The Student Room Group

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Firstly, I tutor 3 year 8's with reading every Tuesday. They're such outspoken brats, cheeky little.. when I was that age I looked up to the elder students with respect and awe. And I swear, they're all spoiled with Iphones etc.. when I was that age I'd be lucky to get an MP3. I wouldn't dare go near the back of the bus, but now we're crowded by them!

Secondly the tv shows kids watch.. WTF is that crap? The Big Time Rush show? Wizards of Waverley Place? I'll take CBBC's Shoebox Zoo, Ace Lightning or CITV's Angela saying "Next is Digimon!". Don't even get me started on the new Tracey Beaker..

Then how naughty they are. I did work experience in the old school, only to find a park, a wooden fun reserve, football shooters, every colour you could think of. When I was in school all you saw was grey concrete, if we were lucky in the Summer we'd get chalk to draw on the concrete. We'd role-play Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Lilo and Stitch, and play "Mob tag" and have a blast! During that week I broke up four fights, got questioned by a year five on my sex life, and came across a year 4 who thought she could bite me and laugh it off.. (She never got to go swimming hehe)..The dinner lady I spoke to actually said the kids were way naughtier than us! Also on a Summer's day take your dog for a walk down the park, see how many kids are playing 'tag' or 'fox and hounds' as we did.. I think you'll mostly find chavs on the swings smoking.

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

Edit: During mentoring today the kid was stroking 'that area' saying 'ohh yeah touch my clit.. then as an assistant teacher walks in one sings "Dem sexy ladeh"
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

overexposure to social media, companies giving up good stuff for more profitable shows.

gadgets are cheaper and more available/affordable.

I mean, I've spent most of my childhood outside, playing football with other kids and whatnot.

also, how can you expect someone to grow up into a normal person, when they listen to Nicky Minaj and Justin Bieber?

but yeah, every generation claims that the generation after them is brats and ungrateful bastards.
Reply 2
Yes, they are growing up too fast.
I agree with you. But this happens with every generation, not just ours.

Imagine what grandpa Joe feels like..
There is a problem with kids growing up too fast. Just remember not all kids are like that, by far, and that you may be remembering things with slightly rosey tinted glasses... I certainly remember bullying, sex talk and brats in my class!
It really makes me wonder what I would do if my kid wanted an iPhone, and every other parent had given their kids iPhones.. but I didn't want mine to have one because what the hell do they need one for? But what would you give them instead.. an old nokia? Would they get bullied? Theres no alternative, they're all smart phones with access to the internet and a billion apps.. what are you supposed to do?
Reply 6
The exact same thing would have been said about your friends and yourself by kids a bit older than you. And people wonder why old people get so disillusioned with the modern world. Kids grow up too fast, in any age.
Reply 7
I love these threads about 'kids these days'. The majority of the points made are just as applicable to when the majority of here were growing up.

I didn't have a mobile phone when I was was 12, and I was in a very small minority
Many kids in my year were cheeky/brats to teachers or older kids
Loads of kids had playstations or a gameboy (now they were brilliant)
A lot of kids still go and play outside as well as having these gadgets that we had, apart from their phones/games consoles were just a bit more advanced than our were 6-10 years ago.
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
Yes, they are growing up too fast.

Original post by NuckingFut
I agree with you. But this happens with every generation, not just ours.

Imagine what grandpa Joe feels like..

I strongly feel our generation's been carried on this though e.g When we were young there weren't Facebook or Twitter, Iphones, HD Tvs.. at a push we had BEBO.. but atleast we knew that was for kids and never tried to act older.
WE think it's bad, try looking at it from a middle- aged or pensioners perspective :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Pearl Lake
The exact same thing would have been said about your friends and yourself by kids a bit older than you. And people wonder why old people get so disillusioned with the modern world. Kids grow up too fast, in any age.

My old dinner lady told me the kids are alot worse now than we were :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by insignificant
But what would you give them instead.. an old nokia? Would they get bullied? Theres no alternative, they're all smart phones with access to the internet and a billion apps.. what are you supposed to do?

I have a (fairly) old nokia. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

What age is year 7? Is it like p7, so 10/11? :eek:
Original post by Christop
I have an old nokia. :frown:

So do I, but you know what kids are like..
'Kids these days'... How have I reached this age already...? :dong:
Reply 15
Original post by Popppppy
What age is year 7? Is it like p7, so 10/11? :eek:

Yes! Exactly!
OMG i had totally forgotten about ace lightening!!!! i loved that show!!
You sound like a miserable old git who is looking through some rose tinted spectacles.
Get a grip and remember what it was really like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Bellissima
OMG i had totally forgotten about ace lightening!!!! i loved that show!!

I loved it but I had really vivid nightmares about the bad guys :frown:
Original post by Harley
I loved it but I had really vivid nightmares about the bad guys :frown:

i know same! it was actually pretty scary... especially that skeleton guy

Quick Reply

Latest