The Student Room Group

Price of a small gap year

I'm recieving 700 poinds after my GCSEs and will continue to save throughout my A-level studies (I dont have a job so it'd probably only go up to a thousand). I'm thinking after my A-levels I could go travelling for about 5 weeks with friends to places to like Fiji or Hawaii, would this suffice financially, or would I need more money? I dont suppose if I wanted to do a full gap year this would be know where near enough?
Would a gap year affect my uni chances?
Thanks
Gap years shouldn't affect uni chances, though you'd want to try to have a place before your gap year.

As for cost, I think tickets to america would cost you at least £500 (return). And it depends what you want to do whilst there... Finding accommodation, food, activities etc for that budget may be difficult.
Reply 2
I don't think £1000 will get you that far. Flights alone will take a huge chunk, if not all of that money. Me and some friends are going interrailing, which you could do on that budget so I recommend looking into that if you want to travel :biggrin:
Reply 3
if ur doing a gap year, dont do it half heartedly. do the whole thing. £1000 will unlikely be enough, id be v surprised if it was.
Reply 4
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I'm recieving 700 poinds after my GCSEs and will continue to save throughout my A-level studies (I dont have a job so it'd probably only go up to a thousand). I'm thinking after my A-levels I could go travelling for about 5 weeks with friends to places to like Fiji or Hawaii, would this suffice financially, or would I need more money? I dont suppose if I wanted to do a full gap year this would be know where near enough?
Would a gap year affect my uni chances?
Thanks

Where has this myth that gap years affect university chances come from? I can assure you that isn't the case.

If you are going to take a year out, as other people have said, you do need to do it properly. Work for 6 months, save every penny you have and then go on a mega, blow out trip. Grown up life after uni is rubbish so you should make the most of your freedom!
Original post by abbyheat
Where has this myth that gap years affect university chances come from? I can assure you that isn't the case.

If you are going to take a year out, as other people have said, you do need to do it properly. Work for 6 months, save every penny you have and then go on a mega, blow out trip. Grown up life after uni is rubbish so you should make the most of your freedom!

I was reading an article in the Guardin a while back, where they had an isider recording an admissions discusion at Cambridge,one of the people said 'I hope he hasn't been sitting on a beach all year, or I'll reject him' (paraphrase).
Reply 6
No, taking a gap year doesn't hinder your uni choices. Having the intiative to take one is valued upon employers and admissions officers if anything. They like it more if you defer first though. Just put a little bit in your personal statement about how you want to take one and for what constructive reasons, that's what I did and I've got places at unis including the one I want to go to (grades providing). Not sure about Oxbridge rules, but I can suspect that they'd also just want you to do something constructive, but to be honest, they're not going to have cameras inspecting your home tutting at the fact you're slumped in front of the sofa and not out doing volunteering or anything. In fact, I know someone who is doing PPE at Cambridge and after he told me he had taken a gap year, and then told me he was 24, looking at my bewildered expression repsonded with, 'Oh, well, you see I was gallivanting around the world for the last half decade and then decided I should probably do something with my life.' I'm sure he didn't tell Cambridge that, but that's the point!

It's great that you've got £1000 to start with, I wish I had that financial backing and I'm on my gap year in 2 months! You'll just have to get a job, in the summer or for a few months in your gap year if you want to see more places. That's how it's done. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I was reading an article in the Guardin a while back, where they had an isider recording an admissions discusion at Cambridge,one of the people said 'I hope he hasn't been sitting on a beach all year, or I'll reject him' (paraphrase).

I can ASSURE you that that isn't the case. I think that 'insider' was talking out of their you know what.
Gap years don't hinder uni chances. Indeed, my uni effectively made me go and have one!

In fact, gap years will positively enhance your chance of getting into uni if you are doing something related to your course (and write about it in your PS!). For instance, if you're applying for medicine, then working as a healthcare assistant will do wonders for your application. If you're applying for politics, then some election campaigning will also have a positive effect. At the very least, you need to do something productive - getting drunk in your hometown for fourteen months isn't going to enhance your application one iota.

However, universities don't expect you to spend all your time doing something excessively worthy - there's still plenty of room for some lazing about on a tropical beach!

Quick Reply

Latest