The Student Room Group

Applying for English: Advice from an admissions tutor

Scroll to see replies

Original post by j0ydivision
Hello there, I am an 18 year old A-level student currently studying English Literature (AQA), Maths (Edexcel) and Psychology (OCR)at A2. I've always been a passionate reader and in my teenage years a passionate reader/analyser/absorber of literature (and yes, there is a distinction) After a tumultuous year in 2014 I completely bombed out of my As-levels, attaining EEE grades. So after dropping Chemistry and Biology, I picked up Psychology and this year achieved BBB. After discussing with my subject teacher's, they have agreed to predict me AAB. Now that you basically have my academic autobiography; what would be your advice on approaching an application for an English degree? Which universities don't accept re-sitters? Do I need any work experience? What should I focus on in my personal statement??

I've got my heart set on going to Glasgow, but I'm also considering applying for Edinburgh, Reading, Liverpool and as a safety net Northumbria/Manchester Met. I'd just like to know if I have any chance with any of these universities, so I don't waste one of my choices on them.

Thank you, Charity :smile:

Hi, I'm not sure whether this is too late to be of use and I'm also an applicant so I'm not 100% au fait with admissions procedures, but anyway...

As to choices and applying: look on each University's entry requirements which available on their website to gauge whether you meet their expectations. It's recommended that you have 1 'aspirational' choice, 3 realistic ones and then 1 pessimistic choice so that you have a decent safety net in place.

As to Personal Statements: There are some brilliant examples of Personal Statements in the TSR's 'Applying to Uni' section that were really helpful to me when I was writing my PS. The advice I was given on open days was that your PS should very much be about your journey through literature, talking about works that struck you as being particularly interesting (in both good and bad ways). I was also told to include a range of pieces, both historically as well as in terms of poetry, novels and plays. They also said to steer clear of the very very cliched 'I am passionate about literature...' and 'since I was young...' and 'the power of the written word...' My English teacher said that the main focus of your PS should be on English rather than your extra-curricular activities and whatnot

As to re-sitting the year: I also resat Year 12 due to personal circumstances (I take it that that's what you mean by 'tumultuous year'??) and at every open day I attended, the Universities had no problem with this.My reference just explained why I was repeating the year and affirmed that my life was back on track and I've received offers on this basis.

As to work experience: this isn't at all needed for an English degree

hope this helps :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply