The Student Room Group

Does anyone think that coursework deadline policies are too harsh?

Well today I finished my coursework just a few minutes late as the Uni said everything was submitted online/had printer problems but they said I will get no marks for it at all. I think that's very harsh & a better policy would be to take a mark away for every minute some goes over the deadline or something like that :cool: atm I just feel like all that effort was for nothing lol.

Scroll to see replies

Or you could have finished it earlier and avoided the last-minute rush.
Reply 2
Ur fault
Reply 3
No. You knew when your deadline was and you should know that logically there's bound to be a mad rush around that time so it's entirely your fault if it's late.
Nope. We're always given more than enough time to get things done. It's your own fault for leaving this one until the last minute - you even said that you finished it (not just handed it in) late.
Reply 5
Nah. Any time I've had a legitimate reason for not being able to complete the assignment on time I've applied for an extension and been granted it. On the one or two occasions when I've submitted late just because of poor planning and stuff I've taken the penalty, knowing full well it was my own fault.
They should be harsh >_> I don't think its fair that I submitted my english literature coursework in on time, when someone else has been given an extension of three months and still counting. Its actually ridiculous.

I think a few minutes over is a bit OTT, but a deadline is a deadline. Maybe if you stayed up late doing it rather than sleeping? I dont know ^_^
Reply 7
Not at all. Just finish it the night before and there's never any problem, whether submitting physically or electronically.
I still think it's harsh to deduct all the marks though as I know some other people who have been on the wrong end of it & they had spent a lot of time on it with their essays being of a good standard too :wink:
Reply 9
That does seem a bit harsh. We lose five marks per day if the work is up to five days late, after that we get zero. It seems to work, it's hard enough to get a good mark without dropping marks for lateness.
Reply 10
We have the same policy, however York uni gets 10% deducted for each day its late. Quite frankly I prefer our system as it gives everyone the same chance and is fair.
Original post by Multitalented me
Well today I finished my coursework just a few minutes late as the Uni said everything was submitted online/had printer problems but they said I will get no marks for it at all. I think that's very harsh & a better policy would be to take a mark away for every minute some goes over the deadline or something like that :cool: atm I just feel like all that effort was for nothing lol.

Its a fairly easy situation to avoid, do it earlier and avoid this mess. I dont agree with a loss of a mark per minute, think about it from the universities point of view, its an organisational nightmare, compared to the relativly simple, everyone has X time, if you dont meet this then tough.
Original post by Multitalented me
I still think it's harsh to deduct all the marks though as I know some other people who have been on the wrong end of it & they had spent a lot of time on it with their essays being of a good standard too :wink:

Well I will point out that time management is part of the skill, if you are leaving it so late that you miss the deadline by minutes, its obviously not as good as it can be. And tbh if they moved the deadline by 5 minutes, its not as if everyone would suddenly get it in on time, just do it EARLY and learn from this.

Like you could be doing the next one now rather than moaning on tsr :P
That is pretty harsh to be honest, we have a 5% penalty for one day, 10% for a week and then after that no marks at all.

No marks for being a few minutes late is ridiculous, so many things could happen that cause a student to miss it by a tiny amount. And people being self-righteous on this thread is unbelievably irritating - sometimes you cock up, and a stupidly strict deadline policy is just discouraging. I bet the majority of you would have been bitching if you'd been in the same situation.
You knew when the deadline was, no excuses!

We get capped at 40% if it's late (unless there's a good excuse/the office believes you), after a week we get nothing.
Pull your finger out of your arse and do it on time in future?

Coursework is easy to do in time since you can start it from day one.. I have projects which you can't really stop designing until a week before the deadline, and we just deal with it.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
That is pretty harsh to be honest, we have a 5% penalty for one day, 10% for a week and then after that no marks at all.

No marks for being a few minutes late is ridiculous, so many things could happen that cause a student to miss it by a tiny amount. And people being self-righteous on this thread is unbelievably irritating - sometimes you cock up, and a stupidly strict deadline policy is just discouraging. I bet the majority of you would have been bitching if you'd been in the same situation.

Last year I had an essay to hand in, I did it well before the deadline. In fact, I did it so much earlier that I forgot to hand it in until 3 hours after the deadline had closed.

So I have been in the same situation, but I (and most people here) understand that most people hand-in late because they spent most of the time doing bugger all, then crammed it overnight, then the printers break the following morning and they miss the deadline.
In some ways I do, but at the same time, why should you be allowed to give it in later than everyone else. It's your responsibility to get it in on time, it's really not that difficult.

Our uni has recently changed the rules now though. You can hand in late and still get marks, but it's capped at 40%. I think that's kind of OK, they pass, but they aren't going to get anything for it.
Reply 18
We have 5% deductions per day, no limit after that. So you'd have to submit it 20 days late to get 0.

Doesn't bother me, I always do assigns way in advance when I can to prevent my anxiety kicking in lol :smile:
Reply 19
I got away with 3 minutes late on a manual submission... It was a bit of a miracle i was able to get it in really cos they're usually out of that office like a bullet before the clock finishes chiming. The lecturer looked at the timestamp and let me off :redface:

I think late policy is something they need to standardise between unis though... You hear people here getting capped 10% per day... But at a push i'm pretty confident i can churn out coursework that gets better by more than 10 per day... It wouldn't be a strong incentive to start before deadline day for me.
The system here is cap at 40% for 1 to 7 days late then you get a 'no submission' mark that affects your credits.
I think we have a fair system, punishment for lateness while still encouraging people to hand something in during the 7 days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending