The Student Room Group

AQA Government & Politics May 2012

I couldn't find a thread for it so thought I'd start one :biggrin:

How's everyone's revision going? What topics are you focussing on and what are you expecting to come up on the 25-markers?

I'm primarily focussing on Participation & Voting Behaviour and Pressure Groups for Unit 1, I might also try and plan some things for Electoral Systems in case one of my other two get a dodgy question :rolleyes:

Unit 2 I like The British Constitution, The Core Executive and Multi-Level Governance :yes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
YAY A THREAD HAS BEEN MADE FOR THIS!
I'm resitting both Unit 1 and 2 and I am focusing on the same for Unit 1... I've not even touched electoral systems because I hated it!
For Unit 2 I am not sure whether to miss one out or not, still not decided.

I have no idea what is going to come up though and I was hoping to find someone who does, do you have any ideas?

Thanks and good luck.... 1 week to revise for unit 1!!
Reply 2
Hey! :biggrin:

Gah I hate electoral systems too! But I hate political parties even more, so I think it's a good back up to have in case the questions in Participation & Voting Behaviour or Pressure Groups are dire.

Would you advise doing all four for Unit 2 then?! I'm not retaking it's the first time I'm sitting it, so I'm kinda worried and nervous! :colondollar: I always assumed everyone left one (or two if they're daredevils).

Absolutely no clue. I'm scared that if I did think something would come up and said about it, it'd probably tempt fate and not come up to spite me :frown:
Hello there! :smile:

Resitting GOVP2 for the second time.... (What can I say? Third time's the charm.... :P) We were a lazy class so we only managed to cover the British Constitution and Parliament. (And when I say lazy I mean really lazy - we were a class of 8! :P)

None of us could really get our heads around the concept of an unwritten constitution (which is a likely 25 mark question - whether or not we should have a written one) but since moving on to doing US Politics at A2 it's easier to understand so even if you have to retake you might even find it easier to sit.

Personally I only learnt two topics for both papers - (for Paper One we studied Participation and Voting Behaviour; Electoral Systems and Pressurel Parties and I learnt the first two) but I would recommend that if you're not confident with two then learn three - four's too much!

In terms of questions I think something about whether or not the House of Lords should be elected in will definitely crop up in the Parliament topic.

Urr from past experience for the voting behaviour topic (my favourite topic! :biggrin: :P) it's vital to literally recite the four main different theories on how people vote off by heart. (So Party Identification Theory, -plus definitions of partisian alignment/dealignment-Sociological Theory -plus definitions of class alignment/dealignmnet-, Dominant Idealogy Theory and Rational Thinking Theory (...Think thats what it is called :P))

And that's all I can recall :P So how do people revise for politics? I just read the textbook :P Oh if anyone wants my notes (on a word document) for GOVP1 - Voting Behaviour and Electoral systems - i'll be happy to send them to you :smile: (Well, at least I think that they are complete notes... not really sure haha
Reply 4
Hey guys, I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of info... I'm a private candidate taking all four units this summer (3A and 4A for A2) but I haven't been able to get hold of the questions that came up in January this year. I really want to know what they were as obv they won't be the same again next week...

For unit 1 I'm not doing voting behaviour (way too much info for me to get my head round!!) and unit 2 I'm focusing on The British Constitution and Parliament with core exec as a back up!

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 5
any one got the question paper for jan 2012 unit 1?
Reply 6
Original post by unknown123
any one got the question paper for jan 2012 unit 1?

I second this question! I need it too! And unit 3A if anyone is also an A2-taker please! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by APersonCalledClara

Oh if anyone wants my notes (on a word document) for GOVP1 - Voting Behaviour and Electoral systems - i'll be happy to send them to you :smile: (Well, at least I think that they are complete notes... not really sure haha

Please can I have the word document on the electoral systems, it would be very much appreciated? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Oh if anyone wants my notes (on a word document) for GOVP1 - Voting Behaviour and Electoral systems - i'll be happy to send them to you :smile: (Well, at least I think that they are complete notes... not really sure haha

Is there any chance I could have a peek at your notes too please? :smile:
any notes would be lovely :3
Reply 10
yeah I'd appreciate this too!
Hello there! :smile:

Resitting GOVP2 for the second time.... (What can I say? Third time's the charm.... :P) We were a lazy class so we only managed to cover the British Constitution and Parliament. (And when I say lazy I mean really lazy - we were a class of 8! :P)

None of us could really get our heads around the concept of an unwritten constitution (which is a likely 25 mark question - whether or not we should have a written one) but since moving on to doing US Politics at A2 it's easier to understand so even if you have to retake you might even find it easier to sit.

Personally I only learnt two topics for both papers - (for Paper One we studied Participation and Voting Behaviour; Electoral Systems and Pressurel Parties and I learnt the first two) but I would recommend that if you're not confident with two then learn three - four's too much!

In terms of questions I think something about whether or not the House of Lords should be elected in will definitely crop up in the Parliament topic.

Urr from past experience for the voting behaviour topic (my favourite topic! :biggrin: :P) it's vital to literally recite the four main different theories on how people vote off by heart. (So Party Identification Theory, -plus definitions of partisian alignment/dealignment-Sociological Theory -plus definitions of class alignment/dealignmnet-, Dominant Idealogy Theory and Rational Thinking Theory (...Think thats what it is called :P))

And that's all I can recall :P So how do people revise for politics? I just read the textbook :P Oh if anyone wants my notes (on a word document) for GOVP1 - Voting Behaviour and Electoral systems - i'll be happy to send them to you :smile: (Well, at least I think that they are complete notes... not really sure haha

Could I have the notes for the Voting behaviour document :colondollar:
I'm going to do Political Parties and Elections; can't stand Pressure Groups.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 13
Is everyone only doing two for tomorrow then?! :eek:
Reply 14
Participation and Voting Behaviour and Electoral Systems for me, although I don't mind Political parties. Pressure groups however... Yuck.
Anyone got any question guesses?
Reply 16
Original post by Justin Beese
Anyone got any question guesses?

None :frown: you?
Reply 17
Political parties and Voting behaviour. I really hope they get easy questions last chance *gulp* any extra notes on these two would be greatly appreciated as I would like some contrasting ideas.
I RAN OUT OF TIME SO BAD!!!!! :frown: And I didn't like the Political parties question, so what I did manage to get written was pretty shocking anyway :')
Reply 19
Well, what did everyone think of that?

I did Voting Behaviour and Pressure Group topics - only question I don't really know much about was the 10-marker of Voting Behaviour.

I basically ended up describing the valence model of issue-voting and attributing it to success of the televised elections, using the data from the extract as an example.
Second paragraph I did an 'against' argument, suggesting primacy factors could have caused the decline between the time of the poll and the GE, or suggesting that the poll could have been a margin of error.

Conclusion was that although it temporarily affected the voting behaviour and contributed to a rise in support for the Lib Dems, it ended up retracting to normal before the actual General Election, resulting in a 3rd place finish for the Lib Dems both on popular vote and amount of seats :biggrin:

My definition of social movements for the 5-marker on Pressure Groups could've been a bit shaky though, but I think my examples and referral to the extract were okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending