The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatPerson
Though can you explain this step; not sure I quite follow (in particular the second term on the last line):

Ach it'll involve some considerable LaTeX. Just try induction, or even just look at k = 1, 2, 3. If you're still stuck I'll write it out :smile:

Original post by atsruser
I did this:

Ah nice!

Right. I was wondering if "cimer" was what people did when they got to the top of a mountain or something. Are you bilingual?

Haha, nah just verlan. And yes I'm French.

:smokin:
This is cute.

Problem 584:

Is the set of real numbers α>1\alpha > 1 such that the distance from kαnk\alpha^n to the nearest integer goes to 0 as nn\to \infty for some positive kk countable?
Original post by Zacken

Ah I remember being fascinated by these numbers :smile:
Reply 3703
Problem 585: If SS is countably infinite, show there exists an uncountable collection {Ai}iI\{A_i\}_{i \in I} of subsets of SS such that each AiA_i is infinite and AiAjA_i \cap A_j is at most finite for iji \neq j.

Found this in a functional analysis text, though the proof is elementary. As an aside, it can be used to show that there does not exist a bounded projection P:c0P : \ell_{\infty} \rightarrow c_0, which in turn implies that c0c_0 is not isomorphic to a dual space.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Ah I remember being fascinated by these numbers :smile:

Sorry, didn't see this reply earlier for some reason. They do have some pretty properties, but I don't know much about them.

Original post by ctrls
Problem 585: If SS is countably infinite, show there exists an uncountable collection {Ai}iI\{A_i\}_{i \in I} of subsets of SS such that each AiA_i is infinite and AiAjA_i \cap A_j is at most finite for iji \neq j.

Found this in a functional analysis text, though the proof is elementary. As an aside, it can be used to show that there does not exist a bounded projection P:c0P : \ell_{\infty} \rightarrow c_0, which in turn implies that c0c_0 is not isomorphic to a dual space.

Biject to the rationals via countability, so it is enough to consider Q\mathbb{Q} (just invert/transport everything back along the bijection).

For every αR\alpha \in \mathbb{R} pick a sequence of rationals Aα={αn}nNA_{\alpha} = \{\alpha_n \}_{n\in \mathbb{N}} converging to α\alpha. For two sequences αn\alpha_n and βn\beta_n sharing infinite many terms, these terms would define a common subsequence and so α=β\alpha = \beta. So we get an uncountable collection {Aα}αR\{A_{\alpha}\}_{\alpha \in \mathbb{R}} with pairwise finite intersections.

Don't know enough functional analysis to understand your last paragraph, but it sounds cool: \ell_{\infty} is set of (bounded?) sequences equipped with the sup norm and c0c_0 is the set of sequences converging to 00, right? What's a bounded projection and why does the above imply one doesn't exist? What's a dual space? Why does the above imply c0c_0 is not isomorphic to a dual space? Initial thought was that all dual spaces were isomorphic to 0\ell_{0} but that doesn't seem anywhere near correct just via cardinality considerations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3705
Original post by Zacken

Biject to the rationals via countability, so it is enough to consider Q\mathbb{Q} (just invert/transport everything back along the bijection).

For every αR\alpha \in \mathbb{R} pick a sequence of rationals Aα={αn}nNA_{\alpha} = \{\alpha_n \}_{n\in \mathbb{N}} converging to α\alpha. For two sequences αn\alpha_n and βn\beta_n, they would define a common subsequence and so α=β\alpha = \beta. So we get an uncountable collection {Aα}αR\{A_{\alpha}\}_{\alpha \in \mathbb{R}} with pairwise finite intersections.

Perfect, this was also what was given in the book.

Original post by Zacken

Don't know enough functional analysis to understand your last paragraph, but it sounds cool: \ell_{\infty} is set of (bounded?) sequences equipped with the sup norm and c0c_0 is the set of sequences converging to 00, right? What's a bounded projection and why does the above imply one doesn't exist? What's a dual space? Why does the above imply c0c_0 is not isomorphic to a dual space? Initial thought was that all dual spaces were isomorphic to 0\ell_{0} but that doesn't seem anywhere near correct just via cardinality considerations.

You're correct about the definitions of the spaces (and yes we only consider bounded sequences). The notation is a bit sloppy, but viewing c0c_0 \subset \ell_{\infty}, a projection in this context is a bounded linear map P:P : \ell_{\infty} \rightarrow \ell_{\infty} such that P2=PP^2=P and P()=c0P(\ell_{\infty}) = c_0. Also in the context of functional analysis we require all maps to be continuous, so it's much harder for spaces to be isomorphic unlike in linear algebra (we need a linear homeomorphism). In the same spirit, if XX is a normed space then its dual XX^* is the set of continuous linear functionals P:XRP : X \rightarrow \mathbb R or C\mathbb C.

Proving this claim takes a bit more work, but the idea is to apply the result to S=NS = \mathbb N and show that if f()f \in (\ell_{\infty})^{\ast} then the set {iI:f(χAi)0}\{i \in I : f(\chi_{A_i}) \neq 0 \} is countable (χAi\chi_{A_i} is the indicator function/sequence of each AiA_i). If such a projection PP exists, then c0=Ker(idP)=nNen(idP)c_0 = \mathrm{Ker}\, (\mathrm{id}-P) = \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} e_n^{\ast} \circ (\mathrm{id}-P), where each en()e_n^{\ast} \in (\ell_{\infty})^{\ast} is the nth coordinate functional. But this is an intersection of linear functionals, so by cardinality considerations it contains some χAi\chi_{A_i}, which is a contradiction as each χAi∉c0\chi_{A_i} \not\in c_0.

The last claim follows from a general fact that if XX is a normed space, there exists a bounded projection P:XXP : X^{***} \rightarrow X^*. The idea is to take the canonical embedding i:XXi : X \rightarrow X^{**} and show its adjoint is a projection making appropriate identifications. We can apply this result here since c0c_0^{**} \cong \ell_{\infty}, making sure everything still works up to isomorphism.
Original post by ctrls
You're correct about the definitions of the spaces (and yes we only consider bounded sequences). The notation is a bit sloppy, but viewing c0c_0 \subset \ell_{\infty}, a projection in this context is a bounded linear map P:P : \ell_{\infty} \rightarrow \ell_{\infty} such that P2=PP^2=P and P()=c0P(\ell_{\infty}) = c_0. Also in the context of functional analysis we require all maps to be continuous, so it's much harder for spaces to be isomorphic unlike in linear algebra (we need a linear homeomorphism). In the same spirit, if XX is a normed space then its dual XX^* is the set of continuous linear functionals P:XRP : X \rightarrow \mathbb R or C\mathbb C.

Proving this claim takes a bit more work, but the idea is to apply the result to S=NS = \mathbb N and show that if f()f \in (\ell_{\infty})^{\ast} then the set {iI:f(χAi)0}\{i \in I : f(\chi_{A_i}) \neq 0 \} is countable (χAi\chi_{A_i} is the indicator function/sequence of each AiA_i). If such a projection PP exists, then c0=Ker(idP)=nNen(idP)c_0 = \mathrm{Ker}\, (\mathrm{id}-P) = \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} e_n^{\ast} \circ (\mathrm{id}-P), where each en()e_n^{\ast} \in (\ell_{\infty})^{\ast} is the nth coordinate functional. But this is an intersection of linear functionals, so by cardinality considerations it contains some χAi\chi_{A_i}, which is a contradiction as each χAi∉c0\chi_{A_i} \not\in c_0.

The last claim follows from a general fact that if XX is a normed space, there exists a bounded projection P:XXP : X^{***} \rightarrow X^*. The idea is to take the canonical embedding i:XXi : X \rightarrow X^{**} and show its adjoint is a projection making appropriate identifications. We can apply this result here since c0c_0^{**} \cong \ell_{\infty}, making sure everything still works up to isomorphism.

Thanks for that; I understood the general gist of it. Functional Analysis seems really cool, definitely something I'll take next year. What book are you using, by the way?
Reply 3707
Original post by Zacken
Thanks for that; I understood the general gist of it. Functional Analysis seems really cool, definitely something I'll take next year. What book are you using, by the way?

The book is Carothers' "A Short Course on Banach Space Theory." It assumes prior knowledge of the subject, but it's quite a nice and gentle introduction to some of the later topics.
Problem 586

To every real assign a finite set of reals that does not contain it. Is there always a continuum-sized set that does not intersect its corresponding assigned set of numbers?
(edited 6 years ago)
Problem 587*

There are 20 runners in a race. How many different possible podiums are there?
These are two problems which have really gorgeous proofs.

Problem 588*

Put finitely many points in the plane, scattered such that they are not all in a line. Show that there is a line going through exactly two of them.

Problem 589*

People attend a party, some are friends some are not. Show that it is possible to divide the people into two groups such that within each group, each person has evenly many friends.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Problem 588*

Put finitely many points in the plane, scattered such that they are not all in a line. Show that there is a line going through exactly two of them.

I've seen the proof of this before, so won't answer it here. But it really is gorgeous (especially considering when you take into account when it was proved).
Original post by Zacken
I've seen the proof of this before, so won't answer it here. But it really is gorgeous (especially considering when you take into account when it was proved).

Indeed! And an incredibly frustrating problem too. It was an a Numbers & Sets sheet funnily enough no rewards for guessing who the lecturer was...
Problem 590***
Given 541541 points in the interior of a circle of unit radius, show that there must be a subset of 1010 points whose diameter (The maximum distance between any pair of points) is less than 24\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}.

Spoiler

Problem 591**
Here's one I came across recently. Evaluate 0xex1 dx\displaystyle \int^\infty_0\frac{x}{e^x-1}\ dx.

A hint for A Level students:

Spoiler

Original post by I hate maths
Problem 591**
Here's one I came across recently. Evaluate 0xex1 dx\displaystyle \int^\infty_0\frac{x}{e^x-1}\ dx

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x}{e^x - 1} \, \mathrm{d}x &= \int_0^{\infty} \frac{xe^{-x}}{1 - e^{-x}} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & = \sum_{n \geqslant 1} \int_0^{\infty}xe^{-nx} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & = \sum_{n \geqslant 1} \frac{1}{n} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-nx} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & = \sum_{n \geqslant 1} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}\end{align*}

by multiplying by ex/exe^{-x}/e^{-x}, expanding out a geometric series and interchanging summation and integration using the monotone convergence theorem, integration by parts and quoting the Basel respectively.
Problem 591**
Here's one I came across recently. Evaluate 0xex1 dx\displaystyle \int^\infty_0\frac{x}{e^x-1}\ dx.

A hint for A Level students:

Spoiler

Where did you stumble upon this, out of interest? I also found it in a book that I was reading. There's actually a whole thread dedicated to tricky integrals, if you're not already aware, I'm sure you'll find it interesting :h:
Original post by _gcx
Where did you stumble upon this, out of interest? I also found it in a book that I was reading. There's actually a whole thread dedicated to tricky integrals, if you're not already aware :h:

Thank you for the link. I got this question from someone I know who's doing maths at university.
Thank you for the link. I got this question from someone I know who's doing maths at university.

No problem :h: If you're interested, I stumbled across it in a book called "Inside Interesting Integrals", which might be worth checking out if you have an interest in hard integrals. (also Alyafeai's Advanced Integration Techniques is pretty nice)
Reply 3719
Original post by ctrls

There was a time you would drop these in my Facebook inbox every now and again :colone:. Very nice. It blew my mind cos I realised I'd never bothered to understand projections properly. I was thinking "can one project onto any subspace? Sure, why not."

I haven't figured out the problem you set, alas. I have countably-many pairwise-disjoint subsets of the naturals.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest