The Student Room Group

UK Chemistry Olympiad

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tomp99
The RSC are asking for papers back now, so I'd say that a conservative estimate would be the end of next week.

My teacher got the email from the RSC today asking for the paper back and he kindly let me read the e-mail. It's just saying that I was in top53 and all people who are in top53 are going to get a re-mark,then after re-marking, 25 students will be invited for the round2. Qualified students will receive invitation by 5th of March.

So be optimistic. its not saying we are the 53rd so we probably still stand a chance:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
I got 43/80 (is it out of 80?), holding an oxford biology offer. I'm pretty pleased because I didn't do any prep bar reading through a few past papers beforehand.

Do you think I am on for a silver?

Thanks
Reply 82
Original post by gibb
I got 43/80 (is it out of 80?), holding an oxford biology offer. I'm pretty pleased because I didn't do any prep bar reading through a few past papers beforehand.

Thanks

Congratulations for your oxford offer first! I applied for oxford and got rejected by exeter college. For chemistry olympiad, it is out of 80. But I have no ideas about if it will be a silver or not.... Actually I hope that you could get a gold, if this is the case, my chance for round2 will obviously be higher:smile:
Reply 83
Original post by xyll313
Congratulations for your oxford offer first! I applied for oxford and got rejected by exeter college. For chemistry olympiad, it is out of 80. But I have no ideas about if it will be a silver or not.... Actually I hope that you could get a gold, if this is the case, my chance for round2 will obviously be higher:smile:

Thanks! I have a feeling i'll land a high bronze, our chemistry teacher said he thought the paper was easier than usual so I hope we don't all get knocked down a boundary.
Reply 84
Original post by gibb
Thanks! I have a feeling i'll land a high bronze, our chemistry teacher said he thought the paper was easier than usual so I hope we don't all get knocked down a boundary.

My teacher said its probably at a similar level. Also, what you will get is more depends on the performance of other people. Take this as a guide, tomp99 got 56/80 and he is in the top53. and there are around 180-200 people for a gold as said by my teacher( he probably got this data from the RSC)

Good luck for both of us:smile:
Reply 85
My teacher told me that she thought I'd probably get a silver, but didn't want to give me my score yet. Apparently I aced the organic synthesis question.
Reply 86
Original post by xyll313
My teacher got the email from the RSC today asking for the paper back and he kindly let me read the e-mail. It's just saying that I was in top53 and all people who are in top53 are going to get a re-mark,then after re-marking, 25 students will be invited for the round2. Qualified students will receive invitation by 5th of March.

So be optimistic. its not saying we are the 53rd so we probably still stand a chance:smile:

I also got informed that I'm in the top 53. Can I ask what score you got?
Reply 87
Original post by elma
I also got informed that I'm in the top 53. Can I ask what score you got?

Firstly, congratulations! The lowest top 53 score we've heard of on this thread is mine, which was 56/80. We've also heard of two 57's, a 59 and a 63. We'd be very keen to hear yours!

Original post by gibb

Thanks

By my count, last year, there were 178 golds handed out. Based on what I've just said, I'd say you're definitely on for a silver!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by tomp99
Firstly, congratulations! The lowest top 53 score we've heard of on this thread is mine, which was 56/80. We've also heard of two 57's, a 59 and a 63. We'd be very keen to hear yours!

By my count, last year, there were 178 golds handed out. Based on what I've just said, I'd say you're definitely on for a silver!

I got 61/80. Who are the two 57's - I can only see one (trig happy)?
Original post by tomp99

Got 64/80.

Someone at my school got 52/80 and teacher said they literally just missed out on getting through. So I am guessing maybe 54/80 was the cutoff?

Also seeing as 54/80 is top 50, gold boundary is probably somewhere around high 40s.
Reply 90
Original post by fudgesundae
Got 64/80.

Someone at my school got 52/80 and teacher said they literally just missed out on getting through. So I am guessing maybe 54/80 was the cutoff?

Also seeing as 54/80 is top 50, gold boundary is probably somewhere around high 40s.

Congratulations - I think your score is the highest yet on here! Did you get the highest in your school? How does your teacher know what the top 53 cut off is - I'm sure my teacher has no idea?
Reply 91
Original post by elma
Congratulations - I think your score is the highest yet on here! Did you get the highest in your school? How does your teacher know what the top 53 cut off is - I'm sure my teacher has no idea?

I think what his teacher can know is the students with a score of 52 aren't in the top53. Now have a feeling that the cut line for round2 perhaps will be around 60. Btw, I'm the other guy who got 57
Original post by elma

Original post by xyll313
I think what his teacher can know is the students with a score of 52 aren't in the top53. Now have a feeling that the cut line for round2 perhaps will be around 60. Btw, I'm the other guy who got 57

Yeh sorry, I think someone else in my school got 55 or something and made it through, so she was just guessing that the 52 was very close to getting through.
Reply 93
Yeh sorry, I think someone else in my school got 55 or something and made it through, so she was just guessing that the 52 was very close to getting through.

How many people in your school are in the top 53 (and what were their scores)?
Reply 94
Original post by elma

Do not worry too much elma, I'm sure that you will be in round2:smile: Congratulations to all with more than 60!
Original post by elma

um 3 or 4 (maybe 5) I think. Scores ranging from 55/56 - 64, last year think we had 2 or 3 in the final 20.
Reply 96
um 3 or 4 (maybe 5) I think. Scores ranging from 55/56 - 64, last year think we had 2 or 3 in the final 20.

Wow, what a school! Good luck in R2 then, maybe I could be speaking to a future IChO medallist...? :biggrin:
Reply 97
I did wonder whether my "conservative" estimate wasn't conservative enough :biggrin:

Results and boundaries will be released on this website "by Friday 9th March".

http://www.rsc.org/Education/SchoolStudents/Olympiad/2012-competition.asp
Reply 98
Has anyone else got into Round 2? My sister and I received our invitations today. Just in case anyone wants to know the boundary for Round 2 was 60/80 (I asked the RSC). :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by elma
Has anyone else got into Round 2? My sister and I received our invitations today. Just in case anyone wants to know the boundary for Round 2 was 60/80 (I asked the RSC). :smile:

Well done! No one in my school got near that, do you know any other boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest