The Student Room Group

Government to monitor your emails, texts and web use

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
While I don't think current government in this country is necessarily "bad/evil", it's when they bring in legislation like this that makes me question whether or not they're competant enough to actually run the country without overly interfering in people's lives.

Are you sure? You really think it's merely incompetence that causes them for some reason to want to erode all our civil liberties?

It is obvious this has nothing to do with terrorism. People who say something against the government in their private facebook messages will be put on a database and blacklisted for jobs, university, loans, visas, entry, travelling abroad etc.

Not only do not enough people watch the news to even know it's happening, none of those who do care enough to actually do anything. I don't know whether the British people are in denial, or are genuinely just that stupid, but as the country is descending into fascism and it seems few people care enough to even notice.
I believe this pic is appropriate for this thread.

Reply 62
Original post by Barden
If things are as bad as you say, then this is a mere drop in the ocean surely?

If you think that the government, councils, quangos, intelligence services and private companies having unlimited access to every single citizen's private communications and recording what websites you visit for the purposes of scrutinising everything you do online and building a file on your personal habits is insignificant, then that is deeply worrying.

However I do think it's representative of the complacency of the British people. There will come a point where it'll be too late to do anything about it, and we'll be wondering why nothing more was done sooner.

We no longer have the right to freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of association, right to privacy, freedom from surveillance, freedom to peaceful protest outside Parliament, right to be innocent until proven guilty, power to confine innocent people to house arrest, and a power to extradite people on charges without evidence etc etc.

It is not accurate to say we live in a liberal democracy anymore.
Reply 63
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
oh yeah?

Lets look at the bill for this shall we...

Data centre 1

- God knows how many TB storage
- Employees and site managers who are responsible for the operation of this centre
- Runs on a backbone available to tier 2 ISPs
- Requires expensive construction of the building itself
- These include land taxes etc
- It will involve private and public companies (BIG MISTAKE)
- Private companies know how to milk the government purse

In short, you are looking at a lot of money and this is just ONE data centre in an average size city and I doubt even that will be enough to store/handle the data for more than 200,000 people.

Then you have the Data Protection Act which still exists believe it or not!

You got that from the BBC comments section on the article.
Reply 64
Take to the streets. You think last summer was bad? Think again coalition.

It's not like I have anything to hide, but I think taking away civil liberty for the masses for the sake of a few is so, so stupid.

This is from a supporter, until recently.
Original post by Kiss
You got that from the BBC comments section on the article.

I did?

last time I checked I used my own knowledge and not some BBC article. You tit.
Reply 66
Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Got more important things to be worrying about than some random MP reading through my emails tbh.
Reply 67
Original post by EKR93

Got more important things to be worrying about than some random MP reading through my emails tbh.

So you would be okay with someone opening post you send/receive? Would you be okay if they put microphones in your house? Or sending people round to your house to follow you around and make notes?

Can't believe the Lib Dems are supporting this idea. Being in partial power really has made me see them in a different light.
Reply 69
Original post by moya
So you would be okay with someone opening post you send/receive? Would you be okay if they put microphones in your house? Or sending people round to your house to follow you around and make notes?

Emails, online usage is quite different to physically following you around all day. I don't obsess over my computer like some people do.

Not that bothered about someone opening my post though, I don't get anything juicy. It does make me laugh when people get all outraged that people could see what they're up to as though their lives are uber interesting or something. You're just another person in a long line, you're not going to be fascinating unless you're a threat.
Aren't they able to do this with good reason now anyway? Monitoring phone calls/texts I mean?
Original post by EKR93

Such a pathetic stance.

We are meant to have the right to privacy.
Reply 72
Original post by original_username
Such a pathetic stance.

Except people post their lives on the likes of Facebook and Google monitor quite a lot of what you're doing anyway. Yeah, we so have the "right" to privacy don't we. :rolleyes:
Original post by EKR93
Except people post their lives on the likes of Facebook and Google monitor quite a lot of what you're doing anyway. Yeah, we so have the "right" to privacy don't we. :rolleyes:

We do.

People choose to post what they want on facebook, and control who see's their posts. Others don't post anything on facebook.

Google gather information to target ads at you and you have to agree to their privacy agreement anyway, you can also change google so that it doesn't gather the information on you. Choice again

I don't remember being consulted about this bill. But then again I don't remember choosing this crappy coalition either.
Such a pathetic stance.

People have the right to voice their own opinions too, it doesn't make them pathetic. If they genuinely aren't concerned with this, that's their business and there's nothing wrong with them disagreeing with you to be fair. I don't support this bill at all though, I don't see how it is necessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
So much for the Conservatives. Everything is changing as we know it. The NHS, all this monitoring and the recent panic buying fuel debacle.
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Wait... this isn't some really really bad April Fools prank by the BBC is it?...

Had considered that, but not surprised if it is real with the way things are going.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
People have the right to voice their own opinions too, it doesn't make them pathetic. If they genuinely aren't concerned with this, that's their business and there's nothing wrong with them disagreeing with you to be fair. I don't support this bill at all though, I don't see how it is necessary.

So in the same sense I can voice my opinion on how pathetic their stance/ argument is. Maybe weak would have been a better word to use, I wasn't calling the poster pathetic, just their view point on this topic :wink:

And you're right, it's totally unnecessary. The 'threats' that we keep hearing about seem to be being monitored effectively as it is.
this is a ridiculous invasion of privacy.There is not much seriously wrong most people do on the internet and it is not fair that their private chats and things the government shouldn't have the right to see,are going to be forced to be given to the government to check through.I agree that this should be allowed for people under suspicion so that virus abusers can be caught and prosecuted.
So in the same sense I can voice my opinion on how pathetic their stance/ argument is. Maybe weak would have been a better word to use, I wasn't calling the poster pathetic, just their view point on this topic :wink:

And you're right, it's totally unnecessary. The 'threats' that we keep hearing about seem to be being monitored effectively as it is.

Exactly, I thought they already could monitor potential threats so I don't see why they need to do the same to ordinary people going about their business. Just another excuse to snoop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending