The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
My flat has three girls who are really close and think they're ~in charge or whatever, so my group basically consists of the people they didn't want to live with. Which I'm fine with, because I didn't really want to live with them. :biggrin:

Yeah, we have a group of 6 or 7 people that know they want to live together, but they weren't my option anyway. It's gonna be more complicated with us because we are friends with the people from the floor above as well and there are lots of us (like 30). It's gonna be weird(ish). We'll have to discuss it at some point anyway, hopefully it will end up well. :tongue:
University of York
York
Reviving the thread to ask how everyone's first term was? Just curious as to whether everybody recovered from that weird first-week depression we all seemed to get (especially me, I know).

I'm genuinely excited about going back to York. :biggrin:
Reviving the thread to ask how everyone's first term was? Just curious as to whether everybody recovered from that weird first-week depression we all seemed to get (especially me, I know).

My first term was...mixed :tongue: I love my course, I've met some lovely people, but I've met some not so lovely people too and I've been ill with chest infections/clinical depression for most of the term. Now, just when I thought I was on the mend, I have tonsilitis :frown: On the whole, though, I love York :biggrin:

First term - probably classify the first 8 weeks as pretty bad, but in the last 2 weeks i decided not to give a **** and had loads of fun.

excited to go back to see my flatmates but unexcited cos the course is really not great!
Original post by hannah9000
First term - probably classify the first 8 weeks as pretty bad, but in the last 2 weeks i decided not to give a **** and had loads of fun.

excited to go back to see my flatmates but unexcited cos the course is really not great!

Are you doing Econ, by any chance?
Original post by TruckBear
Are you doing Econ, by any chance?

That would be correct. Maybe should've believed some of the rumours before i started
That would be correct. Maybe should've believed some of the rumours before i started

Economics is badly taught across the country. I know lots of people doing Economics at undergrad - the proportion of them that hate it is large. You still have the opportunity to change course. If you really do dislike it, I'd think seriously about doing so.

Really? I'm doing Econ and Econometrics but think its quite good. The history ones are fun just the Econ 1 no one turns up to thats the bad one. That and Maths 1 with Zaifu Yang.

On the whole some of my flatmates are dicks but I've met more really nice people to live with next year.
Original post by LostHorizons
My first term was...mixed :tongue: I love my course, I've met some lovely people, but I've met some not so lovely people too and I've been ill with chest infections/clinical depression for most of the term. Now, just when I thought I was on the mend, I have tonsilitis :frown: On the whole, though, I love York :biggrin:

This sounds...rather a lot like my experience, to be honest. I'm really starting to like my course, and I've met some really lovely people (and a few genuinely nasty ones who acted like friends and then managed to screw me over spectacularly without me noticing, but the less said about that the better). On the downside I've been ill with various things for most of the term and my exams weren't exactly a success, but hey.

Well, at least your term got better towards the end. :smile: Mine wasn't great at first but then at some point in about November it got better and I had a really good last month/month and a half. ...this term's started terribly, but I'll give it time.
This sounds...rather a lot like my experience, to be honest. I'm really starting to like my course, and I've met some really lovely people (and a few genuinely nasty ones who acted like friends and then managed to screw me over spectacularly without me noticing, but the less said about that the better). On the downside I've been ill with various things for most of the term and my exams weren't exactly a success, but hey.

Well, at least your term got better towards the end. :smile: Mine wasn't great at first but then at some point in about November it got better and I had a really good last month/month and a half. ...this term's started terribly, but I'll give it time.

having a chest infection and sinusitus for weeks 3 and 4 last term really ruined the whole thing, because all my friends i had made had basically moved on since i'd only known them a week and then i just felt ****, but it's a new term and hopefully might actually make some course friends!!
i hope we all have a b etter term :smile: and good luck house hunting (gahhh)
Original post by TruckBear
Economics is badly taught across the country. I know lots of people doing Economics at undergrad - the proportion of them that hate it is large. You still have the opportunity to change course. If you really do dislike it, I'd think seriously about doing so.

yeah i'm gonna look into changing. it isn't just the teaching, it is the whole economics VIBE haha. mainly the obsession with investment banking, i want to get a tattoo on my forehead that i don't want to work at an investment bank!!

Original post by Prepare-Yourself
Really? I'm doing Econ and Econometrics but think its quite good. The history ones are fun just the Econ 1 no one turns up to thats the bad one. That and Maths 1 with Zaifu Yang.

On the whole some of my flatmates are dicks but I've met more really nice people to live with next year.

luckily i loove my flatmates, i just wish that more people doing economics were more up for a chat!
yeah i'm gonna look into changing. it isn't just the teaching, it is the whole economics VIBE haha. mainly the obsession with investment banking, i want to get a tattoo on my forehead that i don't want to work at an investment bank!!

luckily i loove my flatmates, i just wish that more people doing economics were more up for a chat!

Admittedly alot of the people doing Eco I've met are a bit stuck up IB wannabes, but there are some up for a chat, just a matter of finding the right people.:smile:
having a chest infection and sinusitus for weeks 3 and 4 last term really ruined the whole thing, because all my friends i had made had basically moved on since i'd only known them a week and then i just felt ****, but it's a new term and hopefully might actually make some course friends!!
i hope we all have a b etter term :smile: and good luck house hunting (gahhh)

Yeah, I was kind of ill with various things for most of the term which really really didn't help, but yeah. Good luck with making course friends!

I really hope we all have a good term :biggrin: it's started terribly for me, but hopefully it'll get better. Hmm.

DON'T TALK ABOUT HOUSE HUNTING IT'S ALL A DISASTER
:tongue: but yes, good luck!
Yeah, I was kind of ill with various things for most of the term which really really didn't help, but yeah. Good luck with making course friends!

I really hope we all have a good term :biggrin: it's started terribly for me, but hopefully it'll get better. Hmm.

DON'T TALK ABOUT HOUSE HUNTING IT'S ALL A DISASTER
:tongue: but yes, good luck!

I have all of two housemates now :biggrin: not sure if a 3 person house would be a bit cramped though, but we'll see.

Sorry if I was weird and terrifying yesterday, I was super drunk :redface:
I have all of two housemates now :biggrin: not sure if a 3 person house would be a bit cramped though, but we'll see.

Sorry if I was weird and terrifying yesterday, I was super drunk :redface:

Yeah, that might be a bit much :tongue: I'd say three is closer to the 'recommended amount' or whatever than my spectacular ONE other housemate who I suspect will change his mind about living with me, so you're doing well. Seriously, searching for a cheap-ish one/two bedroom house that isn't actually on the other side of York is ridiculous.

You were fine! I was more drunk than I should have been considering that I wasn't meant to be drinking at all - I wish I could say that I'm not normally that odd, but that's simply not true. :biggrin:
Yeah, that might be a bit much :tongue: I'd say three is closer to the 'recommended amount' or whatever than my spectacular ONE other housemate who I suspect will change his mind about living with me, so you're doing well. Seriously, searching for a cheap-ish one/two bedroom house that isn't actually on the other side of York is ridiculous.

You were fine! I was more drunk than I should have been considering that I wasn't meant to be drinking at all - I wish I could say that I'm not normally that odd, but that's simply not true. :biggrin:

Mm, I looked at 2 bedroom houses thinking about just living with my boyfriend, but they're so expensive :s-smilie: the cheapest are like 85 pounds a week, ugh. Have you looked at renting out an individual room within a house?
Mm, I looked at 2 bedroom houses thinking about just living with my boyfriend, but they're so expensive :s-smilie: the cheapest are like 85 pounds a week, ugh. Have you looked at renting out an individual room within a house?

They're incredibly expensive for some reason :confused: I'd thought about it, but I don't know if they'd want a couple rather than just a person. Hmm.

I think maybe I'll just go to these 'find a housemate' events and try to find someone lonely who can get a three-bedroom house with us. Not ideal, but yeah.

Maybe there'll be something better on the university housing list, but I doubt it.
They're incredibly expensive for some reason :confused: I'd thought about it, but I don't know if they'd want a couple rather than just a person. Hmm.

I think maybe I'll just go to these 'find a housemate' events and try to find someone lonely who can get a three-bedroom house with us. Not ideal, but yeah.

Maybe there'll be something better on the university housing list, but I doubt it.

Ah, that's a shame :frown: my boyfriend (feel weird constantly saying that, but I hate giving names on TSR :tongue:) got a single room in a 4 bedroom house this year for a decent price, and ended up living with 2 of his good friends, but I dunno how common things like that are.

I think I'd probably be happy enough in a 3 bedroom house since the two people I'd be living with are both really nice, but I guess it might make bills a bit cheaper if there were more people, which'd be nice :dontknow:
Ah, that's a shame :frown: my boyfriend (feel weird constantly saying that, but I hate giving names on TSR :tongue:) got a single room in a 4 bedroom house this year for a decent price, and ended up living with 2 of his good friends, but I dunno how common things like that are.

I think I'd probably be happy enough in a 3 bedroom house since the two people I'd be living with are both really nice, but I guess it might make bills a bit cheaper if there were more people, which'd be nice :dontknow:

Haha yeah, I hate giving names on the Internet too which is bizarre considering that my actual first name is in my username and also that it'd be really really easy for anyone to work out who I am if they wanted to :biggrin: I'd assume it's more common for people to end up living with a few of their flatmates for lack of a better idea, but it's nice when people who actually like each other end up living together.

Yeah, I'd be happy with three, I think. It seems that the whole more people = less rent thing is only true up to a point - the huge 8-person houses are like Β£90 a week, I think. :smile:

It just annoys me that most of the people I know already have this sorted out :confused: Also, I'm gonna hate not living on campus and therefore not being able to wander across to the vending machine at 2AM. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha yeah, I hate giving names on the Internet too which is bizarre considering that my actual first name is in my username and also that it'd be really really easy for anyone to work out who I am if they wanted to :biggrin: I'd assume it's more common for people to end up living with a few of their flatmates for lack of a better idea, but it's nice when people who actually like each other end up living together.

Yeah, I'd be happy with three, I think. It seems that the whole more people = less rent thing is only true up to a point - the huge 8-person houses are like Β£90 a week, I think. :smile:

It just annoys me that most of the people I know already have this sorted out :confused: Also, I'm gonna hate not living on campus and therefore not being able to wander across to the vending machine at 2AM. :frown:

Given that my flatmates have decided to have a party in the room next door to me tonight, again, which is still going strong now, I'm pretty sure I don't want to live with them :mad: I'd like to live with a couple of people on the other side of the flat, but not others, and they're all getting a house together so ugh. I think boyfriend and other friend will be good housemates, since I get on with both very well and they're both quiet and nice in general :biggrin: there's another girl I might be living with, but she's applying for a year abroad and I don't know when she'll hear back. I don't want to wait for her and then find out all the decent houses are gone :s-smilie:

The vending machine near us is a LIFESAVER and slowly bankrupted me throughout last term :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest