The Student Room Group

Edexcel French AS Exam - 18th Jan 2012

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a thread for this exam but haven't found one so I thought I'd start one...
How are you guys revising?
I'm so nervous, French is gonna be tough!
Our teacher hasn't taught us very well and I haven't even started revising for this because I've been focusing on my other exams

Hoping to find some people who are doing this exam too to share revision tips and resources!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Guessing no one's doing this exam...
:frown:
Reply 2
Well I am but with AQA. Good Luck !
Reply 3
Original post by TWYears
Well I am but with AQA. Good Luck !

Ahh okay, thankyou goodluck to you too! :smile:
Reply 4
omg i'm doing it too and im also in your situation!
i know my weakest is listening so i got the CDs from my teacher and just been listening to them really.
Reply 5
Original post by RebeccaRat
omg i'm doing it too and im also in your situation!
i know my weakest is listening so i got the CDs from my teacher and just been listening to them really.

Ahhh finally I find someone!
Oh that's good, my teacher gave me a few past papers today and I'm doing them...finally!
I've just been too focused on my other exams, so worried about this one though!
Can't believe it...only two days left and a two and a half hour exam :|
What are you aiming & predicted to get ?
I'm actually not too worried about it as I did do it 8 years ago (when I was still at college) and happened to completed the A2 last year and got an A (got an B in my original AS), but as the syllabus has changed with Edexcel since 2004, I am having to do the first part again! Did my oral in December, and think that went pretty well! Also did my German AS exams earlier on this week, and thought they were much harder than French (got my A2 ones in the summer), although hope to get an A in both languages. After doing my degree in Spanish and Italian, I would sincerely hope I got an A in French, as all three languages are so similar. German, however, is a completely different kettle of fish and have only been learning the language properly for 10 months (did my GCSE last summer), so I would really love an A, but if I got a lower mark than that I guess I'd still be happy as most of my learning of the language has been on my own!

Besides, nothing hangs on me doing well on any of the exams, as I'm doing them to improve my language skills, unlike when I was at college and did Spanish and Italian A-Levels, as well as French AS!

Has anyone else got 3 or 4 A-Levels in languages out of interest?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I have it tomorrow too, I feel pretty unprepared as I haven't actually done much revision wise.. my teacher didn't give us any past papers so im just flicking through the book at the topics really but i get too bored doing that. What did you guys get first time round? The listening part is my worst and i think that probably wont improve this time as we never do listening activities in class anymore. best of luck to all though :smile:
Original post by bugsy12
I have it tomorrow too, I feel pretty unprepared as I haven't actually done much revision wise.. my teacher didn't give us any past papers so im just flicking through the book at the topics really but i get too bored doing that. What did you guys get first time round? The listening part is my worst and i think that probably wont improve this time as we never do listening activities in class anymore. best of luck to all though :smile:

Listening isn't too bad though tbh, I mean French speakers speak a hell of a lot faster than the exam recordings! I got a B the first time around, but am only doing it again because I did mine 8 years ago and completed the A2 last year, and got an A, so am not too worried about the exam tomorrow tbh. Good luck though anyway!
Original post by chicoinglés

My German teacher has A Levels in French and German from when she was at school, and then did two more A Levels in Russian and Spanish. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by chicoinglés
I'm actually not too worried about it as I did do it 8 years ago (when I was still at college) and happened to completed the A2 last year and got an A (got an B in my original AS), but as the syllabus has changed with Edexcel since 2004, I am having to do the first part again! Did my oral in December, and think that went pretty well! Also did my German AS exams earlier on this week, and thought they were much harder than French (got my A2 ones in the summer), although hope to get an A in both languages. After doing my degree in Spanish and Italian, I would sincerely hope I got an A in French, as all three languages are so similar. German, however, is a completely different kettle of fish and have only been learning the language properly for 10 months (did my GCSE last summer), so I would really love an A, but if I got a lower mark than that I guess I'd still be happy as most of my learning of the language has been on my own!

Besides, nothing hangs on me doing well on any of the exams, as I'm doing them to improve my language skills, unlike when I was at college and did Spanish and Italian A-Levels, as well as French AS!

Oh wow, seems like languages are your thing! Goodluck though :smile:
Any advice as the exam is tomorrow?
Reply 11
Original post by bugsy12

Sameee, I've been too focused on my other exams. Now I'm stressing about tomorrow! Our teacher has made us do loads of papers throughout the year so I guess I should be okay. This is my first time...what did you get the first time round?
Thanks & goodluck to you too! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Adrianna123
Sameee, I've been too focused on my other exams. Now I'm stressing about tomorrow! Our teacher has made us do loads of papers throughout the year so I guess I should be okay. This is my first time...what did you get the first time round?
Thanks & goodluck to you too! :smile:

I haven't had any other exams I've just been incredibly lazy and been trying to do my A2 computing project which I'm ridiculously behind on ahh i suck :frown:

Im worrying about what our essay topic will be on, I'm praying it's not on education like the school system because I hate that topic. The environment would be nice.

Erm I'm going to sound like a massive loser but I actually got an A when I did it in the summer, but it was a pretty low one, basically just scraped the A with 82% so I thought why not retake it and try and get higher and help myself out for my A2. How did you do?
Original post by Adrianna123
Oh wow, seems like languages are your thing! Goodluck though :smile:
Any advice as the exam is tomorrow?

Hiya!

Thanks for that! I try my best! You too! Well, I would say you could go through a few past papers tonight if you have time, but to be honest, languages are not something you can learn overnight (pretty obvious I guess but as you know languages are not like other subjects which you can cram for if necessary!) but something you have to acquire over time, and what you don't know now, you won't now by tomorrow tbh, apart from perhaps a few bits of vocab here and there! I really hope the environment doesn't come up in the writing section, as I really wouldn't know what to write about it in English, let alone French, or any other language I know for that matter! Good luck for to you too!!
Original post by TheatreLovely
My German teacher has A Levels in French and German from when she was at school, and then did two more A Levels in Russian and Spanish. :smile:

That's impressive!!! It's most definitely possible though!!
I also have this exam, I got a C last time, but a B in my speaking, I was literally a few marks off a B :frown: So I'm hoping to bring it up!

But seeing as I have done, let's say... not much revision, it could go completely the opposite way. Doing worse than last time would be an absolute nightmare!

Original post by bugsy12
Im worrying about what our essay topic will be on, I'm praying it's not on education like the school system because I hate that topic. The environment would be nice.

Erm I'm going to sound like a massive loser but I actually got an A when I did it in the summer, but it was a pretty low one, basically just scraped the A with 82% so I thought why not retake it and try and get higher and help myself out for my A2. How did you do?

OR, they could give us something completely unrelated, like disability -.-

And you got an A! You crazy person, why are you resitting?! :tongue: EDIT: sorry, I just read why.. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
aaah can't believe its tomoro! at least we won't get disability again that was horrible, I never got taught that and its what brought my grade down :/

good luck guys!
Original post by RebeccaRat
aaah can't believe its tomoro! at least we won't get disability again that was horrible, I never got taught that and its what brought my grade down :/

good luck guys!

I don't think anyone was taught that to be honest!

My teacher said they tend to do that, but in other subjects like german they stick to the syllabus :rolleyes:

Good luck :smile:
Well, how did you all find it then? I thought it was pretty easy, although spent nearly the whole 45 minutes on the listening to make sure everything was covered. The reading was easy as was the writing, which I was pleased about as it wasn't the environment, which I was dreading as it's a horrid topic to have to write about!
Am I on the right exam thread? I took this exam this morning (I think) The listening on the Swiss milk and the writing part on teenagers and new technology. I found it alright (I am retaking, got a high B last year) but i didn't really revise so I forgot how to write a letter in French :/ Other than that I managed to get most tenses in and I'm hopeful that I might have just scraped an A

Quick Reply

Latest