The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by rylit91
Question's in the title.

You do know that the omega oils are a fad, right?

Just eat properly, and exercise, and you'll be fine. If you feel the need to rely on supplements, there's something wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Tootles
You do know that the omega oils are a fad, right?

Just eat properly, and exercise, and you'll be fine. If you feel the need to rely on supplements, there's something wrong.

I absolutely abhor fish so I don't get any Omega etc. I don't eat much of the other sources either so it's necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by rylit91
I absolutely abhor fish so I don't get any Omega etc. I don't eat much of the other sources either so it's necessary.

Doesn't matter; omega is still a fad. They don't actually do anything, the belief that they do is a marketing ploy my the health-food brands: another example of how gullible people are.
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
Doesn't matter; omega is still a fad. They don't actually do anything, the belief that they do is a marketing ploy my the health-food brands: another example of how gullible people are.

But the fact they are present in foods and are linked to certain aspects of health suggests they are useful to eat. That's similar to saying vitamins are a fad; that they don't do anything.
Reply 5
Original post by rylit91
But the fact they are present in foods and are linked to certain aspects of health suggests they are useful to eat. That's similar to saying vitamins are a fad; that they don't do anything.

Okay, whatever you want. You aren't going to listen, and you obviously don't intend to eat properly, so I'm just going to stop posting here.
Reply 6
FIGHT! Eat some tuna.
Reply 7
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

Good link for information on Omega 3, there's a lot information about other supplements there too (with the research to back them up, or debunk them.)
Reply 8
You actually don't need to supplement with Omega 6 or Omega 9. You get enough of it already. In fact, more than enough of it. The problem is with the Omega 3. The ideal Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio is thought to 2:1 or 1:1 even. But, because most modern processed foods contain fats that are very high in Omega 6, eg. soybean oil, sunflower oil etc., our ratios are out of whack and are as high as 10 to 1 and even 20 to 1.

Only supplement with Omega 3. Make sure it's from wild caught fish. It usually pays to spend a bit more in this case because Omega 3 can break down and oxidize very quickly, and in fact can be more detrimental in this case. Nordic Naturals is a good brand. I am not sure if you can get it where you are, or you can order it online.

The other thing you can do, instead of supplementing is to reduce your Omega 6 consumption. Most packaged and industrially made foods contain loads of it. If you can cook your own meals, use something like Extra Virgin Olive Oil to do so.
Reply 9
Original post by ManAbout
You actually don't need to supplement with Omega 6 or Omega 9. You get enough of it already. In fact, more than enough of it. The problem is with the Omega 3. The ideal Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio is thought to 2:1 or 1:1 even. But, because most modern processed foods contain fats that are very high in Omega 6, eg. soybean oil, sunflower oil etc., our ratios are out of whack and are as high as 10 to 1 and even 20 to 1.

Only supplement with Omega 3. Make sure it's from wild caught fish. It usually pays to spend a bit more in this case because Omega 3 can break down and oxidize very quickly, and in fact can be more detrimental in this case. Nordic Naturals is a good brand. I am not sure if you can get it where you are, or you can order it online.

The other thing you can do, instead of supplementing is to reduce your Omega 6 consumption. Most packaged and industrially made foods contain loads of it. If you can cook your own meals, use something like Extra Virgin Olive Oil to do so.

What he said. It's not the amount of all of them it's the ratio.
Reply 10
I agree its a fad, they release a new nutrient you need every so often.

if you really need it, look at chia seeds, they are much better than fish oil,
Reply 11
Original post by Wildersfan
I agree its a fad, they release a new nutrient you need every so often.

if you really need it, look at chia seeds, they are much better than fish oil,

Whilst I agree that health has become a trend, so to speak, and that there's a new cancer-fighting, anti-ageing, life-prolonging vitamin every other week, I don't categorise Omega Oils in these.
Reply 12
Using it externally on your skin, may yield the best results,
things like using rosehip oil and emu oil on your face, which are high in omegas.

But as a supplement, It might make a little bit of difference.

Krill oil is the best omega 3, from an animal
Hemp oil and chia oil are the best vegan sources, but contain a different type of it.
most fish actually contains very little omega 3, even wild caught.
and farmed fish contains more omega 6 than 3 because it is fed corn and other rubbish to keep costs down, and most fish is contaminated

Latest