The Student Room Group

What is the greatest art form?

Scroll to see replies

I'm all for words. They have moved me more than any other art form ever have.

But in an ideal, imaginary world (one that defies propriety and logic we are accustomed to), endless body sculpting and modifications would be phenomenally liberating. Imagine a world where our bodies are like the play dough we played with as children. We are all able to sculpt ourselves according to our emotions whenever we want. It's like playing God. It's grotesque and tragic, but art defies nature after all. Yes, there is plastic surgery. And yes, most of us find it repulsive. But in an alternate universe, I think it could be the greatest form of self-expression. But the danger of it is that we might lose our selves, or never know who we truly are at all.

lul well that's just one my random thoughts on the matter. It's borderline rambling. :ahee:

One never really knows what the greatest form of art is. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Reply 21
Yeah, I don't really think there is an answer to this. The exact same ideas in an artistic work will be expressed differently depending on the medium. For what it's worth, the two I 'do' most are visual art and literature.

Edit: I just realised that I can used my favourite word: Gesamkunstwerk. It means a kind of universality amongst art forms (amongst other things). Go me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
As I'm obsessed with Schopenhauer's thought, I would say music, as it is a direct form of communicating an idea, coming to you in a clear and unique way, and entering your mind with no means in between. But thinking about myself, the only techniques that really allow me to express myself are painting and drawing, with no particular reasons. I just feel comfortable and satisfied with them.
It's a bit like asking what the best kind of spoon is, really. Phrasing the question in such an objective way seems a little pointless and perhaps a little facile. The form which has the most effect on me in general is music: it can instantly make me feel a certain emotion in a way that written words or visual displays just won't to the same extent.

I am a musician, but in terms of getting a certain emotion out I tend to find art to be the way. Usually pencil or pen and ink.
(edited 12 years ago)
Music, videogames. You may laugh but there are those that say film and I've played games that evoke much greater emotion than many films do.
The written word. :biggrin:
I would love to have the ability to paint though. I always get images in my head, I know if I tried to draw them they'd appear flat and so far removed from the original in my head that I'd write them instead. :emo: I prefer literature to art as well.
Reply 26
For me, it has to be fashion. I wrote an essay for my GCSE English persuasive essay titled "Why I believe that fashion should be considered as a true art form".
Some may say it's silly but everyone's different, i suppose :smile:
Me.

And after that, music.
Music by far. It is the only art form that does not require a material reference to be understood.

"To stimulate the knowledge of these Ideas by depicting individual things (for works of art are themselves always such) is the aim of all the other non-musical arts . . . [but] music, since it passes over the Ideas, is . . . quite independent of the phenomenal world, positively ignores it, and, to a certain extent, could still exist even if there were no world at all, which cannot be said of the other arts (Ibid)."

EDIT:
Original post by Tanitaly
As I'm obsessed with Schopenhauer's thought, I would say music, as it is a direct form of communicating an idea, coming to you in a clear and unique way, and entering your mind with no means in between. But thinking about myself, the only techniques that really allow me to express myself are painting and drawing, with no particular reasons. I just feel comfortable and satisfied with them.

Original post by geetar

Edit: I just realised that I can used my favourite word: Gesamkunstwerk. It means a kind of universality amongst art forms (amongst other things). Go me.

Never thought I'd see anyone else interested in those two things and they happen to occur in the same thread.

yey :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by j.alexanderh
'
Instrumental music has the great combined appeal of being the most abstract of the arts and also the most viscerally powerful.

Completely your opinion
music and literature.
Art = bellringing. We often refer to it as "The Art" (note "The" - not an art, the art!!) and it is my ideal and realistic way of expressing myself. Good for the brain and arms, social, and fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAQ6i7Hjirk
Reply 32
Original post by Jtking3000
Music by far. It is the only art form that does not require a material reference to be understood.

"To stimulate the knowledge of these Ideas by depicting individual things (for works of art are themselves always such) is the aim of all the other non-musical arts . . . [but] music, since it passes over the Ideas, is . . . quite independent of the phenomenal world, positively ignores it, and, to a certain extent, could still exist even if there were no world at all, which cannot be said of the other arts (Ibid)."

EDIT:

Never thought I'd see anyone else interested in those two things and they happen to occur in the same thread.

yey :biggrin:

I really can't believe in this, I mean...are you a real person? Gesamtkunstwerk is my favourite word as well! ahhhhh wow!
A pleasure to 'meet' you guys, nice thread! :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Chillaxer
How would you choose to express yourself given the choice, in an ideal world, what is the best art form?

And, secondly, which is the one you choose in reality, with practical considerations? Why did you choose it and how do you get on with it better?

I am curious, as have dabbled in much creativity but not focused on one method.

I do include photography and interior design in this btw. Even cartography/psychogeography etc.

Well I love literature, poetry, painting, time based arts, architecture, dance and though I have no skill myself the work of musicians. As a practitioner I've published a couple of books, painted and made a film. Looking at the work of others I've had moments of great awe or joy from most art forms.

However for me I've gained my greatest moments of creative satisfaction from planting and developing a garden. Its something to do with the combination of the visual with scent and sound. It is awesome to be creating with living forms.. rather like a slow performance or dance and I love the way everything is both slow to change and yet can change so quickly in different light and weather. There is also a seasonal narrative and the sense that the tree you plant around has been there a lot longer than you and the tree you plant will be there longer still. There is the sheer physicality of it too and the way you are never totally in control of the end result. Fantastic stuff. I feel like a musician when I create areas to catch the wind making rustling noises or plants to attracts the nests of birds or the buzz of bees and a painter when I stand back and see the whole visual effect. For me it combines all the things I love seperately in other art forms into one.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kingkongjaffa
Completely your opinion

He said at the start of his post that it's just his opinion.

Anyway, I'd say music, but I was never one for art.
“Without music, life would be an error.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Poetry and prose.
Reply 37
Definitely music and creative writing for me.
Reply 38
Original post by Pitt1988
Definitely music and creative writing for me.

I think they are great and profound, but I can attain no focus or sense of completion with them, only frustration. At least with photography or design I could.
Reply 39
Original post by Chillaxer
I think they are great and profound, but I can attain no focus or sense of completion with them, only frustration. At least with photography or design I could.

Isn't that because the photograph creates a physical object; a sense of 'finishing'. However creative writing is like this too is you actually write and then the book is published. There is a physical object in your hand. Job done.

Creative writing that doesn't get to the published stage (or performance stage for some poets) does feel much more like a private pursuit with no finished object in sight and much less sense of completion is possible.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest