The Student Room Group

Extra 2012 - FAQ

***Update 26 February: the lists are looking very odd indeed, so CHECK with the university concerned before submitting any application!***

What is Extra?

The Extra application route is for people who have either received no offers or have declined the ones they did get, and who have no choices left to use. See UCAS Extra and the TSR Wiki.

How does it work?
From 24 February until 4 July, the UCAS course listings will show which universities/courses are still accepting applications. Your Track screen will show whether you are eligible to use Extra. If you are, you will be able to make a further choice up until 4 July. However, you should always check with the uni first to make sure the listing is correct, and also whether they will accept a revised PS/updated predictions etc, particularly important if you are applying for a different course from your original choices. After 4 July the course listings still show which unis were still in Extra at that point but no more applications can be submitted through that route.

How do I find out what's in Extra?
Go to UCAS Course Search, choose the correct search engine for your status, and check the Extra Courses Only box. UCAS has two Course Search engines, to make it clear which category of applicant will be considered for what, so it is important to make sure you are looking in the right place. Courses that are closed to new applications will show a 'c'; courses in Extra will show an 'x'.

Sometimes it seems from the UCAS listing that a uni will accept a new application, but won't consider someone applying through the Extra route. If in doubt, ring and check. Unis can close a course at any time, but presumably can also 're-open' it, for example if more people than they expect decline offers already issued. There's nothing to stop you from ringing a uni to check whether this could happen for a particular course, but use your common sense. The 'closed' status clearly isn't going to change at LSE for economics :smile: Where the status of a particular course is unclear (ie no 'c' or 'x') ring them up first to check what's what. **the listings in the first day or two of Extra in particular can be very inaccurate, so don't take anything you see at face value**

Anyone can check the Extra listings; you do not have to be eligible to apply through Extra to be able to see what's there.

Do unis lower the entry requirements for courses in Extra?
No. In general, universities do not lower entry requirements until Clearing, and not necessarily then. At this (Extra) stage, universities are still looking to fill vacancies with candidates who meet their stated requirements. After all, universities asking high grades do so because they reckon they can get enough people to fill their course/s without having to compromise.

Bear in mind that entry requirements do change from year to year, and also there are sometimes differences between what is on UCAS and what is shown on the uni website. It is generally safer to assume whichever is the higher requirement is the correct one, but ring or email the uni and check if in doubt.

How long does it take to get a reply to an Extra choice?
This varies, but if you do not hear within 21 days you can withdraw and make another choice. Before you do this, though, it is reasonable to ring the uni and ask what's happening. An offer might be in the pipeline! Easter and other holidays can delay decisions, so don't assume that no news is a bad thing.

How do I choose which course to apply for?
In the same way as you did with your first round of choices. Check out the How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections thread. Be flexible and realistic. Remember too that the uni/s you apply to through Extra will be able to see details of your original course and uni choices.

Should I decline all my offers and go through Extra?
Only if you are very sure (a) that you don't want to take up any of the offers you have and (b) have spoken to the uni/s you have it in mind to apply to through Extra about whether they will consider your application. Given the competition for places, declining offers you already have is an increasingly high risk strategy, and one to be pursued only if you have carefully considered every other option (for example, asking unis that have made you offers if they will consider you for alternative courses). Remember that you do not have an insurance option if you are an Extra applicant.

Can I use Extra if I've changed my mind about my firm/insurance?
See Changing Your Mind for more information about this. Essentially you need to persuade your firm/insurance to reject you (if your offer is conditional). Some people have reported that they have been able to use Extra afterwards, but you need to check this out with UCAS before doing anything final. If you have accepted an unconditional offer, the chances are that you will only be able to negotiate a release into Clearing (the uni can't reject you as there were no conditions to be met).

I am a late applicant/have unused choices
The Extra listings are important because they give you a guide as to which unis are still taking applications, but your application does not go through the Extra route itself.

I want to change my Extra choice
You will only be able to change your Extra choice after 21 days from when you made it; you cannot change it sooner.

My Extra choice rejected me
If this happens before 4 July, your Track should show that you can now enter a further Extra choice if you want to. You can wait for Clearing if you prefer.

Can I apply again through Extra to a uni that rejected me?
There's no point in doing so if it's for the same course, and probably not much point for another. Unis will quite often automatically consider you for alternative, related, courses anyway, and if they haven't your chances will be very small. If you wanted to apply for something quite different it might be worth a try but speak to them first (as above).

What about Clearing?
New applications made after the end of June are held over until Clearing; Extra applicants have up until 4 July to make an Extra choice. After that date, all applications are held over until Clearing - you will not be able to enter a choice on your Track.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know ucas extra doesnt open until end of february but i emailed the university to ask if they think it would be in ucas extra and they said just to keep an eye out. i recently looked back on ucas course search and found that its closed so now im panicking incase theyre not accepting anyone through extra. :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by GSO
I know ucas extra doesnt open until end of february but i emailed the university to ask if they think it would be in ucas extra and they said just to keep an eye out. i recently looked back on ucas course search and found that its closed so now im panicking incase theyre not accepting anyone through extra. :frown:
Well maybe they won't, but it's not really the end of the world. There will be other options.

I have posted the FAQ thread for Extra 2012 (stickied at the top of the forum) so will close this thread now.

Extra opens on 24 February.
Original post by angelmxxx

You are allowed to change your PS before you apply to Extra I think, so definitely get it checked on here so you can edit it before Extra goes up! :smile:

Wait What?! You can? I read on UCAS you could only send a new PS to uni's by email but they would still see your old application, so you had to have a good reason for changing courses on extra!

(Sorry massive bump didn't realise!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nicki Lewinskey
Wait What?! You can? I read on UCAS you could only send a new PS to uni's by email but they would still see your old application, so you had to have a good reason for changing courses on extra!

(Sorry massive bump didn't realise!)
Don't worry - have moved your post into this year's thread. You are right, btw.
Does anyone know if you can apply through schemes for courses in Extra? For example Birmingham offer the Access to Birmingham (A2B) scheme and York, Leeds, Bristol, etc. also offer similar schemes although they all do differ slightly as some involve attending sessions, open days, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by hypercaine.
Does anyone know if you can apply through schemes for courses in Extra? For example Birmingham offer the Access to Birmingham (A2B) scheme and York, Leeds, Bristol, etc. also offer similar schemes although they all do differ slightly as some involve attending sessions, open days, etc.
I rather doubt it, but the only way of knowing for sure is to contact the universities individually and ask them.
Reply 7
What time do the courses go live? Is it at Midnight?
Whos the best to get in contact with; the department or the UG admissions people? Or even someone else!?
Reply 9
Okay, i need some help.

Basically, i contacted manchester twice over the last two days to ask if there was even the slightest chance Pharmacology would be available through UCAS Extra. They said no and yet all five Pharmacology courses are available on UCAS Extra so what does that mean? I'm so confused.

Also, i'm not going through UCAS Extra, i want to return to education this year, my application is just late so i thought i might as well wait and apply for courses that i know are still available. Does that make a difference?

Thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by hypercaine.
Whos the best to get in contact with; the department or the UG admissions people? Or even someone else!?
Start with Admissions and take it from there.

Original post by revels
Okay, i need some help.

Basically, i contacted manchester twice over the last two days to ask if there was even the slightest chance Pharmacology would be available through UCAS Extra. They said no and yet all five Pharmacology courses are available on UCAS Extra so what does that mean? I'm so confused.

Also, i'm not going through UCAS Extra, i want to return to education this year, my application is just late so i thought i might as well wait and apply for courses that i know are still available. Does that make a difference?

Thanks.
It means that the uni hasn't told UCAS that the course is closed. They probably have by now.

And yes, it does make a difference that you are a late applicant. Some courses will be open to you but not to Extra applicants. You need to check with each uni you have in mind whether they will accept an applicaiton from you.
Hey guys,

I am waiting for a reply from Edinburgh uni to do Chem Eng.
This morning I checked and the course that I applied for Is in Ucas track.
Is there anyway of knowing how many free spaces they have?
Does this make me more likely of an offer, if they haven't replied by now?
Reply 12
Original post by thecustardtart
Not in Extra = no places left, that's all. Unis get oversubscribed because they're seen as 'elite', or because they're very popular, or because they are small, or because they give fewer offers per place. Exeter is in a nice place, and is a good uni, so it isn't surprising that it's popular, I suppose. Also, some unis go into Extra without having many/any places, and only make Extra offers to international students.

Or because they've been numpties and given out too many offers already.
Original post by TGH1

that's right, i know lots of people who applied to exeter heard back pretty quickly (as compared to other unis). I think they like to just get things done in the first around and not deal with extra applicants.
Reply 14
Original post by Alexlol28
Hey guys,

I am waiting for a reply from Edinburgh uni to do Chem Eng.
This morning I checked and the course that I applied for Is in Ucas track.
Is there anyway of knowing how many free spaces they have?
Does this make me more likely of an offer, if they haven't replied by now?
It may be a wrong listing - this happens. If it is correct, it doesn't mean you are more likely to get an offer.

Original post by TGH1
Universities are only required to give equal consideration to anyone who applies before 15 January. They are under no obligation thereafter to consider any new applications, and many don't. They have not been 'numpties' at all.

Original post by jacksonriddle
that's right, i know lots of people who applied to exeter heard back pretty quickly (as compared to other unis). I think they like to just get things done in the first around and not deal with extra applicants.
Universities will only consider Extra applicants if they haven't had enough applicants of the quality they require by 15 January. They don't reduce their admission standards in order to avoid going into Extra.

See the first post in the thread I've moved these posts into.
Reply 15
Original post by Minerva
Universities are only required to give equal consideration to anyone who applies before 15 January. They are under no obligation thereafter to consider any new applications, and many don't. They have not been 'numpties' at all.

That wasn't my point at all. I was pointing out that they could well have already made so many offers as to not need to offer places through UCAS Extra. They could, therefore, have made too many offers to pre-15th Jan applicants; I'm not saying they have, nor do I believe it's very likely they have. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
Reply 16
Original post by TGH1
That wasn't my point at all. I was pointing out that they could well have already made so many offers as to not need to offer places through UCAS Extra. They could, therefore, have made too many offers to pre-15th Jan applicants; I'm not saying they have, nor do I believe it's very likely they have. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
Not 'therefore', but 'also'. The one condition is not dependent on the other.
Reply 17
Original post by Minerva
Not 'therefore', but 'also'. The one condition is not dependent on the other.

That's why I italicised the stative verb :smile: It's just one possibility.
Original post by Minerva

Universities will only consider Extra applicants if they haven't had enough applicants of the quality they require by 15 January. They don't reduce their admission standards in order to avoid going into Extra.

that's not what i was trying to say. what i meant was that not all universities wait til the jan 15th deadline for all applicants to be considered, then make decisions. they look at their students and if they meet the quality they require and all the academic requirements they will give out offers, and hence many courses may already be full before extra starts.
Hey i want to apply for a different course through extra, will i have to write a new personal statement? Also is it possible for universities to see results of january modules?

Quick Reply