I was saying is that a doctor would be a suitable to diagnose someone with depression than someone here on TSR, including me.

I apologise if I came across rudely, but all that I was trying to say is that some people do offer false advice on these type of threads quite often, and the OP actually believes them most of the time (when they are wrong).

TSR is not your local GP.

Sorry :smile: and I take your point, it's not silly to say that.
Obviously don't trust our answers as the truth. However... I'm feeling the same (one minute exited, optimistic, inspired) the next negative, (miserable, feeling a bit dead, just want to sleep, don't want to bother with life etc). I don't think it's depression. Just that going to university is a massive change and we have high expectations while also pretty scared, which is why we're thinking about things a lot that we'd usually disregard because we feel this is finally the time to finally put what once have bothered us slightly into action. At school it's a magical bubble of homework and safety and now we're having to face ourselves. So yeah it's going to be emotional, but I wouldn't label yourself as depressed unless it prevents you from living normally. I don't really think any time we go through a rough time with our mind we should put a sticker of 'depressed' on it. There's depression, and then there's depression.

Quick Reply

Latest