The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by carehow
Question spamming, considering applying to Manchester...

Is the fact that Manchester is a big University daunting?

For anybody who knows - how good is the student support? (I have a learning disability and am autistic.)

As a student, how much money do you tend to have to spend on activities? (I take music lessons, and whilst I'd have no qualms about giving them up if I had to, I'd like to continue. :tongue: ) Are there a lot of societies? (I look at the website, but websites aren't always accurate.)

The size of UoM could be daunting to some, but I found it to be epic. I visited smaller Universities but they just didn't have the same epic feeling that UoMs size has.

For student support regarding disabilities you will deal with the disability support office, they are fantastic. They will help you with claiming for disability support allowance, help you with anything you need from the University (study aids etc) and offer courses for specific problems. They're also available whenever you need them and reply to e-mails very fast. They really are immensely useful.

The UoM Union website has recently been remade (they seem to do it every year, it's frustrating), there are a LOT of societies, far more than what is advertised on the Union website, in welcome week if you go to the union and down Oxford road you will be able to check out all of the societies and join up if you want to. Regarding music classes etc the university should have a society set-up for it and therefore the events will be heavily subsidised. I can't really give you an estimate on how much money you'll have available as every students funds seem to vary dramatically depending on bursaries, jobs, grants etc.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by carehow
Question spamming, considering applying to Manchester...

Is the fact that Manchester is a big University daunting?

For anybody who knows - how good is the student support? (I have a learning disability and am autistic.)

As a student, how much money do you tend to have to spend on activities? (I take music lessons, and whilst I'd have no qualms about giving them up if I had to, I'd like to continue. :tongue: ) Are there a lot of societies? (I look at the website, but websites aren't always accurate.)

In all honesty, I've never found it daunting. Universities are always so large that a significant number of people will be (in the nicest way possible) irrelevant to you. At Manchester, it's just that a few more people who are irrelevant to you (but just as many who are relevant to you, IYSWIM).

When you first come to the university, they have students in 'Ask Me' hoodies who can point you in the right direction if you're lost. The campus isn't unmanageably large either.

You can spend as much as you like on activities, within your own budget. That budget is different for everyone, so we can't put a specific figure on it for you. There is, I believe, some form of student orchestra, and you might be able to organise music lessons through them. Usually, the cheapest way to do activities is via a university society. There is a list of non-sports societies, but they have recently been rebuilding the website and I'm unsure how complete it is. Sports societies are here.

I don't have much direct experience with the support services, but a friend has received truly excellent support with their mental health (better than that which is offered by the NHS), and I haven't heard anything bad about the services.
To the international students..did you regret not bringing anything in particular from home? I know the university said that we can get most stuff cheaply in Manchester.

Another question is what exactly would we need for our room? I already have cutlery and a bedding pack sorted.
Original post by bounty_killa
To the international students..did you regret not bringing anything in particular from home? I know the university said that we can get most stuff cheaply in Manchester.

Another question is what exactly would we need for our room? I already have cutlery and a bedding pack sorted.

For your room, you might like a desk lamp. You will also need coat hangers, and in some halls a bin isn't provided. However, all of these items are sold cheaply in Sainsburys, Wilkinsons and elsewhere, so there's no need to worry about bringing them. A radio / iPod & speakers is also a good investment, but again it's probably not worth bringing them from home as they are available fairly cheaply in the UK, and you would have to faff about with changing plugs and so on. To be honest though, almost everything you need will (a) become apparent fairly rapidly, and (b) be easily available in Manchester, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I think the best way to think about what to bring to uni is thinking through what you use on a day-to-day basis - clothes, toothbrush and so on. Remember that although you are catered you will still need some basic cooking equipment, because you won't be catered for lunches & weekends. Look around your room and think what you use infrequently, but is necessary (a sewing kit, for instance). Think about the weather - it is likely to be different to that which you are used to, so bring lots of layers and a good coat.

In terms of what to bring - maybe you could think about bringing any comfort food? When I went travelling, I took teabags and marmite (!) Just don't forget to check that you are actually allowed to bring it into the country.
about ' What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming'
i was told that manchester is a rainy city, is there any recommendation for like winter wear or clothes to bring forward?
P.S i coming from malaysia, wondering with those winter wear and clothes now!
Original post by raymondlemon
about ' What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming'
i was told that manchester is a rainy city, is there any recommendation for like winter wear or clothes to bring forward?
P.S i coming from malaysia, wondering with those winter wear and clothes now!

Manchester isn't any worse weather-wise than the rest of the Uk, but it will still be a shock to the system for a Malaysian!

I'd recommend bringing lots of layers - you can easily have four seasons in a day, and that is how you deal with it. For instance, when I went to work yesterday there was cold torrential rain; when I came home 6 hours later it was warm sunshine.

These layers should include hoodies, jumpers (aka sweaters to people who have learned American English!), t-shirts, polo shirts, jeans, trackie bottoms and trainers such as converses. You will also need a good thick coat - wool is a good material for this - but I doubt you get such items in Malaysia, so you should get one here once you arrive. An umbrella is also useful, but no one wears Wellington boots in the city, as a lot of people abroad seem to think we do!

If you want to get an idea of what British people are wearing at the moment, then have a look at
- Topshop, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Miss Selfridge, Republic and Primark for girls
- Topman, New Look, Burton, H&M, Republic and Primark for boys. You
(there are lots more, these are just ideas).
If you are anywhere near KL, then there are certainly some UK brands being sold there, although it is no cheaper there than in the UK. For instance, there are Topshops in Suria KLCC and in the mall near Bukit Bintang, amongst others.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Origami Bullets
Manchester isn't any worse weather-wise than the rest of the Uk, but it will still be a shock to the system for a Malaysian!

I'd recommend bringing lots of layers - you can easily have four seasons in a day, and that is how you deal with it. For instance, when I went to work yesterday there was cold torrential rain; when I came home 6 hours later it was warm sunshine.

These layers should include hoodies, jumpers (aka sweaters to people who have learned American English!), t-shirts, polo shirts, jeans, trackie bottoms and trainers such as converses. You will also need a good thick coat - wool is a good material for this - but I doubt you get such items in Malaysia, so you should get one here once you arrive. An umbrella is also useful, but no one wears Wellington boots in the city, as a lot of people abroad seem to think we do!

If you want to get an idea of what British people are wearing at the moment, then have a look at
- Topshop, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Miss Selfridge, Republic and Primark for girls
- Topman, New Look, Burton, H&M, Republic and Primark for boys. You
(there are lots more, these are just ideas).
If you are anywhere near KL, then there are certainly some UK brands being sold there, although it is no cheaper there than in the UK. For instance, there are Topshops in Suria KLCC and in the mall near Bukit Bintang, amongst others.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

wow, thanks for your information ya, i probably will buy few layers(hoodies and sweater i guess) to uk together with my thin jacket and gloves! others like thick jacket should be bought at uk!anything else?

what about blankets?

and any phone carrier to be recommeded? i have been told lebara, lyca and 02?
wow, thanks for your information ya, i probably will buy few layers(hoodies and sweater i guess) to uk together with my thin jacket and gloves! others like thick jacket should be bought at uk!anything else?

what about blankets?

NB don't wait until it gets cold to buy a thick jacket - it's bizarre, but shops will soon start selling winter clothing and will start stocking summer clothes in about December. Essentially, if you want choice over the coat you buy, buy it in September!

People don't normally use blankets here - duvets are much more in fashion. You can order a bedding back from the university if you so wish. Don't spend too much on a duvet in first year, because that will be a single duvet, but when you move into a shared house you will have a double bed, and you will need a double duvet.

If you don't want to get a university bedding pack, then Primark is a good place to buy bedding. It's on the corner of Piccadilly Gardens and Market Street, right next to the bus stop. Ikea is another good option but it's in Ashton-under-Lyne, which is a pain to get to. I'd recommend buying a duvet that is 9 or 10 tog (thickness is measured in tog) and if you find you are too hot / cold as the seasons change, then buy a 4 tog. You can then either use your 4 tog with your other duvet (if you're too cold) or alone (if you're too hot).

You will also need to buy a single fitted sheet, a pillow, a duvet cover and a pillowcase.

Lebara is a good option if you are ringing foreign countries a lot. I've always been with Orange, and have been happy (they have special offers like 2 for 1 cinema tickets on Wednesdays and 20p for an hour's phone call to another UK Orange phone that you choose. However, Tesco and Asda's mobile phone offerings are quite cheap. This is a good comparison http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-sim-cards
Reply 208

what about blankets?

Hi there, I'm a northerner and usually never get cold, however on the subject of blankets, I would get one. I had my duvet, a massive quilted blanket and a fluffy blanket. I lived in a pretty old halls and it got a little bit cold with the draughty windows and corridors. It was freezing, but it could get a bit drafty. Also, they turn the heating off during summer term in some halls and with us being up North in the UK, there can be some pretty cold nights even though it's technically summer. I'd recommend a blanket, just so that you have one if you do get cold. It's better than freezing! :smile:
Reply 209
NB don't wait until it gets cold to buy a thick jacket - it's bizarre, but shops will soon start selling winter clothing and will start stocking summer clothes in about December. Essentially, if you want choice over the coat you buy, buy it in September!

People don't normally use blankets here - duvets are much more in fashion. You can order a bedding back from the university if you so wish. Don't spend too much on a duvet in first year, because that will be a single duvet, but when you move into a shared house you will have a double bed, and you will need a double duvet.

If you don't want to get a university bedding pack, then Primark is a good place to buy bedding. It's on the corner of Piccadilly Gardens and Market Street, right next to the bus stop. Ikea is another good option but it's in Ashton-under-Lyne, which is a pain to get to. I'd recommend buying a duvet that is 9 or 10 tog (thickness is measured in tog) and if you find you are too hot / cold as the seasons change, then buy a 4 tog. You can then either use your 4 tog with your other duvet (if you're too cold) or alone (if you're too hot).

You will also need to buy a single fitted sheet, a pillow, a duvet cover and a pillowcase.

Lebara is a good option if you are ringing foreign countries a lot. I've always been with Orange, and have been happy (they have special offers like 2 for 1 cinema tickets on Wednesdays and 20p for an hour's phone call to another UK Orange phone that you choose. However, Tesco and Asda's mobile phone offerings are quite cheap. This is a good comparison http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-sim-cards

Giffgaff seems good though....
Original post by hhforever
Giffgaff seems good though....

Different tariffs are good for different people. Don't forget to get your phone unlocked before you leave home. That will allow you to try one, and swap to another if it doesn't suit you (you can keep the same number). We're lucky that we're in a big city, as you tend to get full coverage from all the providers, but if you're planning on spending a lot of time in the middle of nowhere you'll have to be a bit more selective about which one you choose.
one more thing, medical checkup requirement??i can't find any online but read some info about vaccination against measles, mumps, rubella and meningitis from those arrival guide sent by UOM! BUT what about those blood test, x-ray, bla bla bla thing
one more thing, medical checkup requirement??i can't find any online but read some info about vaccination against measles, mumps, rubella and meningitis from those arrival guide sent by UOM! BUT what about those blood test, x-ray, bla bla bla thing

Are you coming from the UK or abroad? If it's not the UK, what country are you coming from?

And are you doing a course that involves contact with patients e.g. medicine or nursing?
Are you coming from the UK or abroad? If it's not the UK, what country are you coming from?

And are you doing a course that involves contact with patients e.g. medicine or nursing?

i am from malaysia and i am taking construction management course
i am from malaysia and i am taking construction management course

Hi,

I was hoping you were going to say that you were from the UK - in which case I'd say that they were just recommendations. However, as you're from abroad, I have absolutely no idea what the requirements are, so I'd suggest contacting the department for clarification. At the very least, however, you will need to comply with any conditions set out in your student visa, which is the responsibility of UKBA.
Hi,

I was hoping you were going to say that you were from the UK - in which case I'd say that they were just recommendations. However, as you're from abroad, I have absolutely no idea what the requirements are, so I'd suggest contacting the department for clarification. At the very least, however, you will need to comply with any conditions set out in your student visa, which is the responsibility of UKBA.

haha, ok, i will contact UOM, thanks for your info
Reply 216
How will you know if or when you get your bursaries? I should be eligible for a bursary (below 25k income), but i havnt heard from the uni regarding bursaries. How do i know for sure if and when im getting my bursary?
Original post by 4RealBlud
How will you know if or when you get your bursaries? I should be eligible for a bursary (below 25k income), but i havnt heard from the uni regarding bursaries. How do i know for sure if and when im getting my bursary?

If you submitted all your info via student finance, and you checked the box that allows them to share your info with the uni, then you will get a bursary. I think they're a little slow with admin this year - I haven't had my bursary letter this year either.

Edited to add - I know things have changed for this year, but last year our (cash) bursaries were paid in Nov, Jan and April. I imagine this will be the same for you, and apparently your accommodation bursaries are applied to the last rent payments of the year.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you submitted all your info via student finance, and you checked the box that allows them to share your info with the uni, then you will get a bursary. I think they're a little slow with admin this year - I haven't had my bursary letter this year either.

Edited to add - I know things have changed for this year, but last year our (cash) bursaries were paid in Nov, Jan and April. I imagine this will be the same for you, and apparently your accommodation bursaries are applied to the last rent payments of the year.

Have the bursary amounts changed aswell? I briefly had a look at it today as I'm eligible for the household income bursary and it says I can get £3000?! I think that's more than double what I was offered last year, I never received any accommodation or fee discount... Convinced I must be looking in the wrong place :s.
Original post by tillytots
Have the bursary amounts changed aswell? I briefly had a look at it today as I'm eligible for the household income bursary and it says I can get £3000?! I think that's more than double what I was offered last year, I never received any accommodation or fee discount... Convinced I must be looking in the wrong place :s.

Yes, it's changed - those of us who started in 2011 and were eligible got £1250 last year; I haven't received my bursary letter yet, but I imagine it will be roughly the same. I think they've removed the info for 2011 starters from the website though!

Quick Reply

Latest