The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yahyahyahs
Every course at HKU teaches in English. They make a big deal of the English part.

I called then to apply for the medicine MBBS course and they said that a good knowledge of Cantonese is required.
Original post by shimamura
would you recommend HKUST then?

Really depends on which subject you are applying for! If it is Business related, HKUST should be a better choice. In Hong Kong, there are the top 3 universities, HKU, CUHK and HKUST and they are equally reputable in the eyes of students and employers. You won't go wrong if you choose any of these 3 but then you need to ask yourself if you really want to study in HK or UK...
Original post by TheMJCG
I called then to apply for the medicine MBBS course and they said that a good knowledge of Cantonese is required.

Why do they state that every course is in English? When I asked family friends, they said they were taught in English. Well the Cantonese is understandable, I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yahyahyahs
Why do they state that every course is in English? When I asked family friends, they said they were taught in English. Well the Cantonese is understandable, I suppose.

I am sure all subjects are taught in English in HKU except for degree courses related to Chinese Literature/ Language.
Internationally, HKU is generally more reputable than HKUST, but if you plan to stay and work in Hong Kong after your degree it might be worth considering HKUST as local employers do recognise that HKUST's business and economics programs are as good as, if not better than HKU's.

You DON'T need to know Chinese for HKU unless you are signing up for Chinese or Medicine.
Original post by cherrycharm
I am sure all subjects are taught in English in HKU except for degree courses related to Chinese Literature/ Language.

I checked the website again, because I was hoping to go abroad in my second or third year, and it states that the Social Sciences is in English.
economics. I also love chinese culture so I think it would be good for overloading on that.

It's very difficult course, apparently mainlanders go for business and economics so the standard is very high.

Well done getting an offer for that.
Reply 27
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
It's very difficult course, apparently mainlanders go for business and economics so the standard is very high.

Well done getting an offer for that.

How difficult? Difficult to get in or difficult to do?

Thanks very much btw
How difficult? Difficult to get in or difficult to do?

Thanks very much btw

Both, even though I was actually referring to course difficulty. :tongue:
Reply 29
Does HKUST do economics?

Yes they do, but (well I'm not sure) you apply for the "general" business stream first then you declare your major in the 2nd yr. Whether you can get Economics or not depends on the grades you attain in your 1st yr
Reply 30
would you recommend HKUST then?

Actually HKU, CUHK, HKUST are all great schools, so getting in or going into either one of them is an accomplishment. To decide on which school you want to attend; I think you will have to weigh various factors, for example: UST has a great campus. It is in a more quiet area, but it helps you get a sort of "campus" life, while HKU is near the city (CBD) but it will be noiser, yet shopping will be a lot easier. So I guess it really depends on what sort of lifestyle you're looking for and also what subject you're looking at......
Reply 31
Original post by TheMJCG

i would imagine that is because medicine involves patient interaction
Original post by TheMJCG

That's because you need to make lots of contact with patients as part of the course; who will probably speak Cantonese.

Sounds like a great opportunity - if you think you'd be happy there then go for it!
ogod Im dying to study in HKU (not clever enough tho)
Reply 34
Are you not going to try anyway? =) I'm just going through the application process for 2012 entry
Reply 35
I've applied there for 2012 entry! I chose Medicine as my top choice and Biomedical Sciences as my second choice. Fingers crossed!! :smile:
Original post by 21Grapes
Are you not going to try anyway? =) I'm just going through the application process for 2012 entry

tbh they need at least AAA for law and I have zero confidence in getting an offer:frown:
Original post by ExplorerMF
I've applied there for 2012 entry! I chose Medicine as my top choice and Biomedical Sciences as my second choice. Fingers crossed!! :smile:

u must be the kind of students that get A*A*A*A*AA haaahaaaaa:tongue:
good luck with your app
Reply 38
Original post by ray_charlene
u must be the kind of students that get A*A*A*A*AA haaahaaaaa:tongue:
good luck with your app

Haha, I'm not THAT smart! :tongue: That's pretty close though! Just replace the last two A's with B's.....lol!

Are you still applying?? You should at least try! :biggrin:
Original post by explorermf
haha, i'm not that smart! :tongue: that's pretty close though! Just replace the last two a's with b's.....lol!

Are you still applying?? You should at least try! :d

lol i knew it!!!!!
:d:d:d:d:d

Quick Reply

Latest