The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

Scroll to see replies

Original post by christinasrose
Just to say (I work at Debenhams in the cosmetics department so I know about promotions and stuff ) for the next 5 days, if you spend over 30 pounds on cosmetics you get a 5 pound bonus on your beauty club card and once that finishes there's going to be 10% off all cosmetics so you could get the naked palette either with a bonus or for £31.50 :smile:

Or if you know anyone who works in Debenhams get them to buy it for you with the 20% bonus !

Ooh, does that apply online as well in store? And I used to have a friend who worked there, never took advantage of her discount though :frown:
Reply 221
Original post by hannahchan
anyone got recommendations for eyeliners and mascaras for cheap?

i got eye pencils but they're pretty ****e.. also i end up looking like the grudge so so techiques would be useful too :smile:..

Why not go for a liquid eyeliner, one with a soft brush sort of like a paintbrush. Its goes on smooth and easy and its easy to apply, no matter what thickness you want. Also a few pages back there is a diagram of an eye where you can judge where to put your eye liner properly.
Like say the waterline or lower lash line. I always pencil in the lower lash line lightly, not to add such a dark line but to give the eye definition. Use liquid for the top not very thick and it makes the eyes looks bigger and defined.
Id always reccomend Bourjois liquid eyeliner, its not cheap but it last sooo long you wouldnt believe and maxfactor masterpiece mascara. Again not cheap but lasts such a long time.

Hope that helps

:biggrin:
Original post by Mega Nerd
Ooh, does that apply online as well in store? And I used to have a friend who worked there, never took advantage of her discount though :frown:

It does apply online; in fact I'm pretty sure you get extra bonus points on your beauty card for shopping online but any discounts will defs be online as well :smile:
It's so nice having the discount card :smile: although I spend way too much of my money on make up now so I'm not actaully saving any money lol
Reply 223
Original post by christinasrose
It does apply online; in fact I'm pretty sure you get extra bonus points on your beauty card for shopping online but any discounts will defs be online as well :smile:
It's so nice having the discount card :smile: although I spend way too much of my money on make up now so I'm not actaully saving any money lol

Hi, do you know when the Debenhams 10% off beauty and perfume finishes? I want to get a few things before it does but want to wait until next week if possible! Thanks
Reply 224
Original post by hmaus
Hi, do you know when the Debenhams 10% off beauty and perfume finishes? I want to get a few things before it does but want to wait until next week if possible! Thanks

Ooooh what were u thinking about getting?
Reply 225
Original post by Lovin
Ooooh what were u thinking about getting?

The main thing I want is Armani Acqua di Gioia perfume. I want to get a new perfume for my sister too, possibly thinking DKNY the new pink blossom one.

Can't remember now what else I had in mind but I'm sure I would manage to get a few bits and pieces. I need to go to Debenhams anyway to stock on up on some Clinique while Bonus Time is on, so it would be good if I could get that 10% off too :biggrin:
Reply 226
Original post by hmaus
The main thing I want is Armani Acqua di Gioia perfume. I want to get a new perfume for my sister too, possibly thinking DKNY the new pink blossom one.

Can't remember now what else I had in mind but I'm sure I would manage to get a few bits and pieces. I need to go to Debenhams anyway to stock on up on some Clinique while Bonus Time is on, so it would be good if I could get that 10% off too :biggrin:

Awesome hun :biggrin: enjoy it
All these eyeshadow looks aren't exactly everyday wear really. I'm getting so bored of the flicked top liner and black eyeliner look now but don't know what else to do that's everyday!
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
All these eyeshadow looks aren't exactly everyday wear really. I'm getting so bored of the flicked top liner and black eyeliner look now but don't know what else to do that's everyday!

Browns and muted tones?
Reply 229

Why not go for a natural look, like less eyeliner, slight bit of mascara, maybe a pale shade on the eyelids to brighten the eyes and a soft foundation or powder.
These looks are generally just to brighten the skin. Have u tried something like this?
What are you after? specifics and ill see what i can find :smile:
Original post by Lovin
Why not go for a natural look, like less eyeliner, slight bit of mascara, maybe a pale shade on the eyelids to brighten the eyes and a soft foundation or powder.
These looks are generally just to brighten the skin. Have u tried something like this?
What are you after? specifics and ill see what i can find :smile:

What you described sounds perfect if done right but I can't see it on me! I've never worn eye shadow either because my lids are small.
I go to quite an asian uni and am asian (indian) myself. One thing about asian girls (myself included) is that they love eyeliner flicked at the top and heavy on the bottom too (like intense gel liner). I like the look once in a while but it's just soooo typical now.
I'm thinking something glowy and natural. Right now, i wear foundation, blusher and quite heavy dark eyes. I sometimes find that just blusher and brown eyeliner gives a nice fresh look but I dunno what else. I think i look better with less effort on the make-up but my skin tone isn't that even and my eyes are fairly small. I want clean and neutral because the make up i do now tends to look 'dirty' by the end of the day. I don't put anything on my lips but maybe a nice warm lipstick but not one where you can blatantly tell i'm wearing it.
Like glossy clean make up that looks like you aren't wearing much. Coloured eye liners? I think my foundation needs changing too...Right now it's MAC studio fix. I love make up when i've found the right thing but sometimes i just don't have the patience to try and test everything! I can't live without my blusher though..not like racer red cheeks or anything though...
Sorry for the essay!!!!
Reply 231
What you described sounds perfect if done right but I can't see it on me! I've never worn eye shadow either because my lids are small.
I go to quite an asian uni and am asian (indian) myself. One thing about asian girls (myself included) is that they love eyeliner flicked at the top and heavy on the bottom too (like intense gel liner). I like the look once in a while but it's just soooo typical now.
I'm thinking something glowy and natural. Right now, i wear foundation, blusher and quite heavy dark eyes. I sometimes find that just blusher and brown eyeliner gives a nice fresh look but I dunno what else. I think i look better with less effort on the make-up but my skin tone isn't that even and my eyes are fairly small. I want clean and neutral because the make up i do now tends to look 'dirty' by the end of the day. I don't put anything on my lips but maybe a nice warm lipstick but not one where you can blatantly tell i'm wearing it.
Like glossy clean make up that looks like you aren't wearing much. Coloured eye liners? I think my foundation needs changing too...Right now it's MAC studio fix. I love make up when i've found the right thing but sometimes i just don't have the patience to try and test everything! I can't live without my blusher though..not like racer red cheeks or anything though...
Sorry for the essay!!!!

Ok, no problem about the essay. Since you said you were asian/indian i looked up natural day make-up. It doesnt say how they got the look. But here's what I've come up with.

It's always easier to copy from an image than to go from a mental image. From what it looks like theyve done is a nice foundation that covers the skin nicely. But dont forget everyone has their preferred foundation so this is all up to personal preference. They havnt gone very heavy on the eyeliner at all in fact it doesnt look like theyv got any on. The mascara is what highlights the eyes and it does it very effectively.
However for the eyeshadow, they seem to be wearing a very light colour to highlight, and a soft brown in the crease of the eye to add a bit of variant or contrast, which works well, makes your eyes look bigger without the aid of eyeliner.
Try soft natural browns.
A nice soft blush, something a little darker or lighter than your skin itself will either chisel or highlight your cheek bones, it depends on what you fancy tbh.
I really hope these pictures help. If it's exactly what your looking for repost and I'll have another look around :smile:
Original post by Lovin
Ok, no problem about the essay. Since you said you were asian/indian i looked up natural day make-up. It doesnt say how they got the look. But here's what I've come up with.

It's always easier to copy from an image than to go from a mental image. From what it looks like theyve done is a nice foundation that covers the skin nicely. But dont forget everyone has their preferred foundation so this is all up to personal preference. They havnt gone very heavy on the eyeliner at all in fact it doesnt look like theyv got any on. The mascara is what highlights the eyes and it does it very effectively.
However for the eyeshadow, they seem to be wearing a very light colour to highlight, and a soft brown in the crease of the eye to add a bit of variant or contrast, which works well, makes your eyes look bigger without the aid of eyeliner.
Try soft natural browns.
A nice soft blush, something a little darker or lighter than your skin itself will either chisel or highlight your cheek bones, it depends on what you fancy tbh.
I really hope these pictures help. If it's exactly what your looking for repost and I'll have another look around :smile:

The mascara was the key thing I noticed in all of the pics. Maybe i should try brown mascara so it's not so dark and thick, esp since I have small eyes anyway. It's the flawless glossy look that I love which comes from the foundation. What's the difference between chiseling and highlighting?! Chiseled is what i'm going for (i think) because I wear my hair middle parted so it's important to have my face look symmetrical as crazy as that sounds..like i always have to make sure my eyebrows are neat and stuff.
Thank you for going to the effort!!
Reply 233
The mascara was the key thing I noticed in all of the pics. Maybe i should try brown mascara so it's not so dark and thick, esp since I have small eyes anyway. It's the flawless glossy look that I love which comes from the foundation. What's the difference between chiseling and highlighting?! Chiseled is what i'm going for (i think) because I wear my hair middle parted so it's important to have my face look symmetrical as crazy as that sounds..like i always have to make sure my eyebrows are neat and stuff.

Your welcome hun. I have always classified chiseling as darker blush making your cheeks more dramatic, as highlighting iv defined as basically a lighter blush making ur face appearing light. Obviously not lighter than your skin, that would be counter productive.
I hope it helps and a brown mascara might do the trick :smile: try a light colour for eyebrow filling too. Might frame the eyes so less need for any other eye make-up
Reply 234

I just want to get involved in this thread somehow so here's some tips from me. :smile:
If you have small eyes you should not be afraid to use mascara. Use an eyelash curler and mascara and it will open up your eyes! Don't be afraid of a black one and don't forget there are different types, it can make your lashes thicker or longer.
Using bright colors will brigthen up your eyes and make them pop. Black makes you look slimmer - it does the same with eyes - makes them look smaller. You can just use one vanilla color on all the lid and it can do the trick!
If you use darker colors on your eyes, use bright pink/naked color lipstick so it would draw everyone's attention to your eyes.

Hope it helps.
Original post by Car0llle
I just want to get involved in this thread somehow so here's some tips from me. :smile:
If you have small eyes you should not be afraid to use mascara. Use an eyelash curler and mascara and it will open up your eyes! Don't be afraid of a black one and don't forget there are different types, it can make your lashes thicker or longer.
Using bright colors will brigthen up your eyes and make them pop. Black makes you look slimmer - it does the same with eyes - makes them look smaller. You can just use one vanilla color on all the lid and it can do the trick!
If you use darker colors on your eyes, use bright pink/naked color lipstick so it would draw everyone's attention to your eyes.

Hope it helps.

Awww thank you. I prefer lengthening mascaras to volumising ones and I couldn't live without my eyelash curler. I tried really light neutral eye make up...like just brown eyeliner and someone asked me if I had slept and that I looked stressed. So needless to say I won't be doing it like that again!!
But yeah, I should definitely try eyeshadows. I've tried it before and when I do one eye and leave the other, there really is a big difference. I should buy some cheap ones to experiment with before I splash out but I like the idea of vanilla. What about eye shadow under the eye?
Reply 236
Awww thank you. I prefer lengthening mascaras to volumising ones and I couldn't live without my eyelash curler. I tried really light neutral eye make up...like just brown eyeliner and someone asked me if I had slept and that I looked stressed. So needless to say I won't be doing it like that again!!
But yeah, I should definitely try eyeshadows. I've tried it before and when I do one eye and leave the other, there really is a big difference. I should buy some cheap ones to experiment with before I splash out but I like the idea of vanilla. What about eye shadow under the eye?

Putting eyeshadow under the eye also brightens the eyes a lot. Highlighting with a shimmery bright eyeshadow in your inner eye corner and even eyeliner can make you look awake a lot. Don't forget to smudge. Like so

http://bunbunmakeuptips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Eye-Makeup-Tutorial_Eyeshadow-Horizontal-Gradient-Method_15.jpg

I love this trick! Try it. :h:
Original post by Car0llle
Putting eyeshadow under the eye also brightens the eyes a lot. Highlighting with a shimmery bright eyeshadow in your inner eye corner and even eyeliner can make you look awake a lot. Don't forget to smudge. Like so

http://bunbunmakeuptips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Eye-Makeup-Tutorial_Eyeshadow-Horizontal-Gradient-Method_15.jpg

I love this trick! Try it. :h:

Ohhh I like it! Now to work on technique :colondollar: Right when my exams finish, I intend to sit there for hours on end playing around with different colours and make up!!
Pink shade around eye with black liner seems like sunset.
I have to admit I'm one of those girls who is always wearing bright coloured eye shadow or lipstick. Doesn't matter the colour or combination, I'll do it. I get a lot of weird looks as most people don't seem to like it - but it's what I enjoy. My "me" time in the morning when getting ready.

Quick Reply

Latest