The Student Room Group

Your honest view of shy/non-confident people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by TheIronist
By definition, being shy will mean being less confident in public and being more easily intimated by social relations. So your argument is basically circular. A shy person is "better" (and I don't even know what that might mean) than a non-shy person because the non-shy person is not shy.

i don't get how a person can be less confident in public. as said, what use is such a person?
Depends. What "use" do other people have?
They're still probably more use than some narrow minded person who cannot see things from other people's points of view.
Original post by hannahchan
:biggrin: Loool that's true!! (Same for me too) btw what degree are you doing?

Philosophy... It is interesting but at the same time... Fun to wind up non-philosopher friends with though! :biggrin: you?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Reply 104
Original post by jo d
I'm just citing my opinion. I don't see why non-confident people should be tolerated.

You sound like an awful, awful person...
(edited 11 years ago)
He's doing this on TSR, where there'll be a ****load of shy people so he can get a reaction. Obvious troll is obvious.
I always have had a shy feeling (if that makes sense) but since starting college i've tried to make every effort to talk to people and make friends. It used to be daunting at first but you have to do your best to get out of your comfort zone because it eventually it will feel entirely normal. :smile:
Having said that I don't know how anyone could look down on someone for being shy, its one of the most stupid things i've ever heard.
I'm shy/quiet myself so I don't mind others who are the same.
I do prefer listening to talking but I have many moments where I can't shut up . I find it easier to speak in smaller groups than bigger groups, I'm usually very quiet around a big group as there are so many bigger personalities than mine. I don't mind if I'm not speaking to anyone either I don't mind my own company as I'm really independent . They're people don't understand shy/quiet people and can't understand why they don't talk as much as others.
Original post by RetroRocker
Philosophy... It is interesting but at the same time... Fun to wind up non-philosopher friends with though! :biggrin: you?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Oh I don't do degrees yet but I did RE. and that was pretty bad when mostly everyone was christian and I was in the minority of atheists.

Arguments happened all the time :frown:.

:biggrin: I think I should have picked philosophy instead but I bet at university it's harder!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hannahchan
Oh I don't do degrees yet but I did RE. and that was pretty bad when mostly everyone was christian and I was in the minority of atheists.

Arguments happened all the time :frown:.

:biggrin: I think I should have picked philosophy instead but I bet at university it's harder!

I never did philosophy at A-level etc, so I can't really compare, but people I know who did do philosophy before degree-level say its completely different to A-levely type stuff...

At school we had the whole atheist/christian divide in our friend group... There were 3 or 4 of us who were atheists and everyone else was christian or beleived in a God of some form, but not in a religion - we used to have massive debates about it in the common room - cause we were cool! :biggrin: I was always really quiet about it cause although I'm a bit of a millitant atheist, I didn't want to upset anybody cause the christians were all really nice people! :colondollar:

Had a similar thing going on with all the tories against the minority of us who were leftys, which I never really got envolved in either! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending