-glycogen alpha glucose sub units, cellulose beta glucose sub units
-Glycogen is highly branched cellulose is straight chained

cellulose has hydrogen bond??
Original post by otrivine
-glycogen forms glycosidic bond and cellulose hydrogen bonds
-Glycogen is branched and cellulose is not
- cellulose is like a twisted helix

Not enough detail
You're right to say that cellulose has hydrogen bonds but both structures have glycoside bonds (glycogen has 1,4-gylcosidic bonds and 1,6-glycosdic bonds where it is branded) cellulose only has 1,4-glycosidic bonds.
Or that in glycogen all glucose molecules are in the same orientation and that in cellulose adjacent glucose molecules are rotated 180 degrees to each other.

I'd give you 1/4 for that one.

Original post by salma25
-glycogen 1-4 and 1-6 glycosidic bonds, cellulose has 1-4 glycosidic bonds only
-glycogen alpha glucose sub units, cellulose beta glucose sub units
-Glycogen is highly branched cellulose is straight chained

This gets 3/4. Almost perfect answer, one more point needed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Illuminati
Not enough detail
You're right to say that cellulose has hydrogen bonds but both structures have glycoside bonds (glycogen has 1,4-gylcosidic bonds and 1,6-glycosdic bonds where it is branded) cellulose only has 1,4-glycosidic bonds.
Or that in glycogen all glucose molecules are in the same orientation and that in cellulose adjacent glucose molecules are rotated 180 degrees to each other.

so would i get how many marks out of 4?but i should get a mark for branched?
What do you have to know for measuring biodiversity

simpsons index
quadrats -transects
is there a belt transect?

tunnelling
shaking the tree and catch the insects that fall on white paper
pitfall

i might be making up names i tend to that quite a lot
so would i get how many marks out of 4?but i should get a mark for branched?

glycell.jpg

Mark scheme ^^
glycell.jpg

Mark scheme ^^

thanks :wink: can i have 2 really hard questions on disease chapter and 2 hard ones for biodiversity part
thanks :wink: can i have 2 really hard questions on disease chapter and 2 hard ones for biodiversity part

I'll do one for each coz I should start on my own revision, I'm just procrastinating by being on this thread in the first place (I did F212 last year ) :s-smilie:

Describe how cytokines can stimulate specific groups of B lymphocytes to divide

and describe the impotence of species evenness in determining the biodiversity of a habitat.

(sorry if they aren't hard enough)
I'll do one for each coz I should start on my own revision, I'm just procrastinating by being on this thread in the first place (I did F212 last year ) :s-smilie:

and describe the impotence of species evenness in determining the biodiversity of a habitat.

no problem :wink: sorry for wasting your time :redface:
1) Cytokines have a specific receptor site which is complementary to the antigen and can be able to activate the B lymphocytes.
2) you are able to calculate simpson index diversity. High species evenness means a higher biodiversity. Also, species evenness is the number of individuals of each species
no problem :wink: sorry for wasting your time :redface:
1) Cytokines have a specific receptor site which is complementary to the antigen and can be able to activate the B lymphocytes.
2) you are able to calculate simpson index diversity. High species evenness means a higher biodiversity. Also, species evenness is the number of individuals of each species

1) Cytokines are molecules not proteins, they don't have receptor sites they bind to receptor sites (on the B lymphocyte). They are complementary in shape to the receptor site on the cell surface membrane of B lymphocytes to stimulate mitosis of the B lymphocytes.

2) (measures), abundance / numbers, of individuals in each species ;
species evenness is more quantitative than species richness ; ora
high(er) species evenness indicates high(er) biodiversity ; ora
low species evenness indicates, dominance by / high abundance of, one / few, species ; ora
used to calculate (Simpson’s) Index of Diversity

I should have said that both were out of 3. You're not wasting my time btw, I'm wasting my own, A2 biology makes me miss all this AS stuff I used to hate.
1) Cytokines are molecules not proteins, they don't have receptor sites they bind to receptor sites (on the B lymphocyte). They are complementary in shape to the receptor site on the cell surface membrane of B lymphocytes to stimulate mitosis of the B lymphocytes.

2) (measures), abundance / numbers, of individuals in each species ;
species evenness is more quantitative than species richness ; ora
high(er) species evenness indicates high(er) biodiversity ; ora
low species evenness indicates, dominance by / high abundance of, one / few, species ; ora
used to calculate (Simpson’s) Index of Diversity

I should have said that both were out of 3. You're not wasting my time btw, I'm wasting my own, A2 biology makes me miss all this AS stuff I used to hate.

i am doing A2 as well bio unit 4 and 5 stressing unit 5 is torture! i like unit 4 . so how many marks would i get ?
i am doing A2 as well bio unit 4 and 5 stressing unit 5 is torture! i like unit 4 . so how many marks would i get ?

I'd give you 1/3 for the first one and 3/3 for the second. I loved unit 4, so much fun, everything I loved about Biology. I think unit 5 is just harder because there are a lot of new stuff and so many of the questions a large chunk of the questions will be application or suggest. Are you resitting this module then?
I'd give you 1/3 for the first one and 3/3 for the second. I loved unit 4, so much fun, everything I loved about Biology. I think unit 5 is just harder because there are a lot of new stuff and so many of the questions a large chunk of the questions will be application or suggest. Are you resitting this module then?

yes im resting unit 2 got a C in jan 2012 lost lots of marks on biodiversity ! but i am doing unit 4 and 5 for the first time and covered both of the units in 3 months only so really scared:redface:
Reply 214

Describe how lung cancer is caused (12 marks)
Include in your answer 2 relevant mutagens?
yes im resting unit 2 got a C in jan 2012 lost lots of marks on biodiversity ! but i am doing unit 4 and 5 for the first time and covered both of the units in 3 months only so really scared:redface:

:K: woah F214and F215 in the space of one exam period, all the best of luck to you :smile:
Original post by Dan12
Describe how lung cancer is caused (12 marks)
Include in your answer 2 relevant mutagens?

there's no point asking me questions I sat this module a year ago, I don't even know why I'm here :getmecoat: thanks for thinking of me though
:K: woah F214and F215 in the space of one exam period, all the best of luck to you :smile:

thanks i need it :smile: was wondering after 24th may if we can ask each other questions on unit 5 bio :wink:
Reply 218
there's no point asking me questions I sat this module a year ago, I don't even know why I'm here :getmecoat: thanks for thinking of me though

I'm an A2 student as well; this could be a synoptic question which relates to mutations. This would be a brilliant question for F215
Original post by Dan12
I'm an A2 student as well; this could be a synoptic question which relates to mutations. This would be a brilliant question for F215

K I'll give it a try. Tar in cigarettes smoke contains carcinogens which are reaches the lungs via inhalation. The carcinogens can enter the nucleus and cause a mutation by altering DNA. The mutation may lead to uncontrollable cell division (cell divisions exceed Hayflick limit), apoptosis doesn't happen so this progresses to form a tumour.

Dunno how many marks that is but I doubt it's 12!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending