The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Just out of interest has anyone been told they have been successful for the Northern Ireland scheme?

This is the one I have applied to and I know there are only 5 places so just wondering how many are left or if anyone has been told they have been successful yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
as an afterthought, if I get through now I'm in a better position than anyone through to a FSB and then knocked back to CDs :smile:
Reply 1522
Original post by piemuncher3
as an afterthought, if I get through now I'm in a better position than anyone through to a FSB and then knocked back to CDs :smile:

Sorry to rain on your parade mate, but they'll be slotted back in ahead of you due to their higher FSAC score :frown:
ah well, there goes that balloon :P sure, least I can move on in the job search till March then!
Reply 1524
Original post by T-Sizzle
I had my FSAC last Thursday and it's been showing "Awaiting Event" since then. Today it changed to "Awaiting Results". Anyone care to hazard a guess at what that might mean?

Don't read anything into it, except that you can now access expenses. At this stage you should get a message at some point in the next week updating the status of your options.
Reply 1525
Just a little tip for everyone.

If you log in and go to your application, click the "i" next to pre-appointment checks. They've answered loads of questions
So people are getting updates? HAs anybody heard anything for DS yet? If havent heard about DS by now do you think that means completely amber-banded no hope etc etc? x
Reply 1527
Original post by ellie_flower
So people are getting updates? HAs anybody heard anything for DS yet? If havent heard about DS by now do you think that means completely amber-banded no hope etc etc? x

It means that you could be at the top of the amber band and deffo going to get invited to the FSB, or at the bottom of the amber band with no hope :tongue:

I think only those who took their FSAC last week are getting updates
I attended FSAC last Wednesday and found out I was successful today for HR Scheme! So excited good luck to those still to find out!
Original post by shellybean01
I attended FSAC last Wednesday and found out I was successful today for HR Scheme! So excited good luck to those still to find out!

Well done! Also applied for the HR stream here, but still waiting to find out :frown: I wonder if you were in the immediately successful bunch or if there was another tightening of amber bands today that I stayed in the middle of.
Reply 1530
FSAC last week but no updates today (yet). Am going for TiB.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1531
I had my FSAC last week, unsuccessful for Diplomatic Service, awaiting results for Central Departments.
Original post by Rice_Daddy
Well done! Also applied for the HR stream here, but still waiting to find out :frown: I wonder if you were in the immediately successful bunch or if there was another tightening of amber bands today that I stayed in the middle of.

I have no idea will be definately good to get the full feedback and find out scores etc hopefully you won't have to wait much longer fingers crossed for you!
Original post by TomDixie
It means that you could be at the top of the amber band and deffo going to get invited to the FSB, or at the bottom of the amber band with no hope :tongue:

I think only those who took their FSAC last week are getting updates

Have you heard anything today? Hope youhave lots of nice things to distract you :smile:
Reply 1534
Have you heard anything today? Hope youhave lots of nice things to distract you :smile:

Heard nada, but I'm off out now anyway as I never expected to.
So is everyone who has been unsuccessful for DS and HoP and amber-banded for CD feeling as dejected as I am right now?! I can't bear the thought of hanging on by a thread for potentially another month only to be given the eventual 'no' (I'm trying to be realistic, not pessimistic). If I ring up will they be able to give me any indication of my realistic chance of getting anything at the end of all this?

I had so much fun at the assessment centre but I feel like this has been hanging over me since I applied back in September!
Original post by shellybean01

Congratulations!

I'm at FSAC this week for HR. Did they give any indication of how many they take for that stream? I hope I find out quickly one way or the other. Comments from all these people waiting ages seems like it must be torture! I did my E-tray on the Friday morning and found out the Tuesday I was through to FSAC, so I've been lucky so far with the waiting!
Reply 1537
Original post by comeluckyapril
So is everyone who has been unsuccessful for DS and HoP and amber-banded for CD feeling as dejected as I am right now?! I can't bear the thought of hanging on by a thread for potentially another month only to be given the eventual 'no' (I'm trying to be realistic, not pessimistic). If I ring up will they be able to give me any indication of my realistic chance of getting anything at the end of all this?

I had so much fun at the assessment centre but I feel like this has been hanging over me since I applied back in September!

Yeah I was given unsuccessful for HOP and amber banded in the last tightening of the bands and have been offered a job elsewhere since the results came out.

Was pretty dejected to start with, as I'm fairly sure that now were amber banded for CD that going by previous results from the last couple of years were in the 16-17 point range which as of yet hasn't been successful. Like yourself, i'm not pessimistic, just ensuring that I have the best chance to further my career if i'm not successful with the Civil Service. I'll more than likely reapply if i'm not enjoying myself with the new job, just bit disheartening as many of the earlier rounds felt like a lottery to get out of.

I have no idea whether ringing up would help you, I should imagine they'd just inform you that your results should be out on a certain week and that would be about it.
No, its absolutely realistic. I'm sorry, but I'm certain more than a few people have applied to other jobs too and are having to compare salaries. That is normal. In terms of being geographically mobile, I have been mobile all my life. My parents lived in tanzania, canada, india and japan and I have been shunted from school to school to country to city to all over the shop.

I'm really keen to settle down now. I want to make sure that I CAN do this and I won't be giving my children the life I had when i was growing up. Whilst interesting, I don't have a base at all. Please, understand this.

Also, I was checking that £27k is for london because I will be living with my partner who will be earning a little more than that and I want to be in an equal relationship in an equal flat.

Now youve questioned my concerns, they are obviouslt personal ones, but I had written them in as general a way as possible!!

These are reasonable concerns. The departments have different payscales but I think its reasonable to expect that in salary, the London ones are likely to be 'late 20s' and the regions 'mid 20s'. However I do know people that started on less in London at DfID.

As for mobility and having a base - if you want London to be your base then you can do that within the Civil Service, most opportunities are in London. However it may be that you are offered a job to start in one of the regions. If this is the case, and its a department that has a regional office and a London office then ask them if its possible to work it from London - depending on the exact job and the team some departments may be flexible with that...but don't force it. Government is pretty flexible as an employer but at the end of the day it is still government and the job comes first. If it is a case that they really specifically need you to start in that regional office then take it, and tell them that you are keen to relocate to London, when options for job rotation come around. Often departments will expect you to work for 2 years in your starting department and then you're free to move around and apply for jobs outside your department so once that happens you can just aim your career moves for London.

The good thing about wanting a 'base' in London is you could have a career working for loads of different departments whilst based in London, that wouldn't be the case if you wanted a 'base' in Sheffield or Leeds.

One thing I like about the Civil Service is there are options for people to fit in from different family circumstances, eg people with kids that want to stay in one place can do, then there are singletons with free spirits that want to take jobs in different departments moving round the country, doing secondments abroad etc. Also the hours, flexible working and holidays are pretty good compared to most jobs, for people wanting to spend time with their kids, equally if you want to devote your life to work there are jobs in government where people are married to the service and spend their whole lives working, and by making that sacrifice they get a very successful and rewarding career at the heart of government.

It is also a healthy mix to have some people in a department that are departmental stalwarts, and others that have toured around the place and got wide experience of government, both types of career have their plus points and negatives.
For anyone who's been to FSAC already how far a walk from Westminster tube is it? I'm just thinking what time I need to be leaving my hotel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending