The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath for the non-party people?

Hey boys!

I have been thinking about applying to IMEE at the Uni of Bath for my choice of university study next year. The thing is I am not much of a party person an am generally put of by partying, vulgarity and such and I find it mainly annoying.

I live in Sweden and from what i have been able to find on the Internet the Uni of Bath offers everything I aspire for in the academic sense.

What I am afraid of is that the social life isn't for people of my kind. I do love to have fun, but I prefer sober, mature and intelligent forms of entertainment to the more party-my-ass-of mentality that often strikes at universities.

Am I out of luck here? Is the Uni of Bath just another in the line of unis where all but very few go to party instead of learn, and am I also wrong in the view I have of the academic side of the Uni?

Any response from people who go to/have gone to Bath would be appreciated. I can't make my mind up on this matter. There are plenty of schools in Sweden that offer similar courses, and being that they are close to home offer a completely different flexibility, but I would prefer to study in England.

TLDR; Is Bath for non-party people also?
Reply 1
(No greetings to females? :tongue: Unless you use "boys" equivalently to "guys" to refer to either gender in the general sense.)

Hi. Well, I'm the non-partying type and have studied here for almost two years now. There are generally students of all types from athletes to nerds to nerdy athletes. I had no trouble making friends with similar interests (in my case, nerdy interests; yay me).
(edited 12 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
I use boys to refer to people of either gender. :smile:

I am glad to hear Bath is more than a few YouTube videos can make you believe. How is Freshers' for those of my (our) kind?

I still remember the greeting week from where i go now as a rather horrifying time of nasty smells, hideous acts and plenty outbursts of idiocy. I would prefer not to experience such a thing again. :rolleyes:

Thank you for replying!
Reply 3
Have you also looked into Imperial?
Reply 4
I was told it's very expensive to live in London and figured that my student loans would be mile-high even if I lived in a "cheap" town and as such put if of before looking into it.

Would you recommend it? London is surely a lovely place and would make it a whole lot easier to travel home.
Reply 5
Original post by Xyllian
I am glad to hear Bath is more than a few YouTube videos can make you believe. How is Freshers' for those of my (our) kind?

I imagine nerds tend not to upload videos of themselves doing nerdy stuff.

Fresher's week tends to have its parties of course, but there other events as well such as film nights, quizzes, BBQs, walks together to enjoy the view. In all, make what you want to make of it. If there's something you want to do, chances are there will be others that want to do it as well, so you might as well get together, do it, and enjoy yourselves.
Reply 6
Original post by Angelus
I imagine nerds tend not to upload videos of themselves doing nerdy stuff.

Fresher's week tends to have its parties of course, but there other events as well such as film nights, quizzes, BBQs, walks together to enjoy the view. In all, make what you want to make of it. If there's something you want to do, chances are there will be others that want to do it as well, so you might as well get together, do it, and enjoy yourselves.

You're probably very right in what you say, thank you for calming my nerves. :smile:

Picking a Uni is quite the difficult task it seems, there are a whole lot to choose from for sure.
Original post by Xyllian
You're probably very right in what you say, thank you for calming my nerves. :smile:

Picking a Uni is quite the difficult task it seems, there are a whole lot to choose from for sure.

I've firmed them and I'm not the sort of person to go out and get pissed all the time. 'I do love to have fun, but I prefer sober, mature and intelligent forms of entertainment to the more party-my-ass-of mentality that often strikes at universities.' applies to me as well, so there are going to be other people with that mentality there.

I'll be doing maths there, hopefully.
Reply 8
Original post by Angelus
(No greetings to females? :tongue: Unless you use "boys" equivalently to "guys" to refer to either gender in the general sense.)

Hi. Well, I'm the non-partying type and have studied here for almost two years now. There are generally students of all types from athletes to nerds to nerdy athletes. I had no trouble making friends with similar interests (in my case, nerdy interests; yay me).

so if you were to categorize everyone into party and non-partying, what would the ratio be like? just a rough estimation.

of course, taking into account that you wouldn't know everyone in uni :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by yzarcemina
so if you were to categorize everyone into party and non-partying, what would the ratio be like? just a rough estimation.

of course, taking into account that you wouldn't know everyone in uni :smile:

Oh dear, this is going to be a rough estimation indeed. If I imagine the 100 or so students in my physics lectures, only around 20-30% appear to be the partying type. Of course, these are scientists so would tend to have a lower proportion of party-people.

So, Bath students in general 50:50 perhaps. Yes, I think I shall stick with that. You can probably find a significant chunk of the non-partying and socially awkward people hiding away in their rooms (including me :yep:).

(Of course, someone being a non-party person doesn't mean he/she is socially awkward.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
oh that's not too bad.. how are the clubs there anyway? i'm never been to a club before (i'm from malaysia btw and i've never even been to the clubs here so a really don't have anything to compare it to other than what i hear from ppl)

well even if the party population is high i'm sure they do other things as well right? :smile:

when i look at the clubs and societies they have i get excited! :biggrin: so many things i wanna try. anything you can recommend??
Reply 11
Original post by yzarcemina
[...]

Societies join anything you're interested in. The more you join, the more people with similar interests you can meet and get to know.
And yes. Someone being a party person does not mean he/she does not concentrate on work and get on with other productive things in their life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
same worry here
hopefully i will be studying business there....and yea i am from hk
do u mind knowing a girl called ME who is also keen on bath??lol
so if u hate partying, i will certainly be ur mate coz i am those fooling around(not partying) typeeeee:biggrin:.....tell me more about you ok???:smile:

Original post by Xyllian
Hey boys!

I have been thinking about applying to IMEE at the Uni of Bath for my choice of university study next year. The thing is I am not much of a party person an am generally put of by partying, vulgarity and such and I find it mainly annoying.

I live in Sweden and from what i have been able to find on the Internet the Uni of Bath offers everything I aspire for in the academic sense.

What I am afraid of is that the social life isn't for people of my kind. I do love to have fun, but I prefer sober, mature and intelligent forms of entertainment to the more party-my-ass-of mentality that often strikes at universities.

Am I out of luck here? Is the Uni of Bath just another in the line of unis where all but very few go to party instead of learn, and am I also wrong in the view I have of the academic side of the Uni?

Any response from people who go to/have gone to Bath would be appreciated. I can't make my mind up on this matter. There are plenty of schools in Sweden that offer similar courses, and being that they are close to home offer a completely different flexibility, but I would prefer to study in England.

Reply 13
Hi, I wanted to know where can i find out which accommodations at Bath offer 39 week lets??

Can u please help me out ?? I'm really lost here!!

Thankz!!! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Xyllian
Hey boys!

Yo.

I live next door, in Bristol.
Both Bristol and Bath are very neutral on the party scene.
You can (There are lots of excellent clubs and bars) but you don't have to. :smile:

Bath has less clubs and bars than Bristol - Bath in general is far smaller than Bristol.

So it's nice in that sense. And if you ever change your mind, Bristol is only like 30 minutes bus journey. :smile:

Although I'm not too sure if you'll meet many other people who share your enthusiasm for being sober in England :P
Reply 15
I would like to know what the social side of life at Bath is like - I don't go out partying that much, but there are enough opportunities to, right? Trying to decide between Bath and Bristol for physics :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by levare
I would like to know what the social side of life at Bath is like - I don't go out partying that much, but there are enough opportunities to, right? Trying to decide between Bath and Bristol for physics :smile:

You have wonderful taste in subject.

Here is a link to an old thread regarding Bath's social life which I feel contains helpful responses; it may shed some light if you haven't come across it before.

I'd say there are enough opportunities, otherwise the party-type students here would not survive for too long. Also, some people at Bath appear to travel to Bristol if they want a larger night out than usual, since the two aren't far apart either.
Reply 17
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest