The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
A week before is universally fine, i think. A week after is possible, but more difficult and is unusual, unlike at Cambridge.

I presume this is ok (and free) if you want to help out at interviews or whatever? I quite fancy spending an extra week or so there in December. Can pretty much anyone do this or is there generally quite high demand?
Reply 1101
Original post by michael321
I presume this is ok (and free) if you want to help out at interviews or whatever? I quite fancy spending an extra week or so there in December. Can pretty much anyone do this or is there generally quite high demand?

It'll vary by college; at Merton quite a lot of people applied and didn't get asked to do it - they try to balance it so there are people from every subject there and so on. But yeah, people who helped at interviews kept their rooms for the interview period for free, and got free food for the time too (some colleges pay their helpers quite well I think, but Merton does not).

Depends on college - free accommodation/transport would be a minimum, and i think some colleges even resort to paying their students to stay for interviews/open days. The 'demand' is probably subject-specific, as they would want a decent mix of subjects helping out. They are good fun though - i recommend volunteering where possible.
Original post by dbmag9
It'll vary by college; at Merton quite a lot of people applied and didn't get asked to do it - they try to balance it so there are people from every subject there and so on. But yeah, people who helped at interviews kept their rooms for the interview period for free, and got free food for the time too (some colleges pay their helpers quite well I think, but Merton does not).

Original post by nexttime
Depends on college - free accommodation/transport would be a minimum, and i think some colleges even resort to paying their students to stay for interviews/open days. The 'demand' is probably subject-specific, as they would want a decent mix of subjects helping out. They are good fun though - i recommend volunteering where possible.

Did you say FREE FOOD?!?! :awesome::dance::eek4:

And possible money too? This sounds very interesting. I shall definitely apply.
Did you say FREE FOOD?!?! :awesome::dance::eek4:

And possible money too? This sounds very interesting. I shall definitely apply.

hahahah

In my college you have to be a 2nd year and you have to apply because it's popular. Some places automatically went to the JCR President, Academic Rep and Welfare reps (the latter because they are peer support trained, in case any candidates need some welfare support - other people who had done peer support training were given preference too if they applied). You get free accommodation and meals.

I would've applied but I went on the ski trip instead!
Original post by Poppyxx
In my college you have to be a 2nd year and you have to apply because it's popular. Some places automatically went to the JCR President, Academic Rep and Welfare reps (the latter because they are peer support trained, in case any candidates need some welfare support - other people who had done peer support training were given preference too if they applied). You get free accommodation and meals.

I would've applied but I went on the ski trip instead!

which college are you at, if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by tooambitious
which college are you at, if you dont mind me asking?

I don't say on TSR - mainly because I like to maintain some privacy. Otherwise putting together my name, subject and college (plus other personal info I mention on here - netball captain. JCR position etc) would mean I could be easily found. The logical solution would be to change my username, but I can't be bothered.

All I'll say is that I'm at one of the central colleges, and there are no other frequent posters on TSR from my college. Well unless they're doing the same as me and being evasive about what college they are at!
Original post by Poppyxx
I don't say on TSR - mainly because I like to maintain some privacy. Otherwise putting together my name, subject and college (plus other personal info I mention on here - netball captain. JCR position etc) would mean I could be easily found. The logical solution would be to change my username, but I can't be bothered.

All I'll say is that I'm at one of the central colleges, and there are no other frequent posters on TSR from my college. Well unless they're doing the same as me and being evasive about what college they are at!

completely understood! :smile:

I seem to remember you're going to Trinity (this will be a bit embarrassing if you're not! :redface: ) so here is a more college-specific answer:

I helped out with the interviews in my second year and, yes, the demand is quite high. We got free accommodation and free food (yep, those other smilies you used in another post are entirely justified - our helper badges and bright yellow student helper polo shirts allowed us to take whatever food we wanted at mealtimes. It was rather a let-down when I came back for Hilary term and had to start paying attention to how much the different options cost again! ). We also got a small allowance for getting food at the weekends at the end of 8th and 9th week when hall wasn't open, and for buying drinks and nibbles in order to host a party for interviewees applying for our subject. The other perks were a Β£70 book voucher and a free high-table standard dinner in Hilary term. When all the interviewees had gone home, we were treated to mulled wine and mince pies and the three team leaders gave out 'awards' to the rest of the helpers.

So yes, definitely apply to help out! It's good fun and a lovely time to be able to relax in Oxford. :smile:
Original post by RampantLion
What's the situation with May balls? Does each college have it's own one? Are you allowed to go to other college's balls? And I think i heard somewhere that Magdalen, New and Worcester have huge ones... Is this correct?

I don't know if every college has a ball - over a 3 year cycle I'd expect the vast majority do.

The Commemoration Balls are the big ones - normally held in the 9th week of Trinity. These a white tie balls. There's a triennial cycle with certain colleges holding theirs in certain years of the cycle i.e. Magdalen in the first year (although Oriel seem to have joined them), New in the 2nd, traditionally Worcester in the 3rd (but now it's also ChCh, Trinity and St Johns).

I could be wrong there.

Tickets for Commemoration Balls are the hardest to come by.

Throughout Trinity term (and the odd one or two in other terms) there are Summer Balls at a number of colleges - black tie and a LOT easier to get a ticket for. Normally around the Β£80 mark for a non-dining ticket, for Commemoration Balls non-dining tickets are well over Β£100.

They are great events to go to - people often get a group of friends together to go to a ball at another college.

Forgot Merton - they do a Winter Ball every 3 years (I think) which I believe is White Tie
(edited 11 years ago)
What's the situation with May balls? Does each college have it's own one? Are you allowed to go to other college's balls? And I think i heard somewhere that Magdalen, New and Worcester have huge ones... Is this correct?

There are commemoration balls which are the big balls in the summer (9th week). They rotate on a triennial cycle between Magdalen, New then Worcester, Trinity, ChCh and John's in the 3rd year.

Other colleges do host their own smaller balls though yes.
Thanks for the response guys :smile: How do you come across tickets these then? Do members of the college of the ball get preference?

members get priority.

They are usually allocated at least 2 tickets (i.e. them and a guest minimum).

Some colleges will hold a ballot for members to get more tickets.

Alumni are normally offered tickets as well.

Then whatever is left is open to the rest of the University, normally through the ball website.
Original post by Poppyxx
I don't know if every college has a ball - over a 3 year cycle I'd expect the vast majority do.

The Commemoration Balls are the big ones - normally held in the 9th week of Trinity. These a white tie balls. There's a triennial cycle with certain colleges holding theirs in certain years of the cycle i.e. Magdalen in the first year (although Oriel seem to have joined them), New in the 2nd, traditionally Worcester in the 3rd (but now it's also ChCh, Trinity and St Johns).

I could be wrong there.

Tickets for Commemoration Balls are the hardest to come by.

Throughout Trinity term (and the odd one or two in other terms) there are Summer Balls at a number of colleges - black tie and a LOT easier to get a ticket for. Normally around the Β£80 mark for a non-dining ticket, for Commemoration Balls non-dining tickets are well over Β£100.

They are great events to go to - people often get a group of friends together to go to a ball at another college.

Forgot Merton - they do a Winter Ball every 3 years (I think) which I believe is White Tie

Its not only commemoration balls that can stipulate white tie, although black tie is probably more common. Merton's can be white or black tie. St Catz also has a winter ball every 3 years. Some balls are actually very cheap at around Β£30, although at this stage you do have the question the status of 'ball'. A few colleges have had to cancel these cheaper ones in recent years due to lack of sales (at considerable expense to the JCRs in question).

Thank you very much for the info :smile:

Take a look at Magdalen Ball's website for some more info :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1114
Oriel's ball is a commem one this year; I think this might be a newish thing for them though. Not quite sure what the current situation with Merton is, since our 750th is coming up, and I think there's a ball planned for that, so I don't know what effect that'll have on the normal three-year cycle.
Original post by dbmag9
Oriel's ball is a commem one this year; I think this might be a newish thing for them though. Not quite sure what the current situation with Merton is, since our 750th is coming up, and I think there's a ball planned for that, so I don't know what effect that'll have on the normal three-year cycle.

The anniversary falls within the normal 3 year cycle, if you consider academic years. The JCR will need to decide if it wants to fund a second winter ball in addition to the planned special summer one (which i believe college intends to run instead of the normal JCR committee). At least, this is what college staff were saying last year.
Reply 1116
Thanks! How quickly do these commem balls sell out then?

Fairly sure most of them sold out some part through last term. A bit annoying, since I wanted an excuse to get some white tie on, but ah well. :p:
What happens about accomadation? I haven't been sent anything and cannot find anything on my college website. Most of my friends are talking about applying for accomadation early to be sure to get it, how can I do this?

Thanks
Reply 1118
Original post by james22
What happens about accomadation? I haven't been sent anything and cannot find anything on my college website. Most of my friends are talking about applying for accomadation early to be sure to get it, how can I do this?

Thanks

Some colleges let you choose a price band for accomodation, for others (including Merton) you just show up in October and get told your room, unless you have some special requirements. If you haven't been sent anything from your college don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 1119
Thanks! How quickly do these commem balls sell out then?

Magdalen Ball sold out its 1800 places pretty fast. In fact, it was so popular that tickets never went on public sale, so you'll have to have friends with a Magdalener to come as a guest if that's the ball you want to go to :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest