The Student Room Group

Cambridge Decisions 2016 - info and FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmaa24
Mine had 2 body paragraphs. The first one gave me some stats, and the second one was about why I didn't make it. I thought the feedback was was quite detailed - they clearly outlined why I was invited for an interview, and why I wasn't offered a place quite concisely.

Edit: I also had an overall application score.

wow, I still haven't received any feedback from Caius... did they send it directly to you or through your referee?
Original post by granderre
wow, I still haven't received any feedback from Caius... did they send it directly to you or through your referee?

They sent it directly to me since I'm an international applicant and graduated from high school last year. Maybe ask your referee and make sure the email hasn't ended up in their spam or something? :/

Or you could wait until the end of February to ask. I think that's when they should have finished all the feedback.
I still haven't received any feedback. I think it's supposed to come through your referee, though.
Hi! I'm an international student (from Peru!!) and have applied to MSc degrees at Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Kent.

I sent my last reference for Cambridge on Dec 15 for the MSc Conservation Leadership and my status still shows "Awaiting consideration by department" in my self service account. I'm so anxious! Just want to get an answer already, don't care what type of answer anymore.

How long do you guys think I'd have to wait? I think they go through UK and EU applications first?

Best of luck to everyone!!
Original post by NekoLele
Hi! I'm an international student (from Peru!!) and have applied to MSc degrees at Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Kent.

I sent my last reference for Cambridge on Dec 15 for the MSc Conservation Leadership and my status still shows "Awaiting consideration by department" in my self service account. I'm so anxious! Just want to get an answer already, don't care what type of answer anymore.

How long do you guys think I'd have to wait? I think they go through UK and EU applications first?

Best of luck to everyone!!

This thread is mostly for UG applicants.

You should probably ask in the thread below, it's for PG Cambridge applicants:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3533661
Dear all at TSR:

It is a late reply but I decided to add mine after both US and UK cycles ended, as an international student, to contribute here with an objective mindset.
I was rejected by Hughes Hall for mathematics in January, but the decision compelled me to find weak spots in my attitude towards academics and being, and to examine my life and purpose with refreshing views. I re-adjusted and became mentally stronger, and live more lively in face of adversity, any adversity or problem. One shall not tolerate problems, but plan to address the root causes and act upon the plan to improve, to challenge to be better, at any time in life.
Then, I received and accepted offer from Columbia University to begin undergraduate study in NYC. And after much scrutiny and research, I became determined that Columbia is the right and best place for me personally.

For applicants, especially anxiety-driven international ones (Asia in particular), I think it is most appropriate to bear in mind that the decisions from institutions, even the highest ranking ones, are not comparable because each, and each department within it, have very distinctive characters and distinctive sets of parameters when judging the applicants' merits. For the top institutions, standardized test scores are merely one facade, and it's the right balance potentials to be what the admissions or tutors are looking for that get one admitted. The viewpoint from applicant's and that of admissions/ tutors can vary drastically. The latter is to be respected utterly, because the eye to discover the right "fit" is one aspect of what distinguishes a higher education institution. And try to be relaxed :smile:
Of course, I have witnessed inspiring cases here and in real life where one tried for several times, myself included, to land where one dream of. In such cases, it is up to each individual student to determine the costs and benefits, to assess whether it is realistic. But in the end, it is because the individual applicant transformed and strengthened in the areas that admissions are impressed in the right way, that one gets what he wants. Sometimes, the areas are not merely academics but character building through experience, and the latter, in turn, would spark a higher academic pursuit.

I sincerely appreciate such a well-maintained forum with awesome people, past and present and beyond, and hope my post would contribute as an unique voice to those who get rejected :tongue:

Hope all the best for all!
I was also rejected by Lucy Cavendish, but I was kind of expecting it considering how badly English literature is taught in my country. They said in their feedback that although I do have the motivation and the passion, I don't have the grounding in English they expect applicants to have. I'd love to go to Durham, Exeter, York or UEA (I got 3 unconditional offers and one conditional one), but none of these unies offer the funding (and the disability support) I need to study in England, or even if they do, I couldn't afford to fund the support so I had to turn down all my offers. This time I'll be applying with an English literature A-level (I'm lucky enough to have an excellent tutor) and the grounding in literary theory I didn't have when I applied. My backup choice will be UCL, as they offer a lot of scholarships and their English course is excellent!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending