The Student Room Group

Student Finance 2016 / 17 FAQ

Scroll to see replies

I am going to reaaply again for Student finance since I started last year- I'm a continuing student

How do I reaaply? Do I need to fill in all my things again online? Because nothing has changed from last years application.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 201
I am very confused about the application deadlines.

I will be starting at uni in September 2016 - if I apply for a tuition fee loan now, will I still receive it for my first year? or will the application only count towards my second year of uni?

I am a EU applicant, if that changes anything...

Please help! thanks in advance
Original post by A. Guth
I am very confused about the application deadlines.

I will be starting at uni in September 2016 - if I apply for a tuition fee loan now, will I still receive it for my first year? or will the application only count towards my second year of uni?

I am a EU applicant, if that changes anything...

Please help! thanks in advance

You will receive it for your first year but it can take up to 6 weeks to process an application so get the form in soon to be sure your university will get their fees paid in the first term
Hi!!! I have got a question - is that true that a student from the EU cannot apply for a student LOAN for costs of living? Help, help, help, I am aware that my patents cannot afford covering all my costs of living therefore I was preparing a students LOAN application and then I got an e-mail from SAAS that then are not giving aby loans to students from EU. What can I do now??????
Original post by juliettumanowicz
Hi!!! I have got a question - is that true that a student from the EU cannot apply for a student LOAN for costs of living? Help, help, help, I am aware that my patents cannot afford covering all my costs of living therefore I was preparing a students LOAN application and then I got an e-mail from SAAS that then are not giving aby loans to students from EU. What can I do now??????

An EU student is only eligible to apply for a living costs loan if they've lived in the uk for 5 years.

Does your home country not offer living cost support for you?
Reply 205
Original post by PQ
You will receive it for your first year but it can take up to 6 weeks to process an application so get the form in soon to be sure your university will get their fees paid in the first term

Thank you! One last question, when filling in what university I will be attending I put my first choice. On results day, is it possible to alter the application to enter my insurance choice if I don't make the grades?
Original post by A. Guth
Thank you! One last question, when filling in what university I will be attending I put my first choice. On results day, is it possible to alter the application to enter my insurance choice if I don't make the grades?

Yes it's easy to change the university or course - loads of people do this every year
Original post by PQ
An EU student is only eligible to apply for a living costs loan if they've lived in the uk for 5 years.

Does your home country not offer living cost support for you?

Well, in my home country (Poland) you have to study in Poland and your family income per person should be lower than 2300 PLN which is about 400£ per month. I live only with my Mum and she earns more than that so I am not eligile for any help. Anyway, the amount of money she earns is not enough to cover all my living costs in Scotland. Our wages and prices in general are much more smaller than yours in the UK
So at the University of Manchester, the tuition fee is reduced to £1,800 if you work abroad for a full year. Their website says that I can still take out the full £9000 loan. If I don't use all of the loan, do I still have to pay back £9000?

Really confused:s-smilie:
Original post by Shaks.smxth
So at the University of Manchester, the tuition fee is reduced to £1,800 if you work abroad for a full year. Their website says that I can still take out the full £9000 loan. If I don't use all of the loan, do I still have to pay back £9000?

Really confused:s-smilie:

You'll only pay back what you used, plus interest of course.
How does getting married affect student finance?
Are there accommodation loans or would we have to pay that ourselves?
Original post by galroper
How does getting married affect student finance?
Are there accommodation loans or would we have to pay that ourselves?

If you get married, you're classed as independent, regardless of age. Your maintenance loan is for your accommodation.
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you get married, you're classed as independent, regardless of age. Your maintenance loan is for your accommodation.

Okay, thank you!
I thought maintenance loan is living costs e.g. food, essentials ect. So it's accomadation too?
Original post by galroper
Okay, thank you!
I thought maintenance loan is living costs e.g. food, essentials ect. So it's accomadation too?

Yes. You can apply for two loans - tuition which goes straight to uni and isn't based on income, and maintenance. Maintenance is paid directly to you and goes on whatever you want / need.
Reply 214
Hi

I have been asked to send evidence that I have lived in the UK for the last 5 years. I have bank statements which I can send but on the form accompanying it, it says you need address history for five years before the first day of the first academic year of your course. Does this mean I need to wait until nearer the start of my course so that I have bank statements from the next few months also, or can I send the ones I have now and they won't demand additional evidence for the next few months until my course starts?

Also, it asks for the date you lived at each address (from DDMMYYYY to DDMMYYYY). if I plan to keep living at my current address, what do I write in the 'to' section- the start date of my course or what? One last thing- I have lived at one address since several years before the five year period before my course starts. Do I write when I moved here or the start of the period?

Thanks!
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the process of applying to universities in the UK for a postgraduate degree. I've just submitted my application for a postgraduate student loan to student finance and now I'm asked to quote the National Insurance number on my student finance application. Here's my situation- I'm an EU citizen (Cypriot, to be precise) and I've never worked or lived in the UK, therefore I've never applied for a NI number.

My question is- is it necessary to apply by contacting the National Insurance number application line in order to complete my application or is it possible to apply for one once I enter the UK? Will the latter jeopardise my application for a student loan?

Any information regarding my request is fully appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
Hello there, my partner is an EU national that was planning to move here in August to start a university course. She has never lived in the UK and as a result is very concerned about the current state of affairs with regards to the EU. She applied to SLC for tuition fees a few months ago and has heard nothing since, I assumed that this was because a late EU application would take a long time to process but she recently spoke to someone in her country that said his finance has been suspended in the wake of the referendum. Whilst I have been unable to find anything corroborating this, is there a problem for EU nationals applying for finance now or is a long wait time just par for the course?
Thank you.
Original post by StephenTH
Hello there, my partner is an EU national that was planning to move here in August to start a university course. She has never lived in the UK and as a result is very concerned about the current state of affairs with regards to the EU. She applied to SLC for tuition fees a few months ago and has heard nothing since, I assumed that this was because a late EU application would take a long time to process but she recently spoke to someone in her country that said his finance has been suspended in the wake of the referendum. Whilst I have been unable to find anything corroborating this, is there a problem for EU nationals applying for finance now or is a long wait time just par for the course?
Thank you.

I've not heard any differently. SFE do try to get your application done within 6 weeks. However, it can sometimes take longer.
Hi all.
Im an EU national, Cypriot.

Starting MEng Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial (undergrad, 4 years).
2 quesions:
Will I receive a tuition fee loan for all 4 years or only 3 (as if it were a bachelor) ?
Saw online that to be able to be eligible for a loan you need to have lived 3 years in the EEA prior to course start blah blah and your reason should not have been to receive full time education.
Does school count as "full time education"?
Will be sad to get a rejection considering that I grew up here. I did state as a reason for living here that I was going to school...

Thanks
Original post by RussianHotdog
Hi all.
Im an EU national, Cypriot.

Starting MEng Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial (undergrad, 4 years).
2 quesions:
Will I receive a tuition fee loan for all 4 years or only 3 (as if it were a bachelor) ?

You get funding for all years

Saw online that to be able to be eligible for a loan you need to have lived 3 years in the EEA prior to course start blah blah and your reason should not have been to receive full time education.
Does school count as "full time education"?
Will be sad to get a rejection considering that I grew up here. I did state as a reason for living here that I was going to school...

Thanks

School is full time education. But it's different if you came over here at 18 went to college for 3 years and applied for uni at 21, rather than your parents came over here for work when you were a child, which you obviously had no say in.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending