The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
It always amuses me to see medicine/life sciences pre-freshers getting all excited over anatomy (and yes, I was exactly the same) and usually after the second practical half of the class realise they actually hate the subject. Aside from the amusing mnemonics you can construct for remembering various things, anatomy really isn't that fascinating imho. Though having said that, anything beats the histology lab and the associated spotter tests. ****s.

You were exactly the same :wink: I dunno really, one more thing to be excited about I guess. I'd just like to know I got the chance to do it, even if I hated it after. I've always not liked the idea of anatomy tbf, nor have I thought it would be largely fascinating, so I am aware of this and indeed it's a strong possibility I'll hate it anyway. I'd just like to try dissection, and give anatomy a go is all :dontknow: I hate having regrets.

I hate that idea even more :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Prince_of_Arabia
I will try and explain to you why it is unfair. Bare in mind, I also love Barts, but I am not going to try and defend an unfair admissions system (even though the medical school is great:smile:)

Firsly, the 'great' UCAS tariff system. Well, firstly, the ucas tariff itself is stupidly selective and unfair. By proxy, to base an admissions system, on an unfair points system clearly makes the system arbitrary.

For example, person X may have excelled in sport to a national/regional standard and achieved his gold duke of edinburgh or excelled in a hobby like debating (winning an competition Oxford Union for example). How many points does person X get for all this??? A total of 0 points.

On the other hand, person Y may have completed some simple sports leadership award that takes 2 months and gained more points than person X. Why should the system actively give an advantage to those who do music compared to sport or one qualification ahead of another? It takes longer to achieve a national standard in sport than it does to gain your grade 6 in music.

In addittion, it centres the grade predictions in selecting for interviews. As you may know some schools do not predict A*'s or some may be especially generous in predicting them. This disparity only makes it unfair for some students.

I myself managed to get an interview so I am not speaking from experience. However, you cannot deny that some aspects of this system is in need of reform.

In my opinion, a system that looks at EVERYTHING to decide who is interviewed is far better. For instance at UCL, they look at your GCSE's, AS grades, Personal Statement, Reference etc so that you cannot be discarded on one weakness in your application. Everyone who is then interviewed has a reserved place- they just have to prove to the interviewers that they deserve it. Barts on the other hand bases interviews pretty much on a tariff system that in itself ignores a great variety of activities.

I love Barts and it is a great university- a privelege for anyone to go to- but come on dude- the tariff system is grossly unfair.

Another example of how the tariff system is unfair:

A levels: Biology (A), Chem (B), Maths (B), GS (A) AS level: Physics (A)

Tot = 500 points

A levels: Biology (A*), Chem (A*), Maths(A*) AS level: Physics (A)

Tot = 480 points

Who is the student with the most potential?

It looks like no applicants with 3 A levels and 1 AS has been offered an interviewed - this does seem unfair.

Ucas themselves seem unhappy with the system - see below:

UCAS: Phasing out tariff points
Posted on 10 February 2012 by Latest News
From THE:

Tariff points should be phased out by the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, a Ucas review unveiled on 9 February recommends.

It calls for their “gradual withdrawal” when setting entry requirements and making offers.

Instead, it proposes, all higher education offers should be grade-based.

Many universities have already stopped using the Ucas tariff-point system, which compares A levels with about 1,400 level-3 qualifications, including the IB.

A consultation is under way until 16 April, with a decision on the plans expected in June.

UCAS Announcement (with a link to consultation document)

http://www.ucas.com/documents/qireview/qirconsultation_english.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa
You were exactly the same :wink: I dunno really, one more thing to be excited about I guess. I'd just like to know I got the chance to do it, even if I hated it after. I've always not liked the idea of anatomy tbf, nor have I thought it would be largely fascinating, so I am aware of this and indeed it's a strong possibility I'll hate it anyway. I'd just like to try dissection is all :dontknow: I hate having regrets.

Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as dismissive to your enthusiasm :p: I was making a general comment inspired by your post rather than meaning to criticise you. Certainly the provision of dissection is exciting and people have been saying for many years that anatomy teaching at BL isn't as good as elsewhere, so maybe this will help. We had prosections at any rate, but I still found anatomy to be quite dry.

(But trust me, you'll never, ever be enthusiastic for histology).
Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as dismissive to your enthusiasm :p: I was making a general comment inspired by your post rather than meaning to criticise you. Certainly the provision of dissection is exciting and people have been saying for many years that anatomy teaching at BL isn't as good as elsewhere, so maybe this will help. We had prosections at any rate, but I still found anatomy to be quite dry.

(But trust me, you'll never, ever be enthusiastic for histology).

Sorry, it may be me reading it in that way :tongue: I'm prepping for an interview at the moment so trying to practice my 'sticking up for myself' skill if criticised, or the 'not backing down' one (hence the debating here, which isn't like me as I just keep quiet over shyness or fear :teehee:) but I was a little aware your comment was general, but just felt like letting you know my train of though is all :tongue:

I hope you're right and dissection does help BL's anatomy teaching :yep:

How did you even help yourself learn all the names? Must be so dry and voluminous :pinch:

I know, I'm definitely not looking forward to it :sad:
Does anyone else have an interview tomorrow? This is possibly my only interview(Ive given up hope on ucl) so very nervous..
Can i ask has anyone who has had a Barts interview do barts employ the stratagy of one person looking very disinterested to see how you cope with pressure?

How did you even help yourself learn all the names? Must be so dry and voluminous :pinch:

I find mnemonic devices to be very useful. There are some famous ones which generations of students have used e.g. two zulus buggered my cat for branches of the facial nerve. I also make up my own ones. They all tend to revolve around sex and swear words so that should tell you what's on most students' minds. Of course, the profs may supply you with wholesome PC ones, but I find them less easy to remember :wink:

There is (and this is not just about anatomy, it's a general comment about uni education) a healthy amount of cramming involved too, in the nights leading up to the exam which means that roughly two days after you've sat the exam you've forgotten most of what you know, or at least the nitty gritty little details. However, this may not be the case as the MBBS curriculum is different to a life sciences BSc.

I know, I'm definitely not looking forward to it :sad:

The histology? It is quite difficult at first but you do definitely get better the more samples you view. And of course you learn to make educated guesses. A combination of these methods gained me a distinction in my last histology exam and I'm a total dunce when it comes to spotters :dunce:

Don't stress and good luck with your interview!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3966
I'm totally not looking forward to dissection :erm:

(assuming I hopefully get an offer)
I find mnemonic devices to be very useful. There are some famous ones which generations of students have used e.g. two zulus buggered my cat for branches of the facial nerve. I also make up my own ones. They all tend to revolve around sex and swear words so that should tell you what's on most students' minds. Of course, the profs may supply you with wholesome PC ones, but I find them less easy to remember :wink:

Sounds like it helps a lot :yep:

Not surprised at all :teehee: Though, I may ask you for some of your mnemonics if I get in :tongue: and haha :tongue:

There is (and this is not just about anatomy, it's a general comment about uni education) a healthy amount of cramming involved too, in the nights leading up to the exam which means that roughly two days after you've sat the exam you've forgotten most of what you know, or at least the nitty gritty little details. However, this may not be the case as the MBBS curriculum is different to a life sciences BSc.

Not surprised lol, but good to know :h:

The histology? It is quite difficult at first but you do definitely get better the more samples you view. And of course you learn to make educated guesses. A combination of these methods gained me a distinction in my last histology exam and I'm a total dunce when it comes to spotters :dunce:

Yeah :sadnod: Thanks for the advice and the info :smile:

Don't stress and good luck with your interview!

I am trying not to :erm: THANK YOU! :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3968
Sounds like it helps a lot :yep:

Not surprised at all :teehee: Though, I may ask you for some of your mnemonics if I get in :tongue: and haha :tongue:

Not surprised lol, but good to know :h:

Yeah :sadnod: Thanks for the advice and the info :smile:

I am trying not to :erm: THANK YOU! :h:

WHEN* :yep:
Original post by chocolate_pies

http://www.ucas.com/documents/qireview/qirconsultation_english.pdf

That's irrelevant, when they say UCAS tariff they mean when giving offers, some universities give offers of 360 points not AAA, so A*AB or A*A*C would be sufficient in lieu of AAA.

They aren't referring to using UCAS Tariff as a means of selecting for interview, it would seem a bit silly for UCAS to have made an entire report when AFAIK Barts and the London is the only place that selects like this, for medicine or other wise.
Reply 3970
You were exactly the same :wink: I dunno really, one more thing to be excited about I guess. I'd just like to know I got the chance to do it, even if I hated it after. I've always not liked the idea of anatomy tbf, nor have I thought it would be largely fascinating, so I am aware of this and indeed it's a strong possibility I'll hate it anyway. I'd just like to try dissection, and give anatomy a go is all :dontknow: I hate having regrets.

How do you feel about giving injections, venapuncture and stuff like that?
Original post by Normandy114
That's irrelevant, when they say UCAS tariff they mean when giving offers, some universities give offers of 360 points not AAA, so A*AB or A*A*C would be sufficient in lieu of AAA.

They aren't referring to using UCAS Tariff as a means of selecting for interview, it would seem a bit silly for UCAS to have made an entire report when AFAIK Barts and the London is the only place that selects like this, for medicine or other wise.

Ucas have made a report on the use of ucas tariff in general. It appears to be looking at entry requirements, decisions made about interviews, offers and confirmation of places.

Information about qualifications is an important
factor in admissions to HE. Universities and
colleges use this information in a variety of
ways: to inform both entry requirements and
the decisions that institutions make in relation
to interviews, offers, and the confirmation
of places.
In 2001 UCAS introduced the Tariff mechanism
to facilitate comparisons between different
kinds of qualifications. However, during the last
decade, the number, diversity and complexity
of qualifications offering pathways to HE has
expanded substantially. Concerns have grown
that the Tariff mechanism lacks sufficient
flexibility to keep pace with the changing nature
of the qualifications environment and is being
used for purposes for which it was not
designed.

Original post by Medicine Man
Actually, and this caught me off guard, a lot (or rather a larger than expected number) of the students that I spoke to in the interview waiting room seem to have applied all over the country and to BL as their only London medical school choice.
In my experience, I've noticed that people living in/around London generally tend to apply to more than one London medical school whereas people from outside London tend to apply to 1 (or maybe 2 at a push) London medical school(s). This is of course a massive generalisation, as is what you've said, which basically means, no one can really tell to be totally honest. Surprising as this may seem, some people actually want to firm BL when they initially apply - I've got a couple of friends here who really wanted to come here. And tbh, it is MUCH better deciding on offers after the interviewing cycle is finished (albeit a little annoying for applicants) as it gives people who happened to be interviewed earlier no added advantage.

I'm one of these.
Reply 3973
Another example of how the tariff system is unfair:

A levels: Biology (A), Chem (B), Maths (B), GS (A) AS level: Physics (A)

Tot = 500 points

A levels: Biology (A*), Chem (A*), Maths(A*) AS level: Physics (A)

Tot = 480 points

Who is the student with the most potential?

It looks like no applicants with 3 A levels and 1 AS has been offered an interviewed - this does seem unfair.

i totally agree that it's unfair that the student with the most potential has less ucas tariff points

but i just want to point out that people with 3 Alevels and 1AS level have been interviewed - like me
Reply 3974
Original post by Muattaz.Kazzam
How did your interview go? i was at 1.55 btw

it was okay thanks, they were really friendly, what about you?
Original post by DoaaK
i totally agree that it's unfair that the student with the most potential has less ucas tariff points

but i just want to point out that people with 3 Alevels and 1AS level have been interviewed - like me

Hmm, but some students with 510 points that are still waiting for an interview. Do you have any idea why? Could I ask how many ucas points you have?
Reply 3976
Hmm, but some students with 510 points that are still waiting for an interview. Do you have any idea why? Could I ask how many ucas points you have?

Because it may be that Barts aren't JUST looking at UCAS points alone? There could be a lot of other things to take into account. We don't know for sure, but to be honest, there's not much that can be done unfortunately for the people who couldn't get an interview.
Anyone else realised how it's nearly march and this is nearly all over?

I mean, A week wednesday guys.
That's like 10 days.
240 hours
14400 minutes
Then it begins. . .
Original post by Revent
Because it may be that Barts aren't JUST looking at UCAS points alone? There could be a lot of other things to take into account. We don't know for sure, but to be honest, there's not much that can be done unfortunately for the people who couldn't get an interview.

Then the website and admissions policy don't have any mention of other factors being considered. Admissions policies are set so that all applicants know exactly how the selection process works before applying.
It always amuses me to see medicine/life sciences pre-freshers getting all excited over anatomy (and yes, I was exactly the same) and usually after the second practical half of the class realise they actually hate the subject. Aside from the amusing mnemonics you can construct for remembering various things, anatomy really isn't that fascinating imho.

Though having said that, anything beats the histology lab and the associated spotter tests. ****s.

It may be boring as **** but it's important as ****
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply