The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Maths !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by S119234
In hindsight, yes, it's actually a not bad paper. At the time though, it was such a difficult paper to do! (I remember it well), especially considering the SQA moved away from what they would normally put in a paper!

Anyhow, best of luck to all!

thanks again, doing my last minute revision as we speak !:frown:
paper 1 was sooo hard! it must have been a new setter. paper 2 was surprisingly easy considering how difficult paper 1 was. hopefully my paper 2 grade can pull up my paper 1 grade!
Reply 22
Original post by Akinfenwa123
paper 1 was sooo hard! it must have been a new setter. paper 2 was surprisingly easy considering how difficult paper 1 was. hopefully my paper 2 grade can pull up my paper 1 grade!

Paper 1 was sooo bloody hard! :eek: But Paper 2 was extremely easy, so it should be fine :biggrin: How did everyone else find it today? :smile:

Btw does anyone know if you get an overall 1 if you get 2/2 in Paper 1 and 1/1 in Paper 2?
The paper 1 was really hard but paper 2 was easier. My maths teacher thinks the pass marks will be really low this year! what questions did you all find the hardest? :smile:
Reply 24
yeh, i thought 2008 paper 1 was hard but this one was even harder, i dont think i did that bad in it. Probably got a 2 and paper 2 was easy hopefully got a 1
Paper 1 was difficult but to be honest it was only 1 and 2 mark questions which tripped me up.

Paper 2 was a pleasant surprise! :smile:
Original post by mrsnicket
Paper 1 was sooo bloody hard! :eek: But Paper 2 was extremely easy, so it should be fine :biggrin: How did everyone else find it today? :smile:

Btw does anyone know if you get an overall 1 if you get 2/2 in Paper 1 and 1/1 in Paper 2?

It's calculated by adding KU marks from Both papers and RE marks from both papers.

Then you get an overall KU and an overall RE grade :biggrin:
Reply 27
anyone going to upload the paper?
Looking at paper 1, the only ones I didn't get were 6a and 10b.
Reply 29
was 6a the surd one, if it was it got 2 root 11
Reply 30
Original post by humza100
was 6a the surd one, if it was it got 2 root 11

That was the Pythagoras question on the first page and I got it as well :biggrin:
I found paper to be a real b****. I could hardly do any of it, at one point I was almost crying. Paper 2 was much better than paper 1, but the last couple of questions I couldn't do. It's hard to predict what I got, I think I've done enough to get a 2 - but only just.
Reply 32
Please upload the question paper someone - I'll happily solve and upload answers :smile:
Reply 33
Is it true that if you get a 1 in KU and a 2 in ES or vice versa, it gets rounded to an overall 1? cheers:smile:
yeah, you get an overall one!:smile:
Reply 35
Hey, the paper one was definitely a lot harder than any past paper I've done!
I know for the first 3 questions that the answers were :
1. 2.37
2. 6x^3-x^2+13x-10
3. m=lk^2
Original post by nerd434
Is Credit Maths really that hard? I'm doing Intermediate 2 and to be honest (without sounding arrogant) it's actually quite easy..

It seems like there is a lot more sheer problem solving in Standard Grade.. whereas in Intermediate 2, I sort of know what will come up.. just with different values and in a slightly different context..

I sit in with an Int 2 class while I do AH, and I compare their coursework to the stuff I did at Standard Grade. I think Int 2 is easier, there's some stuff that wasn't covered at Int 2 that was in SG, and a lot of the stuff in Int 2 is actually intuitive rather than requiring knowledge. Though I don't think the jump between Int 2 in Standard Grade is that big. Just a wee one.

I'm sure a few of us AHers will be more than happy to help put your minds at ease if any of you got away with the paper.
Reply 37
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I sit in with an Int 2 class while I do AH, and I compare their coursework to the stuff I did at Standard Grade. I think Int 2 is easier, there's some stuff that wasn't covered at Int 2 that was in SG, and a lot of the stuff in Int 2 is actually intuitive rather than requiring knowledge. Though I don't think the jump between Int 2 in Standard Grade is that big. Just a wee one.

I'm sure a few of us AHers will be more than happy to help put your minds at ease if any of you got away with the paper.

That - i have been private tutoring for a couple of years so teach both standard grade and int2. I'd say there is usually more problem solving in SG than in int2. int2 usually gives a diagram and you can work away with it. SG sometimes has code breaking skills which have to be taken as individual questions - can't be taught.
Hoping that it's gone well for you all! :smile:

Was there a Standard Deviation question this year? I remember everyone in my class getting annoyed at being "cheated out of easy marks" last year when it didn't come up! :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nerd434
Does Higher and Advanced Higher carry on the Problem Solving side of Standard Grade or is it more like Intermediate 2 where you learn the content and just apply it to a question?

Higher definitely has a good bit of problem solving in it. The last question in paper 2 is always a problem solving one. I got a nose-bleed in my Higher exam, which lost me time and I got half way through the question before adding "I swear I know what I'm doing here." because I ran out of time. :tongue:

Advanced Higher doesn't really have problem solving stuff, however. I can see JordanR going on to become the new ukd by the time you get to Advanced Higher, so if you want problem solving stuff to play with just to flex your mathematical muscles, he'll be the man to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending