The Student Room Group

Was Malcolm X a racist ?

Scroll to see replies

Basically, yes. Buuuut at the same time you can't blame him.
Reply 2
I read his autobiography a long time ago, so correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he abandon all the racism/anti-white rhetoric after he left the Nation of Islam?
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
I read his autobiography a long time ago, so correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he abandon all the racism/anti-white rhetoric after he left the Nation of Islam?

Yes. thats the significance of his story. He abandoned it all for an ideology of equality. He openly admitted he was once a racist but that he had abandoned those ways. So good on him.
Erm no he wasn't actually. His views whilst controversial echoed those of the NOI and Elijah Muhammad. He didn't publicly deride the white race or encourage violence against them. This is often a common misconception by people who have never bothered to research Malcolm X, read his book or basically just so blinded by their own ignorance.

Usually it's the same people who admire Winston Churchill who was well documented to be a racist given his views on immigration, Indians, Kurds, Africans and Gandhi.

Malcolm X did encourage separation of the races not because he viewed one race as superior to the other. His opinion (at the time) was that if two races couldn't respect each other and live side by side as equals, it would be better to separate and have their institutions etc. His encouragement of using "By Any Means Necessary" didn't mean go out and relentlessly attack the White Race, he basically encouraged his followers to stand up for their rights if ever they were attacked, much like if you were attacked in the stree you'd want to defend yourself.

Malcolm X when he left the NOI did admit that some of the views he expressed could have been perceived as racist but that he himself did not subscribe to any of the policies of racism and publicly apologised for any offence caused. It was for this reason he went onto form the OAAU and subsequently was assassinated by members of the NOI as he was seen as a traitor.

So basically some of his views may have been perceived as racist but that was when he was influenced by the NOI and if any of you bothered to research Malcolm X you'll now he pro-actively sought to change that upon leaving the NOI. But I'm guessing you never read the book or seen the movie by Spike Lee right?

Also you can't call Malcolm X a racist and salute Churchill as a hero. As a Brit it pains me to say this but Churchill an obnoxious, racist pig. By most standards, Churchill wouldn't have been fit to lick Malcolm X's ***
Original post by lonely14
Yeah ?

Idiot.
Reply 6
Original post by Warrior King
Idiot.

Cheers for that.
Cheers for that.

LOL you're a wannabe medic too. Jeez if you're quick to make a point about a subject area without researching first then perhaps you should quit whilst you're ahead. Then again I stress the WANNABE bit.
Reply 8
Well you seem to like your one liners and demonstrated you know absolutely nothing about the subject so why don't you bugger off back to your japanese anime?

I do know quite a lot, thanks.

Its 3 am in the morning and I just couldn't be bothered.
I do know quite a lot, thanks.

Its 3 am in the morning and I just couldn't be bothered.

Yeah I bet you do. Another pathetic moronic sheep ready to jump on the ignorance bandwagon. The medical profession is doomed (assuming you get that far and judging by your intelligence, we needn't worry). :wink:
Reply 10
LOL you're a wannabe medic too. Jeez if you're quick to make a point about a subject area without researching first then perhaps you should quit whilst you're ahead. Then again I stress the WANNABE bit.

I say you've an angry soul for a medic, TBH.

I shudder to think about your patients :cool:.
I say you've an angry soul for a medic, TBH.

I shudder to think about your patients :cool:.

And I'd say you're too racist and ignorant to be considered a human being. And least I'll be in a position to treat patients. No doubt you're just some snotty nosed punk at college who thinks he's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Never mind :wink:
Reply 12
And I'd say you're too racist and ignorant to be considered a human being. And least I'll be in a position to treat patients. No doubt you're just some snotty nosed punk at college who thinks he's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Never mind :wink:

Why are you throwing insults on me? You don't even know me.

There I ignore whatever crap you have written about me.

Goodbye Sir.
Why are you throwing insults on me? You don't even know me.

There I ignore whatever crap you have written about me.

Goodbye Sir.

Because you're ignorant.

Goodnight to you.
Reply 14
Malcolm X did encourage separation of the races not because he viewed one race as superior to the other. His opinion (at the time) was that if two races couldn't respect each other and live side by side as equals, it would be better to separate and have their institutions etc. His encouragement of using "By Any Means Necessary" didn't mean go out and relentlessly attack the White Race, he basically encouraged his followers to stand up for their rights if ever they were attacked, much like if you were attacked in the stree you'd want to defend yourself.

That's pretty racist really.
Original post by L i b
That's pretty racist really.

And I'm guessing Churchill's views on race etc were very liberal and tolerant weren't they? I quite rightly remember Thatcher not having such great views on immigrants, her support of apartheid South Africa and labelling Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Yes because Mandela sent young soldiers thousands of miles away only to return home in bodybags right? Oh and how can we forget Enoch Powell and his legendary Rivers of Blood Speech?

In Smethick in Birmingham in the 1965 election wasn't Conservatives tagline "If you want a n*****r for your neighbour then vote for Labour" ? I remember remember reading Malcolm X visiting the area at that time to campaign against it.

A bit rich for the Conservatives to accuse anyone of being racist or even accuse anybody of anything given the number of fals promises they seem to be making. Hopefully the Con-Dem coalition is only here for the one term.
Yeah but not as racist as Al sharpton lol.
Reply 18
And I'm guessing Churchill's views on race etc were very liberal and tolerant weren't they? I quite rightly remember Thatcher not having such great views on immigrants, her support of apartheid South Africa and labelling Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Yes because Mandela sent young soldiers thousands of miles away only to return home in bodybags right? Oh and how can we forget Enoch Powell and his legendary Rivers of Blood Speech?

I don't give a **** about Churchill - I think he was a prat. As for Margaret Thatcher, I'm afraid you're lying there - she never supported apartheid, she actively opposed it. As to Enoch Powell, again, so what? He passed on racist opinions, and was rightly ostracised for it.

Malcolm X, however, if indeed he supported racial segregation, was a racist. Indeed, you seem to be the one defending racial apartheid here.

In Smethick in Birmingham in the 1965 election wasn't Conservatives tagline "If you want a n*****r for your neighbour then vote for Labour" ?

No, it had nothing to do with the Conservatives. Whilst many sources online lie outright about this, reliable ones simply state - at worst - that the candidate failed to condemn that phrase.

A bit rich for the Conservatives to accuse anyone of being racist or even accuse anybody of anything given the number of fals promises they seem to be making. Hopefully the Con-Dem coalition is only here for the one term.

Frankly I'm not interested in your jejune political commentary.
Original post by L i b
I don't give a **** about Churchill - I think he was a prat. As for Margaret Thatcher, I'm afraid you're lying there - she never supported apartheid, she actively opposed it. As to Enoch Powell, again, so what? He passed on racist opinions, and was rightly ostracised for it.

Malcolm X, however, if indeed he supported racial segregation, was a racist. Indeed, you seem to be the one defending racial apartheid here.

No, it had nothing to do with the Conservatives. Whilst many sources online lie outright about this, reliable ones simply state - at worst - that the candidate failed to condemn that phrase.

Frankly I'm not interested in your jejune political commentary.

Do you actually know anything about Malcolm X? If you did you'd know he wasn't a racist and that his views were influenced by the NOI and in any case he abandoned those views once he left the NOI. Or do the sources you read from not go that far?

So basically in your eyes Churchill, Powell and Thatcher were prats? Sums up the Conservatives really; racist old farts who belong in the dark ages and only got into power because Gordon Brown effed up big time. You can scrub your nails but we can still see the dirt.

Latest