The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8020
I think a lot of fans will be upset if Kenny goes - just purely because of his status imo. The reason why his future is possibly, and hopefully, being settled in the FA cup final is because of the dreadful league form. We kept on creating chances after chances but no goals - who's to blame for this? players because they are not finishing properly? Dalglish because of his signings/tactics/formation? the Coaching staff?

Other factors to consider in the league is that we are behind Everton, we also lost 3 games in a row twice, Rafa didn't even do that once and neither did Woy, and like the person above me said, likes of Wigan, Fulham, West Brom etc getting their first win at Anfield in so many years. We were supposed to be winning against these sides, but we lost. No longer Fortress anfeild - only 5 wins in the league the whole season. I don't think neither of them was a comfortable win.

It seems that we seem to have fixed slightly our away form from last couple of seasons or so, but we didn't do at home.

I guess if we were 6th, challenging for 5th and hit the woodwork less times and didn't lose/draw as much home games, then maybe I'd have say that Kenny has defo deserved another season despite the outcome of the FA cup.

Going to be some hard thinking for FSG in the summer, even I'm not sure whether or not to keep Kenny. I guess maybe look at his transfer targets and if they are similar to last summer then possibly let him go.
IF ANYONE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT KENNY DALGLISH MEANS TO LIVERPOOL OR WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR US

I thought this BBC montage that was aired before the Carling Cup final did well to show just exactly WHY Liverpool fans don't want to... bite the bullet

[video="youtube;7txac1mprSc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7txac1mprSc[/video]
Reply 8022
We've lost at Anfield 4 times this season. UNder Rafa it was about that much over his time at Liverpool...
Kenny has done amazing, brilliant, magnificent things for Liverpool.

His tactics have been questionable at times, but the problem for me this season is that the players bought haven't repaid the faith he put in them, and probably have buckled under the pressure at LFC.

I don't doubt Kenny's desire, ambition and determination for the club to succeed, I doubt the personnel that he bought/has to get us there.

That said, I can understand if he leaves in the summer, and I wouldn't be too disappointed.
****ing Hell Chelsea will definitely be quaking in their boots, after last night....
Original post by kuks
We've lost at Anfield 4 times this season. UNder Rafa it was about that much over his time at Liverpool...

Aye, Rafa lost 9 times at Anfield in total. Pretty amazing really.
The Chelsea game will be different. Chelsea will be favourites, it's a big pitch and both sides will be cagey but also going for the win.

If anything, I think Chelsea will play on the front foot and we'll play on the counter for most of the game, which will suit us more (if Carroll doesn't start).

We're still pretty solid defensively, and while we can't buy a goal when against 10 men behind the ball, I have more hope for when we hit on the counter. Main issue is that we can't concede first, otherwise we'll lose.

Kenny has some tough choices to make. We finally saw Gerrard play behind Suarez and it was one of his better performances. However, all of the midfield options - Spearing, Henderson, Shelvey were pretty poor yesterday.

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel - should be the defence but imo Carragher will start over one of the CBs (wrongly imo).

Suarez will be upfront, Gerrard will play somewhere in the midfield.

That's 4 other positions up for grabs? Downing will play on one wing most likely. Not sure who the other 3 players should be.
Original post by Zerforax
The Chelsea game will be different. Chelsea will be favourites, it's a big pitch and both sides will be cagey but also going for the win.

If anything, I think Chelsea will play on the front foot and we'll play on the counter for most of the game, which will suit us more (if Carroll doesn't start).

We're still pretty solid defensively, and while we can't buy a goal when against 10 men behind the ball, I have more hope for when we hit on the counter. Main issue is that we can't concede first, otherwise we'll lose.

Kenny has some tough choices to make. We finally saw Gerrard play behind Suarez and it was one of his better performances. However, all of the midfield options - Spearing, Henderson, Shelvey were pretty poor yesterday.

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel - should be the defence but imo Carragher will start over one of the CBs (wrongly imo).

Suarez will be upfront, Gerrard will play somewhere in the midfield.

That's 4 other positions up for grabs? Downing will play on one wing most likely. Not sure who the other 3 players should be.

Watching Fabio last night made me miss his crosses so much.. as you said Cara will probably start, and wrongly imo too. Midfield is a tricky one.. Firstly to Bellamy or not to Bellamy. We could most likely get a full game out of him, but do we want to or would we rather have him as a game changing sub? If the latter is the case then Maxi on instead? Although he played mid-week...

And what about Kuyt? And do you go with Spearing or Shelvey? Or both in CM.. I'm honestly glad I'm not Kenny, as after last nights performance by a half 1st team squadies/rotationers and half reserves, and the season long performances.... argh I don't know :frown:
Reply 8028
Fabio taken off early to play in the final? :awesome:
Reply 8029
I thought Fabio was very very poor tbh.

He's too slow on the ball.
Original post by orionmoo
Watching Fabio last night made me miss his crosses so much.. as you said Cara will probably start, and wrongly imo too. Midfield is a tricky one.. Firstly to Bellamy or not to Bellamy. We could most likely get a full game out of him, but do we want to or would we rather have him as a game changing sub? If the latter is the case then Maxi on instead? Although he played mid-week...

And what about Kuyt? And do you go with Spearing or Shelvey? Or both in CM.. I'm honestly glad I'm not Kenny, as after last nights performance by a half 1st team squadies/rotationers and half reserves, and the season long performances.... argh I don't know :frown:

Aurelio's footballing ability with Enrique's physical attributes would be perfect. Shame the latter is a dunce.

Completely forgot about Bellamy!

................Suarez...........
Bellamy.....Gerrard.........Downing
.........?????....Henderson.........
Enrique...Agger...Carragher..Johnson
................Reina..................

[I only put Carragher there because I expect Kenny to start him, even though I believe it should be Skrtel).

Shame I can't work out who should play ????? in midfield. Spearing and Shelvey were both poor..

Maybe Carroll will start and we'll move to a 4-4-2 or the same as above with Suarez in Gerrard's role?

.................Carroll.............
Bellamy........Suarez.........Downing
.........Gerrard...Henderson........
Original post by L18
I thought Fabio was very very poor tbh.

He's too slow on the ball.

A lot of his crossing was hopeful too. We should've bought back the ginger ninja that is Riise.
Reply 8032
I honestly thought Shelvey was good last night. Yes he misplaced a few passes, but I thought he kept us ticking nicely. A lot of the misplced passes were due to him expecting somebody to be making a run/moving to another area but they didn't. I thought last night it was obvious to see if we had an intelligent, fluid front 3 then Shelvey will excel.
Original post by Stirlo
I honestly thought Shelvey was good last night. Yes he misplaced a few passes, but I thought he kept us ticking nicely. A lot of the misplced passes were due to him expecting somebody to be making a run/moving to another area but they didn't. I thought last night it was obvious to see if we had an intelligent, fluid front 3 then Shelvey will excel.

Shelvey was good in the first half, absolutely woeful in the second half!
Reply 8034
Quite warming to Coates. He's a bit leggy & was caught out of position a couple of times but nothing not to be expected with someone so inexperienced. Looks comfortable with the ball at his feet (although prone to the occassional hoof) and generally his positioning was good as well as tackling + he has a good aerial presence. Will be interesting to see him develop.
A lot of his crossing was hopeful too. We should've bought back the ginger ninja that is Riise.

Don't know how to multi quote coz i'm a noob but this is also to L18.

I thought he was pretty solid considering it was his first game in so long. Don't know why you thought his crossing was hopeful, I remember him putting plenty of balls onto carroll's head. The first one he tried was overcooked but after that they were quite good? Or am I living in an "I love Fabio dreamworld"? :confused::colondollar:

(Just found the multi quite button...right next to the quote button :colonhash::colonhash:)

Cole, Essien, Lampard, Mata, Drogba on the bench tonight for Chelsea, guess we will be facing the Drog instead of Fernando. Losing 1-0 already, Cisse :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
THAT was some goal from Papiss Cisse. Definitely my goal of the season.
Hint of doubt for Chelsea heading into the FA cup final at least

Di Matteo tried out Drogba with Torres and it looked quite dangerous. I don't think he'll go that way though. I think we'll be facing Drogba with Torres coming on late on if they're chasing a goal.
Reply 8037
Original post by lifeshard
THAT was some goal from Papiss Cisse. Definitely my goal of the season.
Hint of doubt for Chelsea heading into the FA cup final at least

Di Matteo tried out Drogba with Torres and it looked quite dangerous. I don't think he'll go that way though. I think we'll be facing Drogba with Torres coming on late on if they're chasing a goal.

4-5-1 for cup games, unless you're confident of scoring at least 2 goals seems to be the standard now. At least our loss to Fulham doesn't look as bad now.

I didn't watch their match, but with Torres playing the whole match and Drogba only part, I'd agree with you.

Cisse's goal was just outrageous, he was missing to the left and it ended up in the right corner XD
Amazed that Chelsea tried to rotate. They won't get 4th place now. Would need to make up a 4 point game in 2 games, and overtake 2 other teams.

Guess RDM is aiming for 2 cups instead. Would love it if we smashed them :biggrin:
Amazed that Chelsea tried to rotate. They won't get 4th place now. Would need to make up a 4 point game in 2 games, and overtake 2 other teams.

Guess RDM is aiming for 2 cups instead. Would love it if we smashed them :biggrin:

Let's hope this is the first of many defeats in May for them.

The problem I have is we've beaten them on the last four occasions that we've met, it feels like fate will have everything swing their way come Saturday to balance it all out.

That is totally going to be my exscuse if we lose come Saturday ^^^

Latest